PDA

View Full Version : Safe to level CC on new Toyotas ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

regal
08-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Is it safe to wetsand or use the KBM to level the clearcoat on the orange peal full OEM Toyota Yaris paint jobs or would you not risk it?

mborner
08-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Absolutely not! Factory clear, especially on new Toyota`s, is unbelievably thin and the risk of damage is assured. Even if you managed to wet sand all the orange peel out without going through the clear, you would still be left with a clear coat that would be much too thin to protect the paint. Premature clear coat failure would be your end result.

corrswitch
08-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Is this consistent for all models or just certain makes and years?

Just concerned on polishing a 2005 Corolla.

And when you mean low, approximately how low is it?

Thanks for the heads-up.

DM101
08-20-2009, 07:06 AM
No car detailing is worth the loose of the clearcoat in order to remove orange peel. I`d bet a very high % of all cars have orange peel. Regards

Darkstar752
08-20-2009, 07:50 AM
No car detailing is worth the loose of the clearcoat in order to remove orange peel. I`d bet a very high % of all cars have orange peel. Regards

The only cars that don`t have it are MAYBE high-end exotics. All of your average cars have orange peel, and you just have to live with it. If you sand it down, expect to be paying for a new paint job in 6 months.

Accumulator
08-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice to see so many saying to err on the side of caution (not that I really do think it`s an error).

Inexpensive cars often/usually have very thin clear.

And yeah, most cars have orangepeel and it`s something you generally oughta live with. My Audis, despite all the hype about the robotic painting at the factory :rolleyes: have really nasty orangepeel; for what the S8 cost I woulda expected it to be a lot better.

efnfast
08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I`d say 99% of cars I see on the road have orange peel, lambos and ferraris included.

Just live with it.

Darkstar752
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Orange peel hides the defects on the actual metal of the body panel itself, if you were to take it off, you would see dings, waves, valleys, all the defects that came from the factory. Orange peel is just an easy way to hide it, so that`s what they do.

Flashtime
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Orange peel hides the defects on the actual metal of the body panel itself, if you were to take it off, you would see dings, waves, valleys, all the defects that came from the factory. Orange peel is just an easy way to hide it, so that`s what they do.

Where are you getting this information?

Darkstar752
08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Where are you getting this information?

From a guy who`s car I detailed. He used to work at a GM factory, he showed me a lot of different stuff about body panels, how to tell if it`s been in an accident, repainted, etc.

JaredPointer
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I tend to think orange peel is a "byproduct" of the factory painting process - not an intentional goal to hide defects of stamped/formed sheet metal. Just my opinion.

David Fermani
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Absolutely not! Factory clear, especially on new Toyota`s, is unbelievably thin and the risk of damage is assured. Even if you managed to wet sand all the orange peel out without going through the clear, you would still be left with a clear coat that would be much too thin to protect the paint. Premature clear coat failure would be your end result.

I`ll be putting this theory to the test soon with my next new car. I`ll be removing a substantial amount of factory clear (more than 1/2 mil) and will be washing regularly with Dawn. It will also be parked outside 24/7 in the hot S. FL sun. We`ll see how long before failure will set in??

Flashtime
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I tend to think orange peel is a "byproduct" of the factory painting process - not an intentional goal to hide defects of stamped/formed sheet metal. Just my opinion.

That would be more than just an opinion.

corrswitch
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I`ll be putting this theory to the test soon with my next new car. I`ll be removing a substantial amount of factory clear (more than 1/2 mil) and will be washing regularly with Dawn. It will also be parked outside 24/7 in the hot S. FL sun. We`ll see how long before failure will set in??

Interesting test, please keep us updated :)

In the name of science and curiosity its a significant test.

efnfast
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Why bother? I mean yea, it`s a really neat idea that will net you 5seconds of internet fame, but other than that, it`s a lot of work for something that won`t change what you or anybody else does.