PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Which leather conditioner should I buy? (already searched)

imported_detail1
08-21-2009, 07:11 AM
I have a 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo SS & a 2001 Cadlilac Deville w/Leather seats that I want to maintain. I just finished my bottle of Pinnacle leather conditioner & Im ready to try something new bc Pinnacle is expensive & the cream gets stuck in the cracks.

I temporarily bought Tanner`s @Straus wich was surprisingly good.

I have 4 products in mind & I want to buy ONLY 2 out of the 4.

Please rate the Following:

1. Leather Masters - read that this is the best

2. Zaino 10 - has great reviews & is very popular

3. Griots - great reviews & works well

4. Mothers - only want it bc of its Coconut smell

Dont want Sonus bc of its bad smell but I have read that it is very effective.

Maybe i ll change my mind- Please rate Sonus as well.

Too many choices & I dont want to buy all 5 when I will only use 2 products.

trhland
08-21-2009, 08:09 AM
ive been useing pinnacle and love it . i apply it with my bare hands . then let it sit in the sun then final buff off . really had no issues..

Scottwax
08-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Leather Masters is the best I`ve used. Z-10 smells great but is an otherwise aveage (that doesn`t mean bad) leather conditioner. Haven`t used the other two. Tanner`s is decent stuff, I`d use that up before trying something else.

ALAN81
08-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Lexol leather conditioner

Streetlife
08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Prima Nourish.:2thumbs:

judyb
08-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Most leather in cars these days is `coated` leather. This is essentially a `painted` leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

`Conditioners`, balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new

Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product

Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

As your leather may now need a deep clean use a foam cleaner with a stiff bristled brush.

Follow this with protector and then maintain as above.

Hope this helps

VALE TUDO
08-22-2009, 12:15 AM
just got zaino z-10 for the 1st time yesterday and i gotta say i love that leather smell

imported_detail1
08-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Just placed an order for Leather Masters & Zaino. I already have Tanners. This is all for 2 cars only, so now I have enough conditioner & cleaner to last about 2-3 years!

wfedwar
08-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I usually just clean it and leave it alone. I have had great results with the duragloss cleaner (441 I think) in a foamer bottle. Cleaning is much more important than any kind of top coat (call it a conditioner or a protectant--some claim to be both) in my opinion.

jfelbab
08-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection Cream.

Best leather care products I`ve found.

getcha
08-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I too like LM products especially for personal cars as opposed to customer cars.. You can appreciate it 2 times over. I also LOVE DG products for their results plus an added bonus is the awesome cost

dc5itr329
08-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Has anyone compared leather masters to leatherique? I want to buy something for my acura as some of the leather has hardened. I`m looking for something to soften it up and make it like new again.

Dan
08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Leather Masters is the best I`ve used. Z-10 smells great but is an otherwise aveage (that doesn`t mean bad) leather conditioner. Haven`t used the other two. Tanner`s is decent stuff, I`d use that up before trying something else.

How does Leather Masters compare to Optimum Leather Protectant? I really like how the Optimum stuff leaves the leather looking like the day it was delivered. I hate grease and shine.

SOCALEXO
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
here are my 2 favorites

#01 - chemical guys leather condition (smartwax same thing) they also have their own branded conditioner which is the same thing...maybe a bit less expensive

http://www.poor-boys.co.za/images/leather%20large.jpg

#02 - the old standby, leather care is all they do so why trust anyone else

http://www.3gemstack.com/catalog/lexol_thumb.jpeg