PDA

View Full Version : Detailing regimen for novice

helicopter34234
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I have tried to do as much research as I could with just the search button, but I think it is time to actually ask the experts for tailored advice. I am looking to develop a detailing/maintenance regimen for my new 2009 Civic and my fiancée’s 2005 Acura TSX. As of yet, I have not become obsessed with detailing, therefore I am hoping for a more simplistic regimen that can be applied about every 3-6 months, looks good, and protect the car in between. So far, I have learned a lot from Autopia, especially how much damage you can do with the average methods people employ.

For my washing routine, I plan on using the 2-bucket method. I am returning the Microtex synthetic wash mitt as it scratched up a CD quite a bit. I will instead buy/use Proline grout sponges for washing. I bought Rain-X Foaming Car Wash (Green), is this sufficient? I plan to wash on a steeply inclined driveway and initiate the rinse by dousing the car with the hose (with the nozzle removed). Also, I will use a very large compressor to blow dry the car (will have to check if it spews any oil). I CD tested the Microtex blue drying towel which I had bought and with very light pressure, it doesn’t seem to scratch much at all. Hopefully my clear coat is sufficiently harder than the CD surface. I am thinking of splurging and buying a Cobra Guzzler to use for any additional drying and relegate the Microtex for windows. I have read the volumes of posts on MF towels and there are many that people recommend, however has anyone found a MF that they can definitely claim is as gentle as the Guzzler. My biggest fear is putting swirls on my paint. For waxing I was going to buy an applicator sponge, probably a cheap one, and use it to apply the Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow which I have. I was also planning on buying a Cobra Indigo MF for remove the excess wax. So, there is my proposed wash/wax regimen. If anyone can offer better/cheaper substitutes for the products I mentioned, it would be appreciated.

So what else am I missing? I am going to place an online order and want to get everything I need in one shot. I am sort of scared of using a clay as I read that it can cause damage if used incorrectly. Do I need to use clay? Is it safe for a novice? If so which clay and lube should I buy? I have read that it is the glaze/polish/prewax paint cleaners that really give your car a shine, the wax is just to protect that shine. What should I be getting for this prewax clean/gloss stage? I don’t want anything that aggressive, any advice on products? Should I be leaning towards a sealant or wax (or both) since I will be detailing so infrequently? Do I need quick detailer for anything? How do spray waxes play into the process, are they just used in between full detailings.

Additional questions:

-Which online merchant would be best (cheapest) to buy all this stuff.

-Has anyone compared the Guzzler to the cheaper Shamrock for drying?

-How many drying towels and wax removing towels do I absolutely need to do two cars in one day. Can I get away with 1 of each?

I also had bought Armorall Protectant to clean and protect my interior plastic surfaces. What is the consensus of Armorall, I have since heard bad things. Should I return it and get a different interior detailing spray to protect the vinyl?

Thanks in advance. I apologize for asking questions which may not have a definitive answer and require pages to explain. I am just trying to develop a routine that is right for me, so whatever you guys think would be best.

Accumulator
08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I have tried to do as much research as I could with just the search button, but I think it is time to actually ask the experts for tailored advice. I am looking to develop a detailing/maintenance regimen for my new 2009 Civic and my fiancée’s 2005 Acura TSX. So far, I have learned a lot from Autopia, especially how much damage you can do with the average methods people employ...

Welcome to Autopia! Good move, doing the research :xyxthumbs

For my washing routine, I plan on using the 2-bucket method... I will instead buy/use Proline grout sponges for washing. I bought Rain-X Foaming Car Wash (Green), is this sufficient?

I don`t use GS myself, but others like them. IMO the better the wash the less chance of marring. The minimum I`d recommend is Meguiar`s Gold Class, but hey, it`s easy for me to spend your money ;)

I plan to wash on a steeply inclined driveway and initiate the rinse by dousing the car with the hose (with the nozzle removed). Also, I will use a very large compressor to blow dry the car ..am thinking of splurging and buying a Cobra Guzzler to use for any additional drying and relegate the Microtex for windows. I have read the volumes of posts on MF towels and there are many that people recommend, however has anyone found a MF that they can definitely claim is as gentle as the Guzzler. My biggest fear is putting swirls on my paint.

I haven`t used the Guzzler, but there are some sufficiently soft WWMFs available from PakShak and others. Even with the flooding rinse, plan on using more drying towels than you`d expect.

For waxing I was going to buy an applicator sponge, probably a cheap one, and use it to apply the Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow which I have. I was also planning on buying a Cobra Indigo MF for remove the excess wax. So, there is my proposed wash/wax regimen. If anyone can offer better/cheaper substitutes for the products I mentioned, it would be appreciated.

Don`t let the cost be the primary consideration lest you get something too cheap and find it mars your paint. The Cobra should be OK and Meguiar`s and others make cheap-enough applicators that are commonly available.

I am sort of scared of using a clay as I read that it can cause damage if used incorrectly. Do I need to use clay? Is it safe for a novice? If so which clay and lube should I buy?

