PDA

View Full Version : ONR on brand new paint job

Pages : [1] 2 3

efnfast
08-25-2009, 12:50 AM
If you have a non-factory brand new paint job, can you use ONR to wash it, or do you want to wait 3mths or so before you wash it with ONR?

Seems silly, but I`ve seen that ONR adds some gloss to the paint and beading ability, so I don`t know.

scary bill
08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
I don`t think it is a silly question. My bottle of ONR doesn`t say if it is new paint safe. I checked their web page also, I don`t really know.

nailzer
08-25-2009, 04:29 AM
I had a car of mine painted at a local dealer. It was "baked"after it was painted, and according to the body shop forman the car was safe to wax immediately.

DM101
08-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Yes you can wash it with ONR w/ no problems. Should look great.

brwill2005
08-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Petro-solvents cause problems on new paint. ONR is fine.

Mike_Phillips
08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Shouldn`t cause any problems.

Just to note, although your painter is knowledgeable about the paint system he sprays, I`ve never heard of a single paint manufacture that recommends using anything that can seal paint for at least 30 days.

Probably just hedging their bets as modern clear coats are usually catalyzed and baked-on and by the time a few days goes buy they`re pretty much set-up and cured.

At the same time the manufacture knows their products best.

I think Paul aka the other pc looked into this one time and posted his results on MOL but I`m not 100% sure.

A car wash shouldn`t be a problem though but if you want to play it safe, wait to seal the paint for at least 30 days, then have at it.

Also just to note, I`ve read for years people saying that after the paint is baked at the body shop it`s completely dry, but I know that if you take that car home, park it in your garage and close all the doors and then walk back out into the garage after a few hours you`ll smell solvents. So something is still flashing off.

For what it`s worth...

:)

Accumulator
08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
AFAIK, the definitive thread (here at Autopia) was by mirrorfinishman, who asked the major paint manufacturers how long to wait. A SEARCH on his username oughta bring it up. They all said to wait ~90-120 days under all circumstances, but who knows if that`s just a CYA answer.

I know that IME, even baked paint continues to harden for quite a long time. I wait at least 90 days, but that`s just me.

But as for the point of this thread, IIRC Dr. G. from Optimum has given this topic some real consideration and *IIRC* ONR and OCW are both supposed to be fresh-paint-safe. That OCW one surprised me, but, at I recall it, it`s been OKed by Ford for post-production paintwork.

I still wash fresh repaints conventionally and then use Meguiar`s #5 on them, but again, that`s just me.

Bert
08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
But as for the point of this thread, IIRC Dr. G. from Optimum has given this topic some real consideration and *IIRC* ONR and OCW are both supposed to be fresh-paint-safe.

I asked Dr Ghodoussi this same question once and he replied that Optimum Car Wax is fine because is contains no solvents or abrasives whereas Poliseal or Optiseal should not be used until the paint is fully cured because they both contain solvents and Poliseal contains abrasives.

scary bill
08-26-2009, 12:29 AM

Also just to note, I`ve read for years people saying that after the paint is baked at the body shop it`s completely dry, but I know that if you take that car home, park it in your garage and close all the doors and then walk back out into the garage after a few hours you`ll smell solvents. So something is still flashing off.

For what it`s worth...

I came across this also. I had some paint/body work done in the winter, january. The painter did say that he couldn`t bake the new paint as usual because it was around -10/-20F here in MN.

He kept the truck in his heated shop for an extra week just for some margin. He also warned me that the paint could have ended up on the soft side (think Honda). He did tell me to give it 3 or so months before I wax it. I told him it is rarely warm enough here in march to wax anyhow.

My garage smelled like a paint booth for at least another week after I brought it home.

:werd:

Mike_Phillips
08-26-2009, 06:17 AM
I

My garage smelled like a paint booth for at least another week after I brought it home.

Thanks for adding that last sentence. I`ve seen heated debates over this topic on other forums as some people will say that after it leaves the body shop the paint is completely cured and dried and safe to wax but your nose tells another story.

Honestly I`ve never seen a paint job fail because it was waxed too soon. That said, 30 days goes by pretty quickly.

Meguiar`s makes a product, (M80), that`s body shop safe and safe to use on fresh paint that contains a protective paintable polymer in it. It doesn`t offer a lot of protection, in the eyes of some, something`s better than nothing.

I suggested to one of the chemists to take this protective polymer and turn it into a fresh paint safe wax or sealant and there wasn`t that much interest in the idea. ValueGaurd offers a wax in their Body Shop Safe line of products and states the wax is silicone-free and safe for use in a body shop but that doesn`t mean it`s safe for applying to fresh paint.

The idea behind not applying a wax or paint sealant to fresh paint is to no seal the surface so any solvents or other substances can outgass.

Here`s a link to the product,

Finishing Wax (http://www.autopia.org/forum/Finishing Wax)

http://www.valugard.net/store/images/PRODUCT/large/28.jpg

I also sent them an e-mail asking about whether it was also safe to apply over fresh paint. If they get back to me I`ll let you know what they say.

David Fermani
08-26-2009, 07:10 AM
I think Zaino claims their sealants are fresh paint safe? And, if I`m not mistaken Sal was in the Body Shop business for a while.

Has anyone ever seen any evidence of premature paint failure by sealing in fresh paint? I`ve talked to many people in the paint and body shop industry about this topic and the answers I get are all over the place.

I`d like to pick up a freshly painted, non-baked panel and LSP it every day for a month and see what happens both short and long term.

Scottwax
08-26-2009, 07:35 AM
When I got the front end of my Honda repainted (shop used Spies-Hecker paints), he said no power washing for a week and not to wax for 90 days. He said that polishing any time would be fine.

Mike_Phillips
08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Has anyone ever seen any evidence of premature paint failure by sealing in fresh paint? I`ve talked to many people in the paint and body shop industry about this topic and the answers I get are all over the place.

Joe aka SuperiorShine painted a hood or fender some time ago and was going to seal it with a wax or paint sealant and see what happens. Maybe he`ll chime in?

Flashtime
08-26-2009, 08:25 AM
I`ve applied NXT on a refinished panel (few days old). It sat for months

and dulled out... Baked on or not, best to wait before applying any LSP.

*Not all clears are the same nor applied the same.*

*It`s not just the clear either. The other materials below it can matter.*

David Fermani
08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
I thought there would be bubbling or delamination before dulling. Failure from the inside out, not the opposite.