PDA

View Full Version : Tape Adhesive Transfer

JSFM35X
08-22-2009, 05:07 AM
I polished my car last week and taped off the lights and trim. When polishing I hit the tape with the polisher and did not think there would be any issue. i see that the adhesive transfered to the paint leaving a white line at the edge. I can get it off with some elbow grease and a damp MF is this the norm?

I was using various width 3M blue tape?

Is there a better product or process to avoid this?

Apollo_Auto
08-22-2009, 07:00 AM
I polished my car last week and taped off the lights and trim. When polishing I hit the tape with the polisher and did not think there would be any issue. i see that the adhesive transfered to the paint leaving a white line at the edge. I can get it off with some elbow grease and a damp MF is this the norm?

I was using various width 3M blue tape?

Is there a better product or process to avoid this?

That`s odd that 3M blue would do that... try the green. Anything else than those 2 are really a waste of money if glue transfer is a concern, because they have just the right amount of glue to stick, but not enough to transfer... in most cases :). I wouldn`t suggest rubbing it too hard because you`ll mar the paint again, but if it doesn`t come off with water and a MF, which it probably won`t, use IPA then APC if that doesn`t work.

Accumulator
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, tenacious tape residue can lead to remarring the paint if you get too aggressive (BTDT :o ).

The Scotch brand tape I`m currently using leaves too much residue (compared to the 3M that I prefer), but it wipes off easily enough with some 3M Adhesive Remover on a soft MF.

SpoiledMan
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
The white line is likely polish residue.