Usd properly, a good clay system should be OK for a novice. The ones from Mother`s and Claymagic (their blue clay) should be OK, ditto the clay from Griot`s. The Sonus green Ultra-fine clay might be *too* gentle for your needs at present.

So what else am I missing? I am going to place an online order and want to get everything I need in one shot.I have read that it is the glaze/polish/prewax paint cleaners that really give your car a shine, the wax is just to protect that shine. What should I be getting for this prewax clean/gloss stage? I don’t want anything that aggressive, any advice on products?

Yes, do *something* to clean/polish the paint before you wax. A mild polish, a paint cleaner, an all-in-one..do *something. If you want to be *very* cautious, you could try the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Step #1 Cleaner or even a cleaner wax. I`m not sure just what to recommend, in part because I`m unfamiliar with the paint on your cars.

Do I need quick detailer for anything?

QDs are very handy for all sorts of things. What to get is probably as much a matter of where you`re ordering from as anything else, many are OK but there are subtle diffs between them.

Additional questions:

-Which online merchant would be best (cheapest) to buy all this stuff.

Beats me. See what others recommend and buy from somebody who has what you need.

-Has anyone compared the Guzzler to the cheaper Shamrock for drying?

I haven`t tried the Guzzler but the Shamrock works OK for a plush-type MF. Leaves lint though (even after some washings) and you have to be careful about its serged edges as they can scratch. Sure is nice and plush though.

-How many drying towels and wax removing towels do I absolutely need to do two cars in one day. Can I get away with 1 of each?

No, get more than that. Even if you never drop one (yeah....right :chuckle: ) you`ll need more than you expect.

I also had bought Armorall Protectant to clean and protect my interior plastic surfaces. What is the consensus of Armorall, I have since heard bad things. Should I return it and get a different interior detailing spray to protect the vinyl?

I hardly ever dress my interiors, but I don`t think there`s anything *wrong* with the Armor All if you like the look it leaves behind. No need for fancy boutique products, if that`s what you`re asking. And the "Armor All will cause damage" talk is BS.

akimel
08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
You may find this article of helpful: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29505). Substitute your preferred products.

My understanding is that the Armor All vinyl cleaner/protectant that is now sold is a different formulation from the one that was sold years ago and which has received so much criticism. As Accumulator notes, it`s really just a matter of finding a product that you like. Armor All isn`t going to damage your interior vinyl. I prefer myself more of a low gloss look. You might consider, therefore, Armor All`s Natural Finish Protectant or Meguiar`s Natural Shine. But if, like many, you prefer more gloss, then the Armor All "original" protectant or Meguiar`s Supreme Shine may be right up your alley. Only one way to find out ...

Kean
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
....btw, if you want a truly matte, OEM finish to your dash and interior bits, Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a nice choice that I have used and would recommend. I found it similar to the 1Z Cockpit Premium many seem to like (myself included). ....the Meg QID goes for about $7 (readily available) while the 1Z is around $11 (on-line).

akimel
08-31-2009, 02:41 PM
....btw, if you want a truly matte, OEM finish to your dash and interior bits, Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a nice choice that I have used and would recommend. I found it similar to the 1Z Cockpit Premium many seem to like (myself included). ....the Meg QID goes for about $7 (readily available) while the 1Z is around $11 (on-line).

+1. I like and use both products regularly, as I too prefer a very matte finish. I think I prefer the 1Z but that may only be because it costs more, so I assume it must be a better product. But heck if I really know. Both seem to get the job done well.

If I need something with more cleansing action, then I use either M40 or M39. M40 leaves a low gloss, satin shine. But for regular interior cleaning, I turn to 1Z or QID.

JeffM
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM
First off , welcome to Autopia.

Ok, so your going to be banging out 2 cars in one day/weekend a couple 3 times a year maybe. The first thing i would suggest is to get an applicator pad that you wont hate. There is a pad i like that is red on one side and white on the other. Alot more comfortable than the little round ones. One side is used for paint cleaners, light polishing, the other for LSP`s (wax/ sealants)

I like the clay magic clay on cars with over like 40k miles, that have never been clayed. It is really stiff and picks up stuff quicker. On new/ maintained vehicles i like the Mothers or Meguiars clay, its softer.

The Megs Qiuck interior detailer gets my vote also. Armor All is fine on tires or even the dash if you like a little more gloss. You can dilute the AA with dystilled water if you want a more matt look.

For car washes i liked the NXT wash, gold class is a very good wash also, but the smell is horrible. I am using Optimum no rinse wash and shine and love it for its ease of use and looks after.

You should have handy a paint cleaner too. The ColorX found at autozones ect. is a good cleaner but it leaves a wax behind. You wouldnt want to put a sealant ontop of it. If you use a sealant, most brands have their own cleaner. Keep it simple.

