PDA

View Full Version : LSP Resistance vs LSP Durability

bigjizzles
08-27-2009, 12:40 AM
There is alot of talk on here about how durable a LSP is, usually measured in time (6 months, 4 months) but IMO we should also be looking at LSP RESISTANCE.

This is what I mean by LSP Resistance.

If we park two cars (each car with a different LSP) out into the same place

(like a hot, humid, salty, sun-shines-hard-after-it-rains kind of place)

Which LSP product would come back from that place alive? Which LSP would not endure that harshness of the environment.

The question is, which LSP is more resistant to damage from the elements.

I have been doing these tests for the past year or two with Collinites, KSG, Blackfire Polycharged, Jetseal, Z2 pro and Z5 Pro.

But where do we put the cars?

Hmm someplace like Hawaii...has a hot, humid, salty, sun-shines-hard-after-it-rains type of weather.

To give you an idea of what the LSP`s go through

I travel to the beach about once a week to go swimming, surfing or fishing. In Hawaii, the beaches are beautiful, the sand is soft, and the air is breezy.

But that breeze likes to carry salt and sand, and after a nice day at the beach, you come back to a car layered with salt and sand, especially near the bottom of the car. This kind of stuff happens to your car even just driving in the city!

All LSP`s were washed every month. After 3 months, each LSP was clayed and polished to have a clean surface for the next LSP. My Subaru was the test car in this experiment!

So first test, Klasse!

I would reapply Klasse 3-4 times a year in Hawaii.

Klasse was used for 3 months.

Car washes had sheeting and beading.

When it was time to claybar, very little to no contaminants were on the clay.

Polished then applied ...

Collinite

Again used for 3 months

Car washes had sheeting and beading.

I would reapply Collinite 3-4 times a year in Hawaii.

Polished then applied...

Jetseal

Used for 3 months

There were more contaminants on the clay bar than with Klasse, Collinite, Blackfire.

Car sheeted and beaded during car washed.

Slickness was gone extremely fast (1 Week)

I would reapply every 6-7 times a year in Hawaii.

Polished then applied...

Zaino Z2/Z5 (I`ll put both their reviews here since they kind of had the same outcome)

Used for 3 months

Extremely dissapointed.

Had the most contaminants on claybar. (but still pretty clean, should have took a picture)

Slickness was gone extremely fast (1 Week)

Water did not bead or sheet on second wash!

polished and applied...

Blacfire Wet Diamond Polycharged

Used for 3 months

Stayed slickest the longest.

Beaded and sheeted during car wash.

I would apply 3-4 times a year in Hawaii.

Most beautiful sealant I have ever used, Hawaiian Ladies will love you!!!

So here is my test, feel free to comment!!!

I am only 19 and a college student, I don`t have time to clean every week, so durability and resistance is important to me.

Since I didnt take pics of the experiment. Here`s some pics just for fun. Blackfire on the Subie!!! Collinite on the Prelude!!!

Of course prepand correction is always key.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/oohhsnapp/Subaru%20Detail/Picture112.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/oohhsnapp/Subaru%20Detail/Picture176.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/oohhsnapp/Prelude/Detail_016.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/oohhsnapp/Prelude/Detail_003.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/oohhsnapp/Prelude/Detail_002.jpg

bigjizzles
08-27-2009, 12:54 AM
I also have tried NXT 2.0 and Mothers Gold class, those two get DESTROYED in Hawaii`s weather!

Natty`s Red, would last about 2 weeks in Hawaii

imported_DJBAILEY
08-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Zaino Z2/Z5 only lasted 2 washes? Hard to believe you didn`t do something wrong.

bigjizzles
08-27-2009, 04:30 AM
Zaino Z2/Z5 only lasted 2 washes? Hard to believe you didn`t do something wrong.

Yes it is hard to believe also.

In high school, I have used Zaino before, with weekly washes, and it did last for much longer.

But I`m putting these sealants under harsh conditions. In the experiment, I only washed the car once a month. I have a garage, but still parked in the sun!!! Just think about how much dirt, dust, sand, contaminants and salt is on the LSP eating it away. The sealant has to endure that for a month, without being cleaned. The only exception is spot cleaning of bird droppings

Try it your self. Apply One car with a sealant and dont wash it for a month. Apply another car with that same sealant but maintain it weekly/daily, you`ll see how durability and resistance changes them.

