PDA

View Full Version : What did I do Wrong?

flash_e
09-05-2009, 08:07 AM
I am polishing my parents truck that does not have clear coat and I clayed the truck and performed my test sections. One with the Uber green / Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze #7 and the other with the LC CSC Orange / Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze #7. Found that the Orange/#7 produced the better shine. So I started a section with that combination next to my test samples but I appears that the test sample is still a little brighter and richer looking. I am making sure the polish is breaking down. Is it possible I am breaking the polish down too much and drying it out. My parents do not notice it but I do and it buggs me. I have the Menzerna polishes but I am using the Meguiars on Mike P`s suggestion. I have to say he is right on and the oils do bring the shine out. So what do you guys think is wrong? Technique or just a difference in the paint and fading? The test sample was on the roof. Under a halogen light I can not see a difference but under normal garage lights I can.

Setec Astronomy
09-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I`m not sure if "breaking down" is really the right way to describe #7. It`s more of a "working it in". IMO you really need to start with something a little more aggressive unless the truck is in perfect condition already--if you want to stick with Meguiar`s that would be #9 which you should be able to get at Pep Boys, or #80 or 82, then finish with the #7.

DaGonz
09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Setec is right on with is advice...

Meg`s #7 can be a "biatch" to work with, especially if it is a humid day. if not properly worked in and wiped down, it will cause streaks in your lsp.

flash_e
09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
The test section was with a brand new lc orange pad. I also tired the lc yellow pad with #7 and I did not see any different results. Should I try a more aggressive mez polish followed by #7.

Accumulator
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM
flash_e- I don`t see the point in using aggressive pads with a functionally nonabrasive product. If you need a lot of porosity for some reason (I guess I can understand that with #7, but I dunno :think: ) then I`d still use something soft enough to completely avoid any micromarring.

Note that pretty much all the #7 can do is load the surface of the paint with oils and fill in its microfissures/etc. with [the stuff in #7].

Unless you`re doing something weird (and hey, Mike Phillips and I have both done some weird stuff with #7!), I don`t understand what you`re trying to accomplish here :confused: It`s been decades since I used #7 with an aggressive application medium and I just dunno why you`d do that these days.

Since you and Mike have been putting this idea together, I think you oughta ask *him* about what to try next.

craigdt
09-05-2009, 10:44 AM
#7 isnt really a polish like most of us use the term. It wont remove any defects, simply cover them up.

Its known for its occasional stubbornness. You might try an abrasive polish, then a layer of #7 to give a bit of extra shine, then a nice LSP.