PDA

View Full Version : WOW! #16 and OCW don`t mix

gofastman
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Topping NXT 2.0 with #16 and psudo-spit shining it with OCW.

Well I can say the durrability is excellant! Unfortunatly I cant remove the excess residue, I SCRUBED the surface with my MF towell and the stuff wont budge :think: its so insanly slick I dont think the MF fibers can "cut" the excess residue to remove it.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this stuff off? I tried buffing it off with OID and more OCW- no luck.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2009, 10:15 AM
So you have thick #16 residue? I`ll believe that using OID or OCW is going to decrease the "bite" of your towels and inhibit removal. I`d try giving it a wash and then going back with some fresh towels.

Usually when I use #16 for winter I find some spots where I missed when buffing that stay on until spring...usually on the glass.

gofastman
09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
So you have thick #16 residue? I`ll believe that using OID or OCW is going to decrease the "bite" of your towels and inhibit removal. I`d try giving it a wash and then going back with some fresh towels.

Usually when I use #16 for winter I find some spots where I missed when buffing that stay on until spring...usually on the glass.

well- sort of, Im familiar with #16 and know to apply it super thin.

Accumulator
09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
carn00bie- Yeah, this is the potential issue with the pseudo-spitshining using #16 and "specialty spit". It can happen with my beloved Griot`s SpeedShine too, so don`t feel like you did something stupid.

Gotta watch the "spit"; I bet the OCW leaves too much behind. Even with SpeedShine I have to be *very* careful that I don`t use too much or it does exactly what you experienced. Almost makes you want to stick with distilled water, huh?

I`ve always been able to get the residue off with a "grabby" MF, but you might be in a worse situation. You could try:

-fogging the surface with your breath and then buffing harder

-reapplying #16, trying for a "like removes like" solvent action

-buffing with a cotton towel (but watch for marring!)

-worst case: use an AIO and rewax

I`ve been able to remove missed #16 residue on the A8 even after it baked in under hot conditions down south, but maybe I was just lucky and/or had the right MFs.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I`ve been able to remove missed #16 residue on the A8 even after it baked in under hot conditions down south, but maybe I was just lucky and/or had the right MFs.

Aw heck, you can get the stuff off, I just meant that usually a few days later I notice some on the back window or somewhere that lasts through the winter and winter washes.

DM101
09-02-2009, 11:10 AM
+1 """""-reapplying #16, trying for a "like removes like" solvent action""""""

gofastman
09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
+1 """""-reapplying #16, trying for a "like removes like" solvent action""""""

Tried this, along with a little water mist it took it off, not easily, but it did come off. Thanks guys!

Idk how it works, but mixing those two waxes was like mixing epoxy on the paint!

Alfisti
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Which of the two waxes was the problem?

A two-pack epoxy wax...hmmmm. :think2

Accumulator
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Which of the two waxes was the problem?

I bet it was the synergy. The "spit" lets you "work" the #16 and doing that with a tough-to-buff-off wax can lead to issues. Just using *water* can even do it if you`re too heavy on the #16.

Accumulator
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Tried this, along with a little water mist it took it off, not easily, but it did come off...

Glad you got it sorted out.

Now that you`ve struggled through the application, see if the beading is any different from normal. I do this pseudo-spitshine stuff in part to get the "ball bearing"-style water beads.