PDA

View Full Version : Klasse Sealant Glaze

Pages : [1] 2 3

Aekon
09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
is this stuff good protection for winter? Im not to the product, so Im not sure and a friend was asking. he asked if i could give his car "a good wax for winter", something that beads nicely....?

i told him, from what iv read about klasse, its a great sealant, but will it stand up to canadian winters?

imported_mobenzowner
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
It will have great durability, but for proper bonding use kaio or similar cleaner first. It is not what I would call a joy to work with either. I would recommend Duragloss 601/105.

Accumulator
09-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Aekon- I use KSG on the minivan and it gets through tough winters just great. I seldom even need to redo it come spring.

IME the trick with KSG is to layer it; I like six (yeah, six) layers, which provide *incredible* durability. Four is the minimum I`d use (fewer than that and I`d rather use something else).

If you put six layers on there, you`ll want to redo it because of marring long before the KSG is dead ;)

mongo
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Once you know how to use KSG its one the easiest sealants to use IMO..

work into the paint until its gone

Aekon
09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
for applying many layers, how long should i wait between applications? or can i just keep reloading the pad?

mongo, what is a good method for using it?

MarcBickham
09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I`ll second (or third - whatever) Klasse Silicon Glazes durability through harsh winters with roadsalt and whatnot. It stands up great when the paint is properly prepped first. I`ve never applied KSG without first using KAIO.

You need to let the polymer "cure" before reapplying. I usually go about 24 hours.

Do a search for the different ways to apply. But, whatever you do - keep it thin!!!!

imported_mobenzowner
09-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Once you know how to use KSG its one the easiest sealants to use IMO..

work into the paint until its gone

I`ve used it everyway I`ve seen it listed on this and other forums to be used, and for me it is no where near as easy to use as dg105, wgdgps, pb ex, 4 star, etc. I am certainly not disputing your word, and I agree it`s no where near as finicky as some people say, but for me no where near the easiest. Also I feel I can get the look (subjective of course) and protection from just one coat(2 at max to ensure coverage) out of dg105, where many apply so many multiple coats of ksg.

Aekon
09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
can someone explain proper surface prep then? excuse the noob :)

dervdave
09-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Use Klasse/Carlack AIO first to clean and allow proper bonding.

Aekon
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
so, if it was part of a whole polishing job, you would use the AIO at the end, after cutting and polishing, as a cleaner? then apply the Klasse? i was under the impression that after a good cut/polish, the paint would be ready for a sealant as is, and would not need another step to clean it.

or, did you mean you would use this as a cleaner, before klasse, at a time when you hadnt just done a polish?

jking
09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I believe most people use Klasse AIO to ensure no bonding issues and to make sure of the KSG coming off properly.

Bert
09-01-2009, 02:21 PM

At a minimum, the paint should be properly washed, clayed and cleaned with a paint cleaner or and AIO such as Klasse AIO then your sealant or wax.

Many take this further and would say proper paint prep involves proper washing, claying, several stages of abrasive polishing to remove paint defects and improve the gloss and then an AIO then your sealant or wax.

Aekon
09-01-2009, 02:22 PM
and you use the AIO as a polish? on a pad, and then just work it into a panel peice at a time?

Bert
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
and you use the AIO as a polish? on a pad, and then just work it into a panel peice at a time?

You use a AIO similar to a polish. AIO`s generally don`t have abrasives in them so they won`t do much correction like a traditional polish but they will clean the paint well and leave a decent shine. You can use an AIO on a finishing pad on a dual action orbital polisher just like a regular polish.

Aekon
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
interesting. i dont think i currently have any AIOs in my lineup, which is admittedly new. i just picked up the 105/205 combo, and i dont think those qualify. i also have the opt. polishII, and poli-seal. does poli-seal count? i dont think it does cause its a sealant... right?