PDA

View Full Version : Using M105/M205 for the first time

Pages : [1] 2

Elonheater32
09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
On Friday I am doing my first offical detail on my new CTS-V. After watching many youtube videos, I think I have it down but I wanted to run it by you guys first.

With the M105 and M205 my concern is how long do I need to work it in. Judging from the videos, I probably need to work it in until I see a very very light hologram like film on it. Is this right?

They usually show the videos on a black or dark colored vehicle, which makes it easy to see how the polish is "working in". My concern is my CTS-V is silver and I am afraid that I won`t be able to see the polish at all after I work it in to a certain extent. I am afraid that I will stop way too early not being able to see it or that I will stop far after the compound has been broken down.

I`m a bit nervous.... help me out guys!

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 05:45 AM
My supplies from Autogeek just came in the mail. I am so excited like a kid at christmas!!! Just hope I can do a decent job!

mikenap
09-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Most of those videos show polishes w/ diminishing abrasives, where the abrasive particles get smaller as you use them so they refine the finish during their worktime. Those need to be worked until broken down otherwise they can cause micro-marring of their own.

With M105/M205 you work them until the defect is gone or until they dry out. They use non-diminishing abrasives so the amount they cut should stay consistent throughout their use. Aside from times where 105 dries too quickly, I`ve found them very easy for a beginner such as myself to use. You should get great results your first time out. Have fun. :2thumbs:

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Jezzzz!!! I am glad that somebody told me that they do not "break down" otherwise I would have worked them into the paint until I was working with bare metal!!

Given the fact that I simply work them in until the defects are corrected........If I am working with very mild swirls and some small scratches, about how long should I work them into the paint?

Also, I am assuming I should do a 2x2 area at a time. Would it be okay if I did two sections on the hood or is that too much? Does the hood need to be broken down into 4 parts? Also, for most panels such as the doors and quarter panels... would it be okay if I polished the whole panel at once or do I need to break it into 2 sections? It seems as if I broke the door panel into 2 parts that it would be significantly smaller than a 2x2 area if you guys know what I am talking about.

Daniel3507
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I would do small areas. i just tried my first polish attempt and found that the smaller the area the easier it was to work for me. and dont spread M105 around before you start to work it.

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks Daniel, I was going to put the M105 on the pad and spread it around before turning it on just like the youtube video shows. I am glad that you mentioned that. Is there a reason for this... I am curious

jfelbab
09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
If that CTS is new why would you want to start using #105 right off the bat? I`d start with #205 and see where that leads.

#205 doesn`t dry as fast as #105 and is still fairly good at correction.

RaskyR1
09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
If that CTS is new why would you want to start using #105 right off the bat? I`d start with #205 and see where that leads.

#205 doesn`t dry as fast as #105 and is still fairly good at correction.

+1

Is the CTS-V new, or just new to you but used?

You always want to use the least aggressive method to get the job done and M205 can do some pretty decnt correction.

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Its a 2005 CTS-V....new to me, but 4 years old!!!

RaskyR1
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Its a 2005 CTS-V....new to me, but 4 years old!!!

Had to ask. ;)

I usually do 4-6 over lapping passes and then inspect the panel. I like the fact that you don`t have to wait for them to break down like a lot of other polishes.

Also, if you`re using a DA 2` x 2` is too large. I`d break that hood down into 4-6 sections.

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I am going to be using a PC so I guess the 2x2 will be a bit too big. How long is it going to take me to finsih the car doing little 1 inch by 1 inch pieces!!!!!!

So after my first pass which will be basically simply applying the polish.... I should go over it about 5 or 6 times with moderate pressure (20lbs??). Will this be a good start?

Also, right after I make my 5 or 6 passes can I wipe away right then or do I need to wait a minute or so for it to dry a bit before removing?

RaskyR1
09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I am going to be using a PC so I guess the 2x2 will be a bit too big. How long is it going to take me to finsih the car doing little 1 inch by 1 inch pieces!!!!!!

So after my first pass which will be basically simply applying the polish.... I should go over it about 5 or 6 times with moderate pressure (20lbs??). Will this be a good start?

Also, right after I make my 5 or 6 passes can I wipe away right then or do I need to wait a minute or so for it to dry a bit before removing?

On a car that size it should take close to 3 hours to go around it with 1-step. The size of section I work on is dictated by the polishability of the paint. Do a test spot. ;)

Speed of 5-6 with about 20lbs to start with, and then back it off a little on the last pass or two. Just make sure the pad is always rotating.

I wipe the polish off after each section and also clean my pad on the fly after each section.

dschribs
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
This should help.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/121926-kevin-brown-method-cliff-note-version.html

Elonheater32
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I am supposed to clean my pad after each section!!???? What is the proper way of cleaning my pad?

I have read on how to clean your pads after finishing detailing a car for next use, but I have never read up on how to clean your pad after each section.

RaskyR1
09-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I am supposed to clean my pad after each section!!???? What is the proper way of cleaning my pad?

I have read on how to clean your pads after finishing detailing a car for next use, but I have never read up on how to clean your pad after each section.

Not that kind of cleaning....

Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21413)