PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Paint Guard question

east_stingray
09-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I used UPGP on my new Forester yesterday and have a question for the forum. I washed first with Sonus wash, then cleaned with Sonus Paintwork cleaner. I applied the UPGP with only one streak spot on the hood (pretty good for a first-time synthetic user!). Two hours after application, I ended up leaving to go to a last-minute family reunion which required freeway driving. At hour 3, it started pouring rain on us.

I know that the instructions say that it`s ok to drive after an hour, but the rain worried me. Do I need to start this whole process over, or is three hours enough that I don`t need to worry about it? The streak on the hood is still there, if that matters.

Also, if applying more than one layer of UPGP, does it all need to be done in the same "session", just 12 hours apart, or is it ok to wash again and then apply another coat? If I do that do I need to use some sort of cleaner, or will that just take off the first coat?

Thanks to everyone for any advice you may have.

east_stingray
09-10-2009, 04:48 PM
bump to the top

JeffM
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Just re apply after u wash and dry

CEE DOG
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Also 6 months from now or whenever you do start from scratch use Ultima Paint Prep Plus before the UPGP. This has special primers in it which will help the UPGP hold longer and better. For now I would agree with last post. Wash well and apply your final coat or 2. Don`t use the UPPP untill it`s time to start over.

east_stingray
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. That`s what I needed to know. Bugs from the trip came off easier than I expected, so it`s possible that the first coat took despite the rain.

akimel
09-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I`m a UPGP fan. The streaking should come out the next time you wash your car. Apply your second coat then. Apply a third coat after the wash after next. That should set you up for the winter months.

Dsoto87
09-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I would be worried about durability. Your paint shouldnt get wet before the 12 hour cure time. If it was 8 or 10 hours i think it would be ok but 3 hours is pushing it a little. If your going to reapply pretty soon than it should be no problem

You should always wait 12 hours if your trying to "layer" it

gorgehound
09-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I`m also a big fan of UPGP. Water is bad during the first 12 hours. It`s so easy to apply, it`s almost no point in worrying if one coat is perfect or not. Just have at it and keep applying after washes.

The only thing I`ve used that UPGP doesn`t play well with is Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. It`s a cleaner/glaze with good amount of oils that looks soooo delicious on a red car, but UPGP doesn`t seem to stick on it. After 2 coats it`s just not slick.

EZ-creme, however is magic with UPGP.

tenorplayer23
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
First, condolences for having the Browns this year...............mangini is going to make this a longggggggg season.

Second, CG EZ Creme Glaze under UPGP works well (I assume, in that order)? I assume your assessment is on red? I ask because it sounds like a very good combo on red, although I haven`t tried it.

Thx for the info.

See ya :wavey

PS - I`m a Bills fan, so the longgggggggg season applies "all over". They looked terrific last night, but.........the severity of their schedule is gonna make things extra tough for this year!

I`m also a big fan of UPGP. Water is bad during the first 12 hours. It`s so easy to apply, it`s almost no point in worrying if one coat is perfect or not. Just have at it and keep applying after washes.

The only thing I`ve used that UPGP doesn`t play well with is Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. It`s a cleaner/glaze with good amount of oils that looks soooo delicious on a red car, but UPGP doesn`t seem to stick on it. After 2 coats it`s just not slick.

EZ-creme, however is magic with UPGP.