PDA

View Full Version : Soon I can start...

markw78
08-22-2009, 02:18 AM
I got a new G8 GT, I love the color.. Pacific Slate Metallic, but it shows things. The car sat on a dealer lots for at least 6 months, and was at 2 dealers (one Pontiac dealer went down).

The paint is in bad shape (to my eyes) theres a lot of micro marring that looks like it was probably caused by the cheap $1/car washes it got with 6+ months on lots.... ugh! thats the most of it, since it covers most of the car. The paint doesn`t feel so hot either.

planned to wash it with Dawn to remove whats there, hit it with some clay (have both mothers and zaino clay) using car wash soap/water as a lube...(QD spray is just to $$$ to use for this if you don`t have to use it)

Now I am stuck, on the swirls and scratches from the uncaring washes with dirty rags!

I have Z-PC, and am not sure if I should use a white or black pad with it to start. Some of the scratches look pretty bad, like a wet sand, but you can only really see them under direct intense light, so they are micro? It will be applied with a PCXP.

I think that is all I`m stuck on, afterward I planned to hit it with the Z5, then a coat or 2 of Z2+zfx, though after reading another thread I am now thinking of doing the Z5+zfx twice and the Z2 once?

I didn`t get Z8 or anything... I have some Mothers QD and also some spray wax and QD from Victory Wax.

I wash with a Micro fiber mit from Target... blue one, had orange and white packaging, hope I`m not causing scratches with it... I dry`d with a chamois, but recently got a waffle mf for drying and a jelly blade I`m not sure I want to use lol

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2009, 06:31 AM
If you`re trying to remove swirls, you`re going to need to use the white pad. I don`t know what the paint is like on those Holdens, but if it`s like regular GM it`s hard as a rock and you`re not going to do much to it with Z-PC, a white pad, and a PC. It will have shiny swirls, though.

markw78
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok so what would I need?

Is the Z-PC the wrong polish or would it work with an orange pad, then a white?

DaGonz
08-22-2009, 03:51 PM
If you`re using a PC, get the Meguiar`s 105/205 combo.

markw78
08-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Kinda what I figured, went looking today some, tried 2 auto parts stores and 1 walmart but none had it.

I had used some victory wax on my girlfriends 99 corolla, it cleaned up bit left a haze and some swirls (#3 polish, their aggressive also with an orange pad). I hit a small spot of that with the Z-PC and my hand, and it looks pretty good.

Still can`t get all the type-II water spots off, under surface etchings and some above I clayed for some time but it`s still there... time to order the 105/205 combo :)

Have a set of 5.5" and 4" pads with new backing plates coming monday