PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here just bought a Cadillac CTS-V!

Pages : [1] 2

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Last week I picked up my baby, a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V in platinum silver!!! I have been wanting one for so long and I am excited to finally have her. After giving her a good wash (newbie wash), I knew that I had to give it a real wash, polish, and wax.

I used to frequent this forum, but never had a car worthy to do a great detail on. Now that I do, I need your help guys!

My friend gave me his porter cable so what I need are some pads, polish, and wax or sealant. Since I am a total newbie to a "real detail", I was hoping I could ask you guys what I need to buy since I am going to buy something today at autogeek.

I watched the video on how to use the porter cable and they were using Pinnacle XMT products and it looks rather easy to use and people on this forum have had great results using this product. Should I go with this?

Should I get the intermediate swirl remover kit or the light swirl remover kit. I think to get the BEST out of it I need the intermediate swirl remover kit, but I have heard that it takes the clear coat off and prevents the finish from looking so deep. The paint is in pretty good shape, so maybe I just need the light swirl remover kit, but at the same time this car is 4 years old.

Also, as far as pads go...... will I be okay with the Dual Action Deluxe CCS Foam Pad Kit which only gives me one pad of each color or do I need more than one pad or will one pad be just fine for the car?

I am nervous about taking the porter cable onto my new baby, but I think I`lll do a good job.

Thanks guys!!!

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I am very anxious to order the stuff today, so I can do a detail asap, but I want to get some feedback from you guys before I pull the trigger on the purchase!!!!!

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Clay first.

Have at least five of each color. Orange, white, black/gray.

Look up the KB (Kevin Brown method). It should save you time.

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I am going to do the 2 bucket wash method and then clay the car before I do any polishing to the car.

The only thing is that I have read is that a sealant is better than wax if it is a daily driver. The Pinnacle XMT kit I am thinking about buying has the wax in it.... not a sealant. Will this be okay or do I definately need to opt for a kit that has a sealant in it?

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/116222-new-m105-kicking-but-w-kb-method.html

In answer to the sealant question. UPGP for the win. Get it. Use it. Love it.

Remember a little goes a long way!

Less
08-28-2009, 11:38 AM
The XMT line is just `ok`. I`ve used XMT 1 and 3, and I wasn`t impressed with either. They`re cheap, and they sort of get the job done, but if you`re serious about paint correction you should probably look into either M105/205, or some of the Menzerna products. For a newer silver car, i would probably go with a one-step using M205 and a white pad and see where that gets me.

The `sealant is better than wax` argument will never really be settled. personal preference plays a huge role in that debate.

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I ended up disposing of my XMT products. M105, Menz and 3m Perfect-IT Ultrafina for me.

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Hum...... I was hoping I could keep it simple, but it just got a bit complicated since a lot of people dont like the Pinnacle products.

Since Menzerna does not make waxes or sealants what wax do you guys recommend me to work with. I need something that would be easy and not overly difficult to work with.

The reason I liked the Pinnacle product is because it came with a kit and I knew that everything would work hand in hand.

If I used Menzerna 205 would I need to follow that up with anything before the wax?

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I have found that no single brand carries the best of all categories and or for all jobs.

I suggest you take your time. Really. Patience and careful reading and research through Autopia`s Forums will save you a great deal of money, mistakes, and time.

Page through the forum and look for what works for you.

You should be able to locate a few brands, products, tools, materials, techniques, and constantly repeated wisdom and advice.

For example...(in no particular order or significance)

Some items repeat over and over. Here are just a few; microfiber towels, ONR, Menzerna, Lake Country, 3M, Meguiars, Pinnacle, Ultima, Finish Kare, Adam`s, Zaino, Flex, Makita, DeWalt, and so on.

I use a wide variety of products and techniques. Some are expensive some are dirt cheap. I simply use and adapt into or out of what suits my needs at the time.

I know this is a really general answer. I will add more specific personal opinion help in the next post.

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I polish with LC pads.

I keep at least

- 8 orange

- 8 white

- 6 gray, blue and red

I use Menz polishes SIP all the way down.

I also use Meguiars M105 and 3M Ultrafina SE.

I use a Flex. I just purchased a Makita.

Isopropyl alcohol is nice.

DWG glaze works well when required.

I use Pinnacle clay and diluted ONR as my lube.

I use a foam cannon. I have yet to settle on a particular shampoo. I get the tough spots with P21S.

I use Adam`s undercarriage spray. Use their fender well brush too.

