PDA

View Full Version : Zaino and Paksak/Other MF?

Pages : [1] 2

BrockSamson
09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
So here is a list of stuff I was planning to get for my new car. It is bright blue metallic and is mostly perfect except for some very minor dealer-made swirls and needing a bit of clay work from sitting on the dealer lot. I`m not sure if this is everything that I need and despite a few days of research I`m still totally lost when it comes to MF towels...

Washing and Prep

1-3x Buckets and grit guards

1x Z-7 Wash

1x Z-16 Clay

3x Lowes Proline GS (one for paint/glass, one for wheels and one extra)

1x Leaf Blower (already have one so why not use it)

Seal/Care

1x ZFX

1x Z-5 Pro (for paint and glass... and wheels?)

2x Zaino applicators for Z-5 (or another brand...?)

1x Z-6 QD

1x Z-16 Tire Gloss (also for trim and stuff?)

1x Z-10 Leather in a Bottle (to maintain steering wheel and shifter)

?? something for interior textured plastic???

Microfiber Towels

1x large WW for drying (pakshak 24x36 regular or 25x36 ultra soft?)

1x small WW for glass

?? something for Z-5 and Z-6 (totally lost here)

?? other tasks?

I`ll grab a bulk pack of cheaper MF locally for general purpose non-paint use but of course I need some good stuff for the important jobs. Everyone seems to like Pakshak but all of their stuff looks the same to me. I`m not sure which of the drying towels is better or which of the other towels are appropriate for use with Z-5 and Z-6 or any other tasks I might need a good MF towel for. They also have a smaller WW for glass and some MF applicator pads (maybe they are better than the zaino ones? but why use either applicator over a regular MF anyways?).

If I didn`t go with Pakshak than there are those blue perl buffing 2-packs that seem to be all-in-one MF towels but I can`t find much info or feedback on them. Cobra has the supreme 530 (out of stock) and deluxe 600 which also appear to handle everything and CG has a ton of MF that, like pakshak, I can`t figure out. It doesn`t really matter what brand it is I just want to make sure that I get the appropriate high quality products that won`t scratch or lint or fall apart on me too quickly. Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Asking what is the best MF is a bit like asking what the best wax is. I find the Cobra towels to be overpriced, but sometimes you can get them on BOGO which is usually a good deal. The Sonus towels at Autopia Car-Care are also usually a bit pricey, but there are frequently good sales.

Myself, I like microfibertech, they only sell in bulk now, but what they now call the Medium Terry 300 towel is a great multi-purpose, and what they now call the Plush Terry 360 is a great plush towel. Also the 350 edgeless are very nice. Their WW pricing is not so great, however. I like the Walmart white WW dishtowels as a great, inexpensive WW.

You can`t go wrong with any of the premium towels, though. It just hurts my head to pay $8+ for those Zaino towels, although I have admitted I will likely try a pack next time I order something.

BrockSamson
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
what they now call the Medium Terry 300 towel is a great multi-purpose, and what they now call the Plush Terry 360 is a great plush towel. Also the 350 edgeless are very nice.

That is what confuses me. For example they have ultra-smooth, ultra-plush, ultra-microband plush, ultra-edgeless, ultra-fine, "big boy" and "green monster". I`m sure they are all good but but ones and how many are appropriate for my needs? I`m tempted to get 2 of each but I know that if I do I`ll end up wanting more of one of them and less or none of the others.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Are you talking about PakShak? They do seem to have too many choices. I bought a sampling of their towels and found them to not be any better than anything else out there, IMO.

There`s no "rules" for how to use MF`s, it really comes down to personal preference. Always get more than you think you`ll need, because you always do. Chemical Guys seems to frequently be having sales. I was referring to Wholesale Microfiber Mops and Towels - Huge Selection, High Quality (http://www.microfibertech.com) . People have been buzzing about rag shack recently. Excel Detail used to have some pretty good bulk deals, as well.

BrockSamson
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah sorry those are the Pakshak ones. The amount of different opinions here definitely seems to indicate personal preference but surely there must be some general trends that most people follow. For example for a QD spray like Z-6 do people like really plush towels or really short ones or something else? Can I use the same type to buff off the Z-5 or would most people use a different style for that purpose?

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Most people use plush towels for QD (although some argue that plush absorb too much if your QD is more of a spray wax like Z-8). Plush towels can be used for buffing off LSP, also. Some people feel that tough polish residues or tough LSP residue (think heavy waxes like #16 or Collinite 476S) require a lower nap or the flat weave of the edgeless towels.

I feel a bit guilty using plush towels for more mundane tasks. Those MFT Plush 360 towels (that used to be called the Elite) are really nice, they have one side with long nap and one with shorter nap, and a nice soft edging. They used to be a little cheaper in the bulk (12 for $30). There are plenty of similar towels from other places. But as I said, they are so nice I feel bad using them for mundane tasks, so I use something like the Med. Terry 300`s. I have tons and tons of MF`s from everywhere...if I had it to do over I think I`d just buy 10 or 20 of each of those and be done with it.

ALAN81
09-02-2009, 05:39 PM
CG have some sales on MF. try the fluffy blue with the black edging. I think the 3 pack is 9.99 plus shipping.

JeffM
09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I would get Z 2 pro for your paint color also pick up some Z8, it never disappoints me. Grab some quick interior detailer by Megs from autozone for the hard plastic in the interior.

You might do well to add the Z-AIO so you can prep the paint clean also.

wannafbody
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Z8 is the icing on the cake. Personally I`d rank the Zaino towels, Mothers towels and Viking towels as high quality.

BigAl3
09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
high quality microfiber towels can had just about anywhere these days, take your pick...

jaynick808
09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
you cant beat pakshak microfiber towels! :2thumbs:

there are other "high quality" towels around like bigal3 said, but side by side pakshak towels are better. the higher end ones you find at auto parts stores or walmart or wherever locally dont perform the same or last as long, trust me ive tried them all before..

only ones that compare are brand name towels like ultima,zymol, n cobra but cost around 20%+ more than pakshak and i prefer pakshak`s awesome service.. oh and they happened to be located in hawaii just a few miles away from me :woot:

BrockSamson
09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I called up Pakshak earlier today and am definitely buying my towels from them. I`m sure there are other great towels and companies out there but he was so nice and willing to help that I simply have to give him my business. I`m mostly trying to finalize the exact list and colors to get.

akimel
09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I really like the Ultimate Wipes from Meguiar`s. I have found them to be especially good at removal of waxes and quick detailers. Most folks here don`t give Meguiar`s the time of day when it comes to their microfiber towels, but I like both the Ultimate Wipes and Supreme Shines. And I have bought a lot of towels from several different sources.

I do not like, however, Meguiar`s Water Magnet.

efnfast
09-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Personally, the best MF towels I`ve found are the purple cobra jrs. Yea, not exactly cheap at $8-10ish a towel, but damn if they arn`t the best ones I`ve ever used. They`re so good, I`d have sex with them if I could :woot:

tenorplayer23
09-03-2009, 01:19 AM
...........Or the Gray Cobra 530`s. They are right combination of size, plushness & thickness for QD & buffing, for me. Aside from perhaps `drying" (even though I just got a couple of Target plush "drying" MF towel examples to try/they look & feel quite good, even though they aren`t WW in construction) the remaining MF MF applications around the car can be done with reasonably priced towels, in my opinion.

See ya. :wavey:

Personally, the best MF towels I`ve found are the purple cobra jrs. Yea, not exactly cheap at $8-10ish a towel, but damn if they arn`t the best ones I`ve ever used. They`re so good, I`d have sex with them if I could :woot: