PDA

View Full Version : Please critique the supplies I plan on buying (< $150 budget)

Pages : [1] 2 3

eddiehaskell
08-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I just bought a new car and before doing anything, I thought I`d do it right and buy some decent supplies. Obviously I want to minimize scratching and I want to put something on that will last 4+ months.

Washing: (2) 5 gallon buckets ($0), grit guard ($10), DF 6x10 Concours wash mitt ($9), Zaino Z7 ($9), Dawn dish detergent ($0)

Drying: Micropak 24" x 36" Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel ($15) and leaf blower ($0)

Clay: Z18 ($17)

Polishing: Z2 ($15), ZFX ($20), Z6 ($10), zaino applicator ($2.50), Z6 ($10), Zaino 3pk towels ($25)

Total: $142.50

Opinions? Anything I should switch or add?

dheath
08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
If you use DG products, you might be able to cut that in half

craigdt
08-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Agreed. And you can get them locally at Napa or Carquest. Even though the name may not be quite as cool or whatever, switch bottles and you most likely couldnt see a difference.

But you can spend extra for a name if you want.

Now here are my humble suggestions that differ:

Vroom wash mitt- $5

Meguiars Gold Class Soap- $7

Mothers Clay Kit- $15

Collinite 845- $7

Vroom Towels- ~$15

There. You get a towel with the clay kit, and a QD so you save on Z6.

Or if you want Zaino but for less, get the Duragloss 105 instead of Z2 and 601 instead of ZFX.

ThrillHo
08-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Agreed. And you can get them locally at Napa or Carquest. Even though the name may not be quite as cool or whatever, switch bottles and you most likely couldnt see a difference.

Vroom wash mitt- $5

+1 bold. I hope to god you weren`t planning on washing your car with dawn every time you wash it.

paco
08-24-2009, 01:04 AM
I`d skip the ZFX and get some type of polish. maybe Meguiars 205 or menzerna 106FA.

As good as claying is, it can introduce marring which will need to be polished out. Even the best washes and some introduce some very very minor swirls etc which will need to get polish outed as well.

If budget is tight, the Z6 can be cut with distill, RO or DI water upto 50%. way better then buying 2 bottles.

Also, don`t forget to pickup some tire protectant as well. I like Zaino`s but it`s not cheap, i`m also a fan of Meguiars endurance (non high gloss) but that`s not cheap either.

You`ll also need some type of degreases/all-purpose cleaner to help with door jams, engine bay and cleaning of vinyl.

paco
08-24-2009, 01:05 AM
If you drop the ZFX, don`t forget to make sure you get Z1 in place of it.

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2009, 01:15 AM
If you drop the ZFX, don`t forget to make sure you get Z1 in place of it.

They stopped selling Z-1 when they started selling ZAIO.

David Fermani
08-24-2009, 02:47 AM
I just bought a new car and before doing anything, I thought I`d do it right and buy some decent supplies. Obviously I want to minimize scratching and I want to put something on that will last 4+ months.

Washing: (2) 5 gallon buckets ($0), grit guard ($10), DF 6x10 Concours wash mitt ($9), Zaino Z7 ($9), Dawn dish detergent ($0)

Drying: Micropak 24" x 36" Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel ($15) and leaf blower ($0)

Clay: Z18 ($17)

Polishing: Z2 ($15), ZFX ($20), Z6 ($10), zaino applicator ($2.50), Z6 ($10), Zaino 3pk towels ($25)

Total: $142.50

Opinions? Anything I should switch or add?

Ditch the ZFX and Wash Mitt and get a HD Grout Sponge ($2), Z-16 Tire Dressing & Dressing Applicator.

eddiehaskell
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was under the impression that ZFX is needed or else the application process will take much longer...?

Can Duragloss 105 be applied without the catalyst? Will it still adhere to the paint for a long time (4 months or more)?

If I go this route, I`m thinking this....

Duragloss 105 = $10 (can I get this at NAPA?)

Meguiars gold class soap = $7

Blue Vroom microfiber mitt or Advance Auto lambswool mitt (which is better?)= $5

Vroom yellow microfiber drying cloth = $7

4 or 5 Vroom microfibers = $10

applicators = $3 (any OTC recommendations?)

