PDA

View Full Version : removing police fingerprint powder

Shelpster66
08-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey guys......I have a lady that wants me to detail her car after she had it broken into. She tells me there is fingerprint powder everywhere and she can`t drive it because it will get all over her. It`s on the outside as well as inside.

My questions;

1. Will I be able to just wash this off normally on the exterior paint?

2. She says it`s on the leather, dash, carpet.....I did a search and it said to take as much off with a dry towel and then use a damp cloth....but what about the leather?? It`s porous........that is a mess I don`t want to make.

Any help would be much appreciated....I have to do this after work today.

Mike

alowe
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
What color is the residue?

Shelpster66
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I would think it`s black fingerprint powder......are there other colors that are used?

I haven`t seen the car yet.

Darkstar752
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
It probably just comes right off. I`m pretty sure it`s designed so that the powder sticks to fingerprints, and not much else. Sounds like it just need a good vacuum on the inside and hose down on the outside.

Shelpster66
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I`ve read a few things that say NOT to get it wet.....once you do....you`re screwed.

I`m going to try the vacuum, lint roller, and then a damp cloth... and hopefully the leather isn`t ruined.

agpatel
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
There is black, red and some other colors to help see on different surfaces. It dose not stick very well and you can use a vacuum to get some of it off, sticky tape, but best bet if it is on a hard surface would be a MF cloth that you dont care about. MF cloths will be best bet as it is meant to lift up particle and the static it creates will list up most of the powder and the rest can be wiped off with a damp MF or towel.

Shelpster66
08-20-2009, 01:03 PM
cool....well thanks to all......this will be a first for me cleaning this mess up inside of a car.....typically there are no good surfaces to take prints from as they are mostly textured....in which case you don`t get a decent print anyway.

Shelpster66
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
UPDATE.....the powder came off no problem....the seats were dark gray, so nothing showed. The way she made it sound, I though it was everywhere...but it wasn`t.

The SUV was dirty inside.....took me 2 hours to do the entire thing.

Thanks again

agpatel
08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice good deal.

Glad it came out ok and was not too hard to take care of.