The reason I am washing monthly is because I want to see if the sealant has survived the battle with the elements. If the car was maintained more often, the sealant would not really be battling elements, as the surface is clean of salt and other things.

Remember now, I`m testing how the sealants can resist against the elements. I`m sure if these were all garage queens, or regularly maintained, they would all last long.

But there are some customers who don`t do regular maintenance, so my test help to see what product may offer that type of protection for those customers who don`t perform regular maintenance, but come in to bi annual cleanings.

Hope this helps in understanding my experiment

bigjizzles
08-27-2009, 04:52 AM
This might help Clarify. Just from my experiment..

If I put Collinite in a room filled with mother nature, after 1-2 months, it will come out with a scratch here and there, some bruises, but it is still walking and protecting your paint.

If I z5/z5 in a room filled with that same mother nature, after 1-2 months, it will still be protecting your car, but it will come out of the room with a broken arm and some stiches.

Zaino does last long!!! I am a Zainophile myself, I just wanted to see how long it would last on a car if it wasnt washed every so often.

For example this picture, it`s not a picture I took, but its a good picture of how your car can get sometimes at a day at the beach like Sherwoods, Lanikai, Ilikai beach Hawaii

http://greatwesternroadtrip.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/dirty-car.jpg

It sucks too because cars and other people who park kick up the sand when they pass by yuor car, and if you are driving on sand sometimes, it realy kicks up alot of sand too, since wheels like to do that, and it gets really sandy!!!

Just want to give an idea of the weather conditions.

If Zaino was on one door, and Collinite on the other, what LSP would be destroyed first from the attack? What LSP would remain standing victorious?

imported_Jakerooni
08-27-2009, 07:53 AM
sounds like I need to look into some blackfire with polycharge then. I think it`s a pretty fair "real world" experiment you did there. At least for your location. Good job

imported_mobenzowner
08-27-2009, 08:36 AM
I like your experiment a lot. Now if we could get someone in a northern climate to do the same over a winter period we could have a "best of summer" and "best of winter" lsp idea. BTW what collinite did you use? I am guessing 476 of 885. Anyway, thanks for sharing your findings.

Dan
08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I`ve had similar experiences, especially with Zaino. While I loved the look and gloss, I never seemed to get the paint protection that I did from other LSPs. Though, I would easily get 3+ months of beading with Zaino but I also got acid rain etching and all kinds of other stuff sticking to the paint if I didn`t re-apply Z2 or Z6 weekly.

I`ve had no acid rain etching or water spots with Megs NXT or 21 (or any other carnauba applied regularly). I have yet to use anything that beats Collinte 845 for all around protection.

I`ve been preaching the idea of water beading is not indicator of protection. There are certain LSPs that are great for garage queens or show cars. Few are really good at protecting the paint.

RaskyR1
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
The Zaino Zealots are going to get you! :D

Dsoto87
08-27-2009, 10:09 AM
The Zaino Zealots are going to get you!

Had to quote that for the truth, cause we all know, if you had a bad experience with zaino, ITS YOUR FAULT!!!!............ Any minute now............

Dan
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Had to quote that for the truth, cause we all know, if you had a bad experience with zaino, ITS YOUR FAULT!!!!............ Any minute now............

I used to be one of those!!! Everyone eventually opens their eyes and sees the light. I guess it takes some longer than others. I still love ZPC (for door handles, etc by hand) and Z16 though.

Dsoto87
08-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Thats not to say Zaino is a bad product or anything, just that some take it way more serious than others. As if Sal Zaino was their babys daddy or something :think:

RustyBumper
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice write up. I really dig that last pic. :)

bigjizzles
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I love the new polycharged blackfire!!!

Well I am a Zainophile myself. I like zaino as well, I think Zaino does well when maintained, but when left out by itself it is not as resistant as some other LSP IMO.

imported_DetailDan
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
The Zaino Zealots are going to get you! :D

I was thinking the same thing... :hide: