PDA

View Full Version : Hologram help

Milarsky
08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello All,

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful insight!

I picked up my 2000 Steel Grey BMW M Coupe yesterday after having the hood and front bumper replaced due to an accident in New Mexico. The body shop did a wonderful job in the paintwork and matching and blending the panels. However in te brightest of sunlight, there are a large amount of swirls and holograms/buffer trails. What is my next move? Firstly, do I need to let the clearcoat and paint cure before asking to have them removed? The shop suggested waiting a week before they try to remove them.

Advice?

all best,

Jeff

Accumulator
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Milarsky- Maybe they want the paint to harden up a bit more. Even though I`m big on letting fresh paint cure for a long, long time, I do fix awful issues ASAP just because they bug me.

Generally, holograms are just a specific type of marring/scratch, and they`re usually fairly shallow, hence they`re usually not all that hard to correct.

Sounds like they`re pretty bad with that buffer...wonder how they plan to fix it if they couldn`t get it right the first time.

Milarsky
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks so much. Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. Even though the buffer work is not great the actual pani job is kinda wonderful. They do want everything to harden. I have a flex and was thinking of trying to correct it myself next week. Thoughts?

all best,

Jeff

Imatk
08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Personally I would have them fix it, unless you just WANT to do it... I mean you paid for the job it should be done correctly right?

Accumulator
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
They do want everything to harden. I have a flex and was thinking of trying to correct it myself next week. Thoughts?

I can see it both ways:

-They oughta provide satisfaction, and as soon as somebody else (e.g., you) touches it they can say "not our fault". And repaired areas are a lot easier to have an "oops!" with than factory paint.

-OTOH-

-They might make things worse, and fixing it with the Flex shouldn`t be a big deal. That`s *if* you don`t have that "oops!" though...

I`d do it myself, but that`s just me and I know my painters very well.

Milarsky
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks so much. After careful thought I decided to do this myself. Zaino Fusion, white pad and the flex literally on 1 and 2. Holograms totally gone and I felt that I really did not disturb this new paint and clear at all. Tested a one foot area with tape and the holograms stopped at the line after the above treatment. I didn`t want to go to any of my other more agressive polishes like Menzerna or Meguiars, so I went with the Fusion which did the trick. Almost no pressure, just let the Flex do the work.

thanks to all,

Jeff

craigdt
08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Good to hear it. Sounds like you got the look you were wanting.

scary bill
08-20-2009, 10:28 PM
After some bodywork I had some holograms left in my truck, along with 1500 grit sanding marks. I just dedicated an afternoon to clearing up these issues. As long as you have the tools/products/polishes to do the job, I see no downside. At least you know that the person working on your car cares(you).

Accumulator
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
... After careful thought I decided to do this myself. Zaino Fusion, white pad and the flex literally on 1 and 2. Holograms totally gone ..I went with the Fusion which did the trick. Almost no pressure, just let the Flex do the work.

Glad it worked out so well, and I bet it gave you a good sense of confidence in your abilities :xyxthumbs

Those must`ve been nice and shallow to come out with just speeds 1-2 and zero pressure, lucky you :D

Milarsky
08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes, even I was shocked when the test spot came out perfect with almost no pressure. In fact I had my wife come out and check from a few angles as I couldn`t believe this myself...

thanks again,

jeff