PDA

View Full Version : Brand new PPG windshield, with 3 beastly handprints!!!

eurospek
09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
There are 3 handprints near the center right under the rearview mirror. Hard to tell if they are on the outside or inside and I`ve tried everything on the glass with a microfiber and good old elbow grease. Nothing`s working so far.

Tried:

- Stoner`s Invisible Glass

- Sprayaway

- Vinegar + water

- 70% Rubbing alcohol

- Paint Thinner

- Glass Polish

- Meguiar`s Quick Detailer + Claybar

Is there anything that I can try on these prints?

eurospek
09-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Srsly? I`d expected more replies for a detailing forum.

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey, it`s a holiday weekend. Do you have any pictures? Can you feel anything? Has any of the things you`ve tried improved it at all? Have you asked the installer about it? Is it possible, since windshields are laminated, that the handprints are "inside" the windshield?

eurospek
09-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Can`t definitely take a decent picture of it, but like I said, it`s a dirty paw print in 3 different spots. Nothing has improved them and I`ll be going back to the installed on next week finally. And I do have a feeling these are between the glass as when you smudge over them, your fingerprint looks to be on top of those. Which I find hard to believe as the whole manufacturing process of windshields is a little more machine-aided, no?

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, I don`t know how windshields are mfd., and I`d hope they try not to get handprints on the laminations being that there would be no way to get them out, but stuff happens. Thinking about it, since there is some adhesive/RTV involved in the installation, is it possible the installer gunked some on there? I could see how that might be tough to remove.

Jokeman
09-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Tried acetone?

wannafbody
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I`d call the installer and ask for a new windshield.

jpochile
09-07-2009, 09:25 AM
you can try a razor blade at a 30 degree angle . It would not damage the window but whatever is on the glass will get remove .

Cheers , Jean Paul

Flashtime
09-07-2009, 10:28 AM
A razor blade should take care of it. I`ll bet the print is on the adhesive used

to attach the rear view mirror.

skorch1ss
09-07-2009, 10:50 AM
have u tried steel wool? we use it in the body shop for overspray, works great for us.

Setec Astronomy
09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
A razor blade should take care of it. I`ll bet the print is on the adhesive used

to attach the rear view mirror.

Oh yeah...that rearview mirror stuff...yeah...razor blade...

eurospek
09-07-2009, 11:08 AM
I`ll try the razor blade and acetone today. If not, I give up.

Thanks guys!

Candor
09-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Seriously? You asked on NASIOC and almost everyone told you to go back to the installer because the prints are on the inside of the glass.... Just my .02 but mistakes happen I`m sure they will replace the window

eurospek
09-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Seriously? You asked on NASIOC and almost everyone told you to go back to the installer because the prints are on the inside of the glass.... Just my .02 but mistakes happen I`m sure they will replace the window

And your point being? It`s really hard to say where the prints are, but did the acetone and razor blade method, and still there. I will be going back to the installer for sure tomorrow since I have time before class finally and taped the spots tonight in the dark since I know they will have a hard time finding them tomorrow in the morning. Will post what they say.

eurospek
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Stopped by the shop today, and luckily the glass guy was there doing an Acura TL. The manager and glass guy, along with me, couldn`t find the prints in daylight on the parking lot. So I pulled into the shop and they were clear as day on the glass. No one attempted to clean it, both were shocked to see it, and never really saw anything like it before. New glass is being ordered and hopefully installed on Friday.

I should have just went back to the shop in the beginning instead of wasting my time this week with everything I tried, lol.