Mothers clay bars/quick detailer = $13

Grit guard = $10 (I couldn`t find these in stores)

Total = $65

A few of those prices seem a little low, but I get a 20% discount at AA.

How does this sound? Can this give me results on par with Zaino? On a lot of car forums they make it sound like boutique stuff is the only way to go if you want to do it right. How is the Vroom microfiber stuff compared to pakshack and the like? Reading the Zaino website kinda made me nervous about picking the right microfiber.

Chicagoareanew
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Is Vroom the microfiber they have at target? If so, I wouldn`t buy that if I were you. I`ve felt it and it was completely rough. And I bought a target detail brush, and if frayed right away, so I would never buy anything from them again.

Dan
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Vroom wash mitt- $5

Mothers Clay Kit- $15

Collinite 845- $7

Vroom Towels- ~$15

There. You get a towel with the clay kit, and a QD so you save on Z6.

Or if you want Zaino but for less, get the Duragloss 105 instead of Z2 and 601 instead of ZFX.

Some solid recommendations, add in Ultimate Compound and Swirlx from Walmart for another $20. I`d even say get the ICE clay kit (the one that comes with the real bar and the liquid clay), its $16.

eddiehaskell
08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Collinite 845- $7

Hey, any reason for suggesting 845 over 476?

You got me interested in these and I did some reading. Here is the description I found for 476:

"Collinite #476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax

One of the finest paste type auto waxes available. Easy to apply and absolutely DETERGENT PROOF. Collinite Super Doublecoat is guaranteed to outlast and outshine any other competitive auto wax, polish or protective coating under any conceivable condition. That`s why it`s called the PERMANENT AUTO WAX.

No hard rubbing or buffing... and no special applicator is required. Collinite Super Doublecoat will last a full year, even under adverse conditions. Clear coat safe. Available in 9 oz cans."

I know some of this is just marketing, but it sounds like something I`m looking for....

Bert
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Is Vroom the microfiber they have at target? If so, I wouldn`t buy that if I were you. I`ve felt it and it was completely rough. And I bought a target detail brush, and if frayed right away, so I would never buy anything from them again.

I (and many others on here) have been using the orange Vroom towels for over a year and they are quite safe. If someone gets marring from those towels it was because the towel was dirty or their paint is so stupid soft that any towel would have marred it.

I also use the Yellow Vroom drying towels and they are OK. If you accidentally drop one on the ground, it is like velcro to stuff on the ground and it will not wash out. You either throw the towel away or spend a quite a bit of time picking the stuff out of the towel.

Bert
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Ditch the ZFX and Wash Mitt and get a HD Grout Sponge ($2), Z-16 Tire Dressing & Dressing Applicator.

David,

I assume you say drop the ZFX because you thinking layering Zaino is a waste of time and product?

Besides ZFX, didn`t you say you like Zaino`s sealants over all?

tenorplayer23
08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
I`d say the target Vroom`s are fine, depending on what you do with them.

Their light yellow "drying towel" is actually very good for either drying or general polish use. Fairly thick & soft.....not as good as a real good Cobra towel, but, a relative bargain. Currently $3 ea. at the local Target here on sale. I`d say this is a pretty good towel for #3.

The orange towels are a little below that, but pass the "cd test" and I`d feel comfortable using them for clean-up, interiors, etc. Currently 8 for $8 here locally. $1/towel! :)

The white/gray towesl are the cheapest, but pass the "cd test". I`d use those for wheels, engine clean-up, other areas where they will get very dirty. Currently 12 for $8 here locally. <$1/towel! :) Use them for the things where a microfiber would be nice to use, but will get dirty......and devote them to that area/purpose.

For polish removal - I`d suggest Cobra Indigo`s from Autogeek. For buffing & QD, I`d recommend the gray Cobra 530`s from Autogeek. But, then again, they are more expensive.....look for BOGO deals. But, these towels are worth it.

A rule of thumb, buy your "good MF`s - ones to remove polish, buff, apply/buff QD`s, touch your paint, etc. from a good MF source. Spend good money on good MF towels for these purposes. For wheels/interiors/ etc. where you need a lesser quality towel, buy cheap towels from a cheap place. Target Vroom`s are but one example.

Hope that nhelp.

Thx.

See ya. :wavey:

But,