PDA

View Full Version : Ran over fresh road paint!

Striker
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I am f****** furious! The lazy a$$ city workers didnt even put up a sign and were simply going down the road with their trucks blasting away new lines and I just happen to swerve but not enough time.

I get out to be greeted to white paint splatter all around my drivers side wheel wells, and various dots all over the bottom of my drivers door where the front wheel kicked it up. I went home immediately and clayed the areas and most of it came off but due to it being 2am here Im gonna wait till tomorrow morning to do the rest so I can really see.

Is this a safe method of removing this or am I gonna totally mess up my paint? Please advise!

scary bill
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I am f****** furious! The lazy a$$ city workers didnt even put up a sign and were simply going down the road with their trucks blasting away new lines and I just happen to swerve but not enough time.

I get out to be greeted to white paint splatter all around my drivers side wheel wells, and various dots all over the bottom of my drivers door where the front wheel kicked it up. I went home immediately and clayed the areas and most of it came off but due to it being 2am here Im gonna wait till tomorrow morning to do the rest so I can really see.

Is this a safe method of removing this or am I gonna totally mess up my paint? Please advise!

You could try APC. I seen a post about how Scottwax used opt power clean on some paint. Otherwise a solvent, just research carefully on which ones you can use w/o messing up your paint.

Innovative Detailing
09-01-2009, 01:25 AM
I heard using WD-40 in the wheel wells to remove the paint splatter works great, just allow a 6-8 hr dwell time then wipe off. I understand that vaseline can also work, either way the preffered method of removing the WD-40 or vaseline is with rubbing alcohol. Hope this helps!

Striker
09-01-2009, 08:21 AM
SO I gotta spray the WD40 and then let it sit for 6 hours then I can do a wipe down? Im gonna go and see if claying will do anything.

Lonnie
09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Striker:

Try this htttp://www.topoftheline.com/sprayinwip.html (http://www.topoftheline.com/sprayinwip.html)

You may be able to buy some OTC at an industrial supply company, like Grainger, if you have one near by.

No, I haven`t tried it, but I know there was a post from someone who clean-up a painter`s truck using this wipe.

Let us know what you did and how it turned out. (Pics would be nice)

Striker
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Some ricardo clay and UQD I had laying around took care of the paint :D thanks guys.

Innovative Detailing
09-01-2009, 10:09 AM
SO I gotta spray the WD40 and then let it sit for 6 hours then I can do a wipe down? Im gonna go and see if claying will do anything.

Glad you were able to remove it using clay! The info that I passed on I found on the Detailpro website, posted by another professional.

my2004ford
09-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Body shops use oven cleaner to remove road paint, even if it`s not being repainted.