PDA

View Full Version : friend has a problem

Pages : [1] 2

erics00ls
08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
hi.. a friend of mine has been working on his car lately and debadged the back of his car and there`s paint fade. is there any way for him to make this less noticable? pic very related:

http://i31.tinypic.com/1267fkg.jpg

Legacy
08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
If he doesn`t have a machine polisher, try Meg`s Ultimate compound by hand. I don`t think it will match completly, but it will probably look better than it is.

nighthawkcoupe
08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I think the more pressing issues are the "ABS" badge placed over the third brake light and the bumper sticker.

Legacy
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I think the more pressing issues are the "ABS" badge placed over the third brake light and the bumper sticker.

What about the bumper itself?

efnfast
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
If he doesn`t have a machine polisher, try Meg`s Ultimate compound by hand. I don`t think it will match completly, but it will probably look better than it is.

you don`t think 1/4 of the trunk not being oxidized, and 3/4 being, would look better, hehe?

Bigpoppa3346
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
What about the bumper itself?

What about the entire car? :nervous2:

erics00ls
08-22-2009, 05:52 PM

What about the entire car? :nervous2:

Why don`t you two do me a favor and keep these types of remarks to yourself.

My friend is sixteen years old. This is his first car and he is slowly making progress on it. The car was MUCH worse when he started, and not everyone is fortunate enough to have their parents hand them keys to a BMW as their first car..

This is one of the reasons I don`t come to Autopia.org much anymore because folks like you three always have some excuse to post arrogant crap like the two posts above this text. I didn`t ask for your opinions on the car, I asked how he can fix it.

Dan
08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Its a tough crowd around here. That ABS on the rear brake light is pretty bad.

erics00ls
08-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Its a tough crowd around here. That ABS on the rear brake light is pretty bad.

He removed the ABS badge from under the right outer tail lamp so he could polish that area and he just stuck the emblem there with the remaining tape so he didn`t lose it.

Yeah, you`re right. It sure is a tough crowd on this site.. bunch of ballers in base-model Accords and old Lincoln LS`.

I guess I won`t post any pictures of my ````box, fearing someone might not like it!

Oh, what the hell..

http://www.upitall.com/Public/Pictures/3DSC00936.JPG

nighthawkcoupe
08-22-2009, 06:27 PM
This is one of the reasons I don`t come to Autopia.org much anymore because folks like you three always have some excuse to post arrogant crap like the two posts above this text. I didn`t ask for your opinions on the car, I asked how he can fix it.

I`m sorry if my post came off as arrogant- it wasn`t intended that way. I just couldn`t understand why someone would worry about debadging when they have bumper stickers and are adding badges to the rear windshield. Your explanation seems to have cleared that up, and I`m glad your friend doesn`t want an ABS badge in his window.

Let me give you some advice that may be more useful-and I think this is what Bigpoppa was getting at with his "arrogant" post. Anything you can do to clean up that area enough to blend the fading will also look ridiculously out of place in comparison to the rest of the car. What your friend really needs to do if he is serious about getting this car looking good is to first get rid of the clearcoat oxidation. A good product to try (some will disagree) is turtle wax liquid clay bar. It removes oxidation with ease-especially if machine polishing is not an option. May even help blend the debadge job a bit. Follow this up with a real clay bar-may not help with the debadging but the car probably needs it. Then move on to a polish like the ultimate compound mentioned above.

Let us know what kind of products you/your friend have, and what kind of money he is willing to spend, and we can help some more.

nighthawkcoupe
08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
By the way- my accord is not "base model," and big poppa`s LS could be as new as 2006 judging by the body style-hardly an old car. Either way-I don`t think either of us think or act like we are "ballers" because of them. Any pictures you post on forums are going to be criticized whether you ask for it or not.

Clean impala, by the way.

erics00ls
08-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Again, I asked how to fix that problem. I didn`t ask about anything else.

Edit: For giggles, his LS is an 00, 01, or 02.

nighthawkcoupe
08-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow man, I was just trying to give you some honest advice. Unfortunately there is no easy answer to your question because that single area CANNOT be fixed without fixing the rest of the car as well-or at least the rest of that panel. See my quote below.

"Anything you can do to clean up that area enough to blend the fading will also look ridiculously out of place in comparison to the rest of the car."

I told you what to do-part of it involves getting rid of the oxidation of the clear on the REST OF THE CAR. The problem area is not the "chevrolet" ghosting-it`s the neglected paint surrounding it.

You came here for advice and you just got it-sorry if it isn`t what you wanted to hear.

erics00ls
08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
It isn`t anything I didn`t want to hear. He has a link to this thread, he asked me how to fix it and I did not know how to fix something that bad so I figured I would post here. He is working on the car as time goes, as money comes in.

PS:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f68/125042d1245905733-best-place-sell-jewelry-ballin.gif

imported_Jakerooni
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
89 X?? So you`re down by Detroit huh? I would say bring it to me and I`ll fix it. You`re probably going to have wet sand it down a bit. Looks to me more like it was a repaint on the deck lid. Both colors you see in that pic are stock for cavaliers. (I`m also a moderator on a Cavlier forum and have owned about 10 of them myself so far LOL so I know them like the back of my hand) But if it really is oxidized then do a light wetsand on it and the polish it back out.