PDA

View Full Version : Winter business in cold climate?

Pages : [1] 2

bmwsmity
08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I`m thinking of starting a second business doing mobile detailing to supplement my other business which is seasonal. I`ve always had an interest in mobile detailing (mostly because I`m a car lover), but just never made it happen. Now I have a large cargo van for my current business, so I have the capacity to do just about anything.

My question is, I live in an area where it gets very cold in winter... is the mobile detail business better or worse in the winter months? I would think people have less desire to clean their cars in winter and are more apt to pay to have them detailed then...but as we all know, customers don`t always make sense in their decisions.

Thanks for the input...I appreciate it immensely! :xyxthumbs

Dan
08-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Temperature will slow your progress unless you have a heated bay. As soon as it gets into the high 20`s, the washing fun ends.

bmwsmity
08-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Temperature will slow your progress unless you have a heated bay. As soon as it gets into the high 20`s, the washing fun ends.

its not so much my comfort i care about... i do irrigation work in 95 degree heat which i hate way worse than cold weather work...its about business viability and expected revenue during this time i`m concerned about...

with that in mind, what can i expect?

thanks for the reply!

WAS
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
How cold is cold ? Are we talking sub-freezing temps ?

bmwsmity
08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
How cold is cold ? Are we talking sub-freezing temps ?

in december? around 20-30 degrees average...

Nakkamura
08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Does it snow? I can`t imagine people will pay for detailing if it`s just going to snow the next day.

Dan
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
its not so much my comfort i care about... i do irrigation work in 95 degree heat which i hate way worse than cold weather work...its about business viability and expected revenue during this time i`m concerned about...

with that in mind, what can i expect?

thanks for the reply!

What I mean is, once it gets below 30, the water will freeze on you! You will get ice on the surface of the car as you try to wash.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Once the snow starts to fall you better have some dealership work lined up or you will be very hungry.

I could quit my 9-5 today if I lined up dealership work for the winter months but dealership work does not interest me.

Another idea is to put a plow on a truck and push snow during the winter

imported_Jakerooni
08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
yep once the snow fly`s you had better have something else lined up other than detailing. Customers won`t pay for a service only to have to drive it back out and ruin the detail. Dealer work puts food on the table through the colder months. Although it`s not great work by any means..

mini1
08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I used to live in a very cold climate and detail year-round. I had a heated garage, but had to wash outside with boiling hot water. The shop had an extra hot water heater just for outdoor winter washing. Even with the hot water and heated garage, the job was a nightmare. It is always cold and everything would freeze. As soon as you drive out of the garage, your detail job is trashed with road salt. Business came to a slow trickle as soon as the snow begun to fly and we had to switch over to plowing with the company truck. Most people just don`t want to pay for detail jobs in the winter. You better have something else lined up or else you become a professional TV watcher real quick.

brwill2005
08-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it really depends on your location. Here in NOVA, business definitely slows. My maintenance clients keep me fairly busy year round though. It gets pretty cold, starting in December through March, with occasional snow. Most days it is above freezing. I could not imagine Detailing in the winter in a the northern states.

imported_Picus
08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I still do detailing in the winter, I stay reasonably busy with maintenance washes, new car preps, and some corrections (though that slows down a lot). I supplement it with some body shop work (sanding, compounding) and some commercial work (like...car commercials), so I stay pretty busy. I`m 7 days a week spring/summer/fall, ~5 days a week winter.

In terms of mobile detailing, if I am going mobile in the snow I require the client has a heated garage, no exceptions. If they don`t they can come to me or we can wait. Washing under 0C (32F) gets pretty difficult not only on you, but on the car.

WAS
08-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Interesting, everyone`s experience with winter. Even here where I live, where it gets fairly cold, and it snows a good amount, detailing doesn`t grind to a complete halt in the winter months. People around here don`t care so much about their exteriors, it`s the interiors that matter to them. Winter is terrible on interiors, snow, slush, gravel, sand, and of course it`s cold so an interior never dries out. Yes it slows down, for sure, but it doesn`t grind to a halt.

You also wouldn`t believe the amount of people willing to get a complete detail just so their vehicle can thaw out overnight in a heated bay. When it`s -30 degrees (-22 F) outside for 3 weeks in a row, it`s nice to let your ride thaw out.

getcha
08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I worked all winter in cold climate, it really is a pain in the tail correcting at 35 degrees but if you want it, you can get it done. This stuff is where you find your favorite products to work with:)

JKR
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
i live in toronto...it snows a lot here...winter months the car game in general slows down. i do some delear work every now and again, no exteriors just straight shampoos...so its not really a big problem. most of my regular customers dont do anything in the winter and I`m not about to go out and wash anybody`s car in the cold lol...

if you have made enough money during the busy season you should be alright to sustain yourself in the winter months...I work 7 days a week in the summer so I don`t have to work as much in the winter...that`s the time I get to relax and take vacations and figure out the game plan for the next season...