PDA

View Full Version : KSG vs. UPGP

Pages : [1] 2

MarcBickham
08-28-2009, 05:10 AM
I`ve tried searching for this comparison, but I must not be good at seraching. Anyways, have using the Klasse twins for years. My only complaint is the KSG being hard to remove sometimes. Was wondering if UPGP or another WOWA performs better (from a longevity standpoint) than KSG and is much easier to use. I say "much" because KSG isn`t really that bad and it`s proven itself over and over through MI winter road salt. (I might`ve just answered my own question, but still looking for suggestions:~)

Kean
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
....this might not help so consider it a free bump for your thread if not. :)

Coming from traditional WOWO products I decided to try a WOWA a few months back (I started with OS). I`ve began playing with the application process (just to see how I would like it) but it wasn`t until recently that I applied it over a clean surface after a full detail. ....although an unforeseen event came up and I had to rush the polishing step (which will need to be re-done).

To get to my point... I have come to the conclusion that the simplicity of the process is enough to put up with more frequent applications if the need arises. Products like Zaino used to be my "go to" LSP for most situations but I believe I`ve turned the corner and will now be relying on products like OS or UPGP more heavily. In your case, maybe you can still use KSG, Collinite or another winter-proven LSP while using UPGP for the rest of the months? I`m lucky since I live in an area where we don`t experience harsh winters. Also, I am able to reapply an LSP nearly year round if necessary. My personal experience is limited as well with WOWA durability and I can see how you might be reluctant to change from a product you already know works. Having read through various reviews, I guess I`m not convinced that the current WOWA`s are better performers in harsh conditions than some of the other products we already know about. ....perhaps someone who has tried both in that type of situation will chime in.

ZeroDfx
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I cannot comment specifically on UPGP, but I have made the transition from KSG to other sealants for the reason you describe: KSG unless applied so thin that you can`t tell you applied it, was very difficult to remove. I have since used Blackfire Wet Diamond and like it a lot. I also used Menzerna FMJ and liked it also for its ease of WOWO. Either one of these will be easier to use and give a great shine IMHO.

superchargedg
08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I have not used a product yet like UPGP and can seriously say it will last the entire winter.This stuff rocks but you need to layer it at least 2 times for it to last the whole winter......but it only takes like 15 minutes....tops.

imported_Blake
08-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Wow! I can`t tell anything about products I`ve never used.

AeroCleanse
08-28-2009, 06:08 PM
I applied 3 layers of UPGP, been about a month and a half, holding up great.

GS4_Fiend
08-28-2009, 11:08 PM
KSG is completely easy to use. The technic is to apply as thin as possible. Then use some QD and spray for easy removal. That`s it. KSG is very known so no worries. But of course you should have at least 3 layers for best results. GL

AuAltima3.5
08-29-2009, 07:33 AM
UPGP definately has the looks category. After it cures, it dries to a clear, highly reflective layer that is very smooth and has modest durability.

KSG is the long haul winner. I would say it lasts longer as compared to UPGP in terms of tight beading. My car is outside 24/7, and after using each it is really just easier to put two coats of UPGP and call it a day, instead of fighting with KSG.

To be honest, I judge LSP by beading. When beading is done, it`s time to reapply. I don`t know how you guys can get protection all winter. I always prep with KAIO before starting a new set of layering. I can usually go three months before I have to reapply, and that is REALLY pushing it with UPGP IMO

dervdave
08-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey just put a couple of layers of UPGP straight over the KSG, no problems, best of both !

MarcBickham
08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
GS4_Fiend: Agreed - KSG isn`t "that" bad - just the occassional stubborn spot from me hurrying. QD usually take care of it. And I guess that whopping 5 extras minutes to remove isn`t that much of a deal.

AuAltima3.5 - that`s for the durability comments based on experience. My garage isn`t heated and I live in northern lower MI. Once it turns cold, there`s really no opportunity to reapply a sealant. Even if there was, definitely don`t feel like goofing with cars when it`s freezing outside. Easier to do it good in the late fall and see what you got in the spring. Plus, if you really think about it - that salt is wreaking havoc on the underside of the vehicle when compare to the paint.

mongo
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Just work the KSG in until gone there will be no need to buff really any remaining off.

MarcBickham
08-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Mongo - not to stray too far off topic here, but would you mind me asking how you do that? Do you apply it by hand, which is what I`ve done in the past, or with a machine? If by machine, which pad?

AuAltima3.5
08-29-2009, 06:50 PM
GS4_Fiend: Agreed - KSG isn`t "that" bad - just the occassional stubborn spot from me hurrying. QD usually take care of it. And I guess that whopping 5 extras minutes to remove isn`t that much of a deal.

AuAltima3.5 - that`s for the durability comments based on experience. My garage isn`t heated and I live in northern lower MI. Once it turns cold, there`s really no opportunity to reapply a sealant. Even if there was, definitely don`t feel like goofing with cars when it`s freezing outside. Easier to do it good in the late fall and see what you got in the spring. Plus, if you really think about it - that salt is wreaking havoc on the underside of the vehicle when compare to the paint.

Tell me about it. My vehicle came from MI, bought it two years old.

I currently have a very rusty bottom side, it very concerning in some places and feels very "wafery" like it has very progressive rust damage.

At least it is really shiny :)

MarcBickham
08-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Tell me about it. My vehicle came from MI, bought it two years old.

I currently have a very rusty bottom side, it very concerning in some places and feels very "wafery" like it has very progressive rust damage.

At least it is really shiny :)

Why in the world would you buy a car from MI? Up here, we try to buy the used ones from where you are on south.

AuAltima3.5
08-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Why in the world would you buy a car from MI? Up here, we try to buy the used ones from where you are on south.

At the time, the rust wasn`t bad, and it was a smoking hot deal.

I have learned my lesson. It just sucks to learn it. Its compounded by Nissan`s poor corrosion prevention. It is a known problem, especially the 3rd gen altima.