PDA

View Full Version : First Flex Detail tomorrow morning - Questions/Suggestions

jeffvb9
08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Hello all-

Going to start a detail of my 2006 BMW 330i (Jet Black). Overall a few deeper scratches in some spots but a lot of holograms from someone that had no clue as to what they were doing. You can actually see the pattern of the probable circular buffer that was used.

Anyway I will be using my new Flex for this detail.

Method/products going to be using:

Wash

Zaino Clay

Wash

Dry

Menzerna SIP w/ most likely orange CCS pad

Menzerna 106FF w/ white CCS pad

Menzerna PO85RD w/ blue CCS pad

First question, is this overkill? I`ve done a ton of research and have found many many people using this combo.

Second question, when do I do the IPA 50/50 distilled water mix wipedown? Before each Menzerna product?

Third question, what should I top this with? The only thing I can get quickly would be Zaino. Any suggestions as to which Zaino product to top with? AIO, Z5??

Any other suggestions??

RustyBumper
08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
What are you going to use as clay lube? What are you going to use to dry your car and what sort of towel(s) are you going to use with your IPA wipedowns?

I do IPA wipedowns as a means of inspecting my work as I go along. I`ll either work a small area and then a wipedown or do a whole panel and then a IPA wipedown. If discover that inperfections still exist, I`ll just continue to work on the area until they`re gone or until I feel that I won`t be able to remove them.

After I finish polishing the car I usually give it a ONR bath and apply my LSP.

As far as the Zaino products go, I`m sorry, I can`t help you there. I`ve never used them before. I did however just start using Opti-Seal and it`s a great product. It`s a wipe on and walk away product. It`s RustyBumper proof. :)

jeffvb9
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
What are you going to use as clay lube? What are you going to use to dry your car and what sort of towel(s) are you going to use with your IPA wipedowns?

I do IPA wipedowns as a means of inspecting my work as I go along. I`ll either work a small area and then a wipedown or do a whole panel and then a IPA wipedown. If discover that inperfections still exist, I`ll just continue to work on the area until they`re gone or until I feel that I won`t be able to remove them.

After I finish polishing the car I usually give it a ONR bath and apply my LSP.

As far as the Zaino products go, I`m sorry, I can`t help you there. I`ve never used them before. I did however just start using Opti-Seal and it`s a great product. It`s a wipe on and walk away product. It`s RustyBumper proof. :)

I dont dry the car after the first wash but instead leave it wet and then supplement with clean soapy water and one of the QD products I have. I think it works well.

I just bought a ton of different high quality WW towels for drying and microfibers towels from a few different vendors on here. I`m set as far as they go.

I was also thinking of buying a leaf blower for the drying. We will see on that tonight.

Darkstar752
08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Yea that`s overkill, you probably don`t need the 106. I would use P203S and then PO85RD.

The point of IPA wipedowns is to remove any polishing oils that would be hiding holograms, so you do it after you polish.

I personally don`t like topping. Zanio will be fine by itself.

DM101
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I`d do a IPA wipedown after SIP to be sure you have corrected your problem areas. Then a IPA after PO85RD so Z5 will bond well. I think you are set. The Flex is a awesome machine. Your car will look great. Post back your results.

DM101
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah I agree 106 is so close to 85RD.

HLxDrummer
08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
IPA wipedowns are mostly used for inspecting you work and getting rid of the oils/fillers that will hide defects, but when using products like Zaino, they also help the product bond with the surface. If you don`t do an IPA wipedown after polishing/etc. and use Zaino it probably won`t last very long.

springer1521
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
post the results!!