You could do better with the wax in my opinion. There is a multitude to pick from. Just look around at the threads and you can get a feel for what people are using currently. If you are only going to be waxing your car every 3 months, i would suggest a sealant.

People are satisfied with the towels found at target, but they are not the best there is. Depends on your budget, and how much you enjoy the feeling of the softest towels made gliding across your freshly clayed and waxed paint. Ya some of us are easily amused.

In the end detailing is a skill like anything else, the more you learn and practice the better you get. Start simple and go from there.

canoedad
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
No, get more than that. Even if you never drop one (yeah....right :chuckle: ) you`ll need more than you expect.

Can a dropped towel be saved by washing or is it recommended that the towel get tossed?

JeffM
08-31-2009, 04:28 PM
I wash mine in the sink by hand, then throw them in the washer. I inspect all my towels when i fold them, and rewash repeat. If something doesnt come out that is abrasive, i throw it out, but it rarely happens.

helicopter34234
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Well a spent a good part of my night reading everything I could to develop an appropriate detailing regimen. Here is what I bought and how I plan to use it:

Towels and applicators

-The Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 16 x 24

-2X Cobra Indigo Microfiber Polishing Cloth

-CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack

-Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel

-Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicator

-Blue Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 24 x 29 inches (See how it compares to the Cobra Guzzler)

-Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent Concentrate 32 oz. to clean the MF and foam pads

-Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer

-Wash with Meguiars Gold Class (and dry)

-Use Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System (comes with a QD) probably once a year

-Clean paint with Duragloss Polish & Cleaner (PC) #101, supposed to be like Klasse AIO but better

-Prep with Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #601

-Then Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105 as a paint sealant

-Finally Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951 which is supposed to really make the #105 shine

I am planning on using the DG #101,601, and 105 on my wheels as well as I believe the Civic has clear coated alloys. I may consider using them on my trim (the little that I have) as well.

I may also buy some Armor All Extreme Gel for the tires.

At this time, I opted out of a more aggressive polish as my car is new and my fiancee`s car`s paint is in pretty good condition. I have some Scratch-X which I could use on smaller spots if necassary. What I have planned thus far should be sufficient to keep me busy learning the process and should sufficiently protect our cars.

I also opted out of a dedicated wheel cleaner and brush. I plan to just use a sponge (dedicated to the wheels) and soapy water like I do on the rest of the body. My wheels aren`t that dirty at all and hopefully if I maintain them with sealant/wax they will be easy to clean. I don`t have much trim so I didn`t get any type of plastic dressing. Hopefully the DG sealants won`t stain any of the plastic and I can use them to protect the trim.

Any comments or advice? I spent quite a bit of money on all of this. Hopefully it is worth it.

Kean
09-01-2009, 09:12 AM
....I don`t know about anyone else but to me, it sounds like a good start. You can move from there if you want to change up products later down the line (or stick with what you have if you`re happy with their performance). Good technique and regular maintenance will go a long way to helping minimize scratches as well as extending the amount of time between full details.

btw, just out of curiosity, what type of wash media did you decide to go with? I didn`t see it listed.

Accumulator
09-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Can a dropped towel be saved by washing or is it recommended that the towel get tossed?

Washing will clean it out, but inspect it for tenacious contamination just to make sure. Anything that`s still stuck to it can (almost always) be picked off by hand.

helicopter34234
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
btw, just out of curiosity, what type of wash media did you decide to go with? I didn`t see it listed.

Proline grout sponges from Lowes.

I forgot one thing, what about glass? What should I apply to the glass to keep the water beading off it nicely. Can I apply anything I already have?

tenorplayer23
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Try Invisible Glass by Stoner`s to clean your glass. I have the spray pump, but I think the aerosol can is much more convenient. (They also make a water rrepellant version for exterior glass.) Many folks just use their sealants right over glass as they do with their body panels.

BTW, you mentioned Lowes. The local store, of all places, had some pretty good prices on the few car care products they carry. For instance, Stoner`s Invisible Glass was better priced than Walmart or Target and they had a Meguiar`s combo package (NXT/QD) for a very, very reasonable price. Take another look there for other stuff. Unfortunately, they didn`t stock any decent MF towels, applicators or mitts. Just FYI.

See ya. :wavey:

I forgot one thing, what about glass? What should I apply to the glass to keep the water beading off it nicely. Can I apply anything I already have?

Kean
09-01-2009, 07:42 PM

I forgot one thing, what about glass? What should I apply to the glass to keep the water beading off it nicely. Can I apply anything I already have? ....I know some will apply sealants to their glass as mentioned or products like Rain-X. Personally, I just keep them clean on a regular basis with MF`s and 50/50 IPA/water or just water (I use de-ionized now). I really don`t collect enough crud on my windows which requires much else. ....although I will occassionally use clay to go over the glass during a wash and/or Sprayway. .....it has a nostalgic smell for me. Either way, I find I still need to do a final buff with a clean, dry MF to achieve clear, streak-free glass no matter what I use. ....I just find I have to do less buffing with the way I currently do it.