P21S product to clean my tires. Blackfire or Ultima to seal them.

I use Ultima on all plastics and trim. With the occasional 303 exception.

For cleaning difficult to reach spots I use a combination of paint brushes, MF towels, and diluted ONR. Clay too for some spots.

Stoners is my glass cleaner. Not the aerosol, the pump.

I use a Glassmaster to clean the inside of windshields. It rocks.

I use Woolite hE to clean cloth and leather diluted 10 to 1.

I treat leather with the Lexus brand cream.

For a QD spray I use FK. Adam`s makes a nice one too.

303 for cloth and carpet.

I seal with Ultima PGP. One of my all time favorite products. Highly rec`d.

If I use a wax it is FK High Temp synthetic. Tough stuff.

Get tons of MF towels. Long, medium, and short nap. Most of high quality (Cobra is nice), but a few (a dozen or so) cheap ones from Walmart or the like for inconsequential areas. Be sure to get a few waffle weave towels too.

Detailing sponges are great. Get plenty. Get a box cutter to shape them to their individual uses.

Pinnacle makes a great stain and bug removal sponge.

Get a couple grout sponges. Very useful items. I like to shape those too (one end is molded to reach into tight spots).

Treat your windshield with Aquapel. It is nothing like Rain-X. I hate RX. Before you apply it get it perfectly clean. Read my Aquapel posts.

If you use a personal vacuum to clean, change the filter and empty it often. Otherwise they smell foul. Yuck.

This is a rough very quickly composed helper filled with personal opinion and biased by my experience thus far. But I hope it helps.

MSOsr
08-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Congratulations! You have bought a GREAT car!

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/120892-4th-july-detail-my-v.html

4th of July detail of my V. Welcome to the forum!

Mike

imported_NRZ
08-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Collinite 845 on silver rocks too, you can top it with wax and have a wow looking silver car!

Keep it simple. The Poorboys line of polish, sealant and wax is a good idea too. Easy to use and not expensive.

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 07:48 PM
MSOsr....nice V you got there! I have only had mine for a few days and I am loving it. I am taking it to the shop and having headers and a catback put on it next week!

Knucklebucket.... thanks a ton for your post. This is what I am thinking about ordering right now. Now keep in mind my goal is to get this CTS-V looking great, but not go overboard with my first autogeek purchase.

I was looking at the Menzerna products and really dont know which one I need (they have so many its confusing). So I think I might get the Meguiars polish. Should I get the M105 and follow with the M205 or should I just get the M205 and work it in a little longer/harder? I do not want to use the M105 and still have some swirl marks from the polish!

After the polish process I was going to apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus. I have read great things about it so I hope it is a good choice especially for a silver car. I have always used wax and have never before used a sealant. The whole idea of not having to buff in and buff out a wax/sealant is foreign to me, but I guess it must work!

What do you guys think? I am going to spend a LONG time in order to properly detail my car so I want to make sure that I am rewarded for my efforts!

Elonheater32
08-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Sorry to double post.... but I am looking at the pads. Should I opt for the 5.5" or 6.5" pads. Which one do you guys use the most?

KnuckleBuckett
08-29-2009, 05:30 AM
GM uses pretty darn hard paint. the smaller the pad the better. Again use te KB method.

Megs 105, Menz SIP, 3M Ultrafina SE. Those should do what you need for the Caddy. I have successfully used this combo before.

Be sure to get a bottle of the Finish Kare 425.

When you clay and clean I suggest a gallon of ONR. It will last a long time and you will find it infinitely useful. Same with the P21S.

This is the time to pick up Ultima PGP, IGP, TTGP. I love all of these for their look, durability, and trust me very little product goes a long way.

Look up my thread on applying the UPGP. Once the finish is properly prepped, and cleaned, layer the UPGP. No less than three layers. I usually double it. This takes very little actual work, but lots of time. Start very early on a three day weekend and give at least 8 hours between coats (12 is better). Layer after layer and you will have one heck of a great looking protective coat.

I tell this to everyone that is new to UPGP. You are going to use too much at first. You will waste lots of product at first. It will take you a while to realize that we are serious when we mean it takes VERY little UPGP per panel. Three puffs for the first panel (say half the hood), two for the next half, and 3/4 puff for each panel afterwords. They provide an MF applicator, get spares. You WILL drop it.

One more great thing about UPGP is that if you get some on the trim or rubber you don`t have to worry about scraping off the white crap because there is none!!