PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

GMUross
11-24-2005, 01:36 PM
New to the forum my name is Ross and I`m a college student looking to start my own detailing business. Any advice for a new comer is more than welcome let me know anything that can help me out.

cwcad
11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Search the website for insight, read and learn!

Welcome to DC!!

jaybs02
11-24-2005, 01:53 PM
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/html/emoticons/WELCOME.gif Ross,
If you search through the Professional section you will find plenty of good information, also if people know where you are from it helps with things that are more specific to your region.

Glad you found us

Happy Thanksgiving
"J"

GMUross
11-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks so far everyone is very nice here. I am located in the D.C. NoVa area and I am a student as George Mason University. I am doing this with a fraternity brother of mine who worked for a detailer in the past. We will be splitting the cost of the start up. I would like to keep the cost of the start up below 800 between the two of us is this possible? What is the best way to get started I have seen several products companies selling packages and the rights to use their products is this a good way to go? If I am asking too many questions please tell me I have been surfing the forum as I have just joined today and already I have learned a lot but not that much about how to get started.

Happy T-day to everyone out there
Ross

Brenton
11-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Ross, welcome. I`m Brenton from PEI.
Advice-wise, I`d say:
1. Find someone`s garage you could rent space from if you are starting in the Winter.
2. Do free cars.
3. Don`t rely on it as income for awhile.
4. Get the best product you can afford.
5. Make sure your town has room for you.

Hawaiianelement
11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
My advice is don`t buy too much of any product at 1st. You don`t want to find out there`s something better out there and you`re stuck with a bunch of product you already paid for.

I like Poorboys line . All of it . Compounds polishes waxes and sealants. Easy on and easy off .

Glad to here you`re joining the detailing community .Welcome and Aloha from Hawaii.

Jon

GMUross
11-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Wow, thanks guys all of this is really helping a lot. Add on to this if you can think of anything I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks again,
Ross

jaybs02
11-24-2005, 05:45 PM
You said that your frat brother who you are going in with worked for a detailer before.
Does he have a rotary and pads?
Also I would recomend at least a 5HP wet/dry vac.

"J"

GMUross
11-25-2005, 09:12 PM
I have a shop vac that I will be using and it is a 5 HP wet/dry like you said. My friend does not have a rotary like you asked he used all of his bosses materials and worked for a very small cut for what he was working for which is what lead us to this business decision. I worked at an Auto Bell for a while "cleaning" so I have some experience but not that much with "detailing" cars.. What type of rotary and pads should I start out with?

jaybs02
11-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Unless either you or your friend is proficient with a rotary, I would suggest that you start out with a PC, on your customers cars. You may not be able to get cars done as quickly, but it would be safer.

You can check with our sponsors to put together a package,
WWW.premiumautocare.com
www.autogeek.net
Both offer a 10% discount and have excellent customer service

Good luck
"J"

GMUross
11-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks a bunch for all your help I have a several months to prepare and put together a web page. Any other extremely effective methods of advertising for ya`ll out there. I plan on making business cards but this seems like a reputaion based business how do you get your name out there.