PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered Zaino

proman3998
08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I just ordered Zaino today, it should ship on Monday and be here in California by Thursday. I am hoping to get the best shine yet out of my vehicle, i currently have a mirror like finish but it takes a lot to maintain and the Zaino after applying seems to be easier to upkeep.

I am used to wash, clay, then, using a Porter Cable Orbital with various pads from cutting to poilshing starting with a cutting agent, then swirl remover, then finishing compound, polymer 2, then polymer sealant with a mild cleaner, finalized with an oil based wax and finally a hard carubana wax.

after this to upkeep is a wash a week and hard carubana wax everytime, which takes approximately an hour to apply after setting and letting it dry and removing.

I have approximately 5 layers of hard wax on my black challenger and it shines like a mirror but still not as good as some of the Zaino pics Ive seen so Im hoping im a convert.

Ive ordered the whole zaino line up, the ultimate kit, the triplets, the pc, and the plastic and window cleaner/polishes. Im excited to get started later this week, does anyone have any tips so I can get it done right.

Cleaning Fool
08-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Make sure the Z5/Z2 is dry before you remove it. Most of the time I wait 2 hours before I remove it just to be sure and its never streaked on me. My favorite bling bling combo on black is a coat of Z5 followed by a coat of Z2. Give it a try, bet you like it.

craigdt
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Just follow the directions carefully and you will be fine.

I has been known to be a bit finicky.

Best of luck.

dogma
08-22-2009, 11:12 AM
You will definately here all the reasons against Zaino. What i can tell you, its the most durable LSP and awesome looking on ( a properly preped surface).

The first time will seem like a lot of steps & time to put in ,but once you do the intial full treatment it will be very easy to maintain.

wfedwar
08-22-2009, 11:29 AM
To me, Z2 looks better than Z5. If I use Z5, I always follow with Z2. Z5 will darken paint much more than Z2, which is something many people go for, just not for me. My #1 recommendation is to use Z8 as the last step every time. When you use Z8, only buff lightly. You`re really just trying to spread it around. Most of the Z products take a few hours or a day before they really give you the final look.

asharma
08-22-2009, 11:50 AM
can you put 1 coat of z5 on followed by 1 coat of z2 without any ZFX for curing?

wfedwar
08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
can you put 1 coat of z5 on followed by 1 coat of z2 without any ZFX for curing?

I don`t have an "official" answer for you, but I`ve done it before without seeing any ill effects. I have ZFX and I never use it. I can`t see that it does anything...

asharma
08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
thanks, so the z2 was put on immdediatley after the z5 (ie. not waiting the 24 hr period)

Kean
08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Please don`t take offense to this but judging by the description of your previous regimen, I would strongly suggest reading through the following links in this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/108836-helpful-threads-newbies.html

As far as Zaino is concerned, I would read the information on their website. The answers are all there. However, here are some random thoughts.....

Personally, I have never found the application/removal "finicky" when following the instructions. Apply thin, even coats and allow to dry. Do a finger swipe test after about 30 minutes and go from there. ....the longest I have had to wait is 45 minutes but time can vary based on humidity, etc. Make sure you do all of this in a shaded area and the panels are relatively cool to the touch. The gloss enhancer spray (Z-6) does seem to help between coats.

I have used their products for several years (and still do for some applications) and while I like the durability, slickness and relative ease of use, I always found the wait between applying and removing Z-5/Z-2 pretty time consuming. ....couple that with a full detail (inlcd. clay, polish, etc.) and it makes for a very long session. These days I`m more about processes, tools and products that save me time/effort (while getting the same or similar result).

Zaino used to be my "go to" LSP but these days it is being replaced with newer products like Opti-Seal (a WOWA - wipe on, walk away sealant). Unfortuantely some get blinded with brand loyalty (or brand hatred) and tend to miss out. Personally, I like to keep my mind & options open. In the end, what matters is what works for you.

Kean
08-22-2009, 01:54 PM
can you put 1 coat of z5 on followed by 1 coat of z2 without any ZFX for curing? ....the "official" word is that you need to use Zfx when applying multiple coats in a short period of time (and only 3 maximum within a 24 hr period). The Zfx helps the previous layer cure faster so you don`t have to wait.

wfedwar
08-22-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks, so the z2 was put on immdediatley after the z5 (ie. not waiting the 24 hr period)

I`ve done it. I didn`t see any problems with applying it that way. Maybe I didn`t get the full benefit of two layers, who knows.

asharma
08-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks Kean...so if applying z2 as a final layer over z5, the zfx would be mixed with the Z5, even if only putting one layer of z5 on followed by a layer of z2...?

Kean
08-22-2009, 02:43 PM
....here is the description of Zfx in a nutshell:

will promote cross-linking, reduce drying time, increase gloss factor, extend durability level, and instantly cure to allow multiple immediate coats! No more waiting between coats!

The ability to cut down drying/cure time between coats is one factor according to Zaino. It`s up to you whether you want to use it for the last coat as well. Personaly, I always did. One vial of Zfx always lasted quite a while in my case.

Dan
08-22-2009, 06:01 PM
You will definately here all the reasons against Zaino. What i can tell you, its the most durable LSP and awesome looking on ( a properly preped surface).

The shine is great. The water beading lasts forever. The protection from bird bombs, water spots and other chemical etching is where it really lacks. I used to love the stuff but my finish on a daily driver was suffering. I think its great for show cars, but if you park outside, make sure you keep an eye on it.

Just because its beading, doesn`t mean its protecting....

gtppilot
08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
One good tip I have picked up on this site is to keep a spray bottle of Distilled water around in case conditions were bad, or you applied a little too much, etc., etc.,. Very helpful for removing streaks etc.,. Very handy.