PDA

View Full Version : Some more newbie questions headed your way

mikenap
08-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I have 2 simple questions that I can`t find while doing a search. Maybe I just haven`t found the right combo of words but nothing useful comes up.

My first question is what is the best way to remove polish dust from paint and surrounding areas of a car during a detail? I got some dust on the wiper arms and the vinyl wiper tray on my wife`s car and the stuff is tenacious. Even on the paint, I tried an ONR wash and couldn`t get all of it off. QD works only a bit better but I can see that leading to problems as well. An IPA wipe didn`t do much either. What tricks do you guys have to share?

My other question really has me pulling my hair out. My wife`s Civic has been repainted on the hood, front fenders and bumper, and maybe the front doors. I`m not sure if the respray was a poor job, but this is the softest paint I`ve ever seen. I have polished the hood and one of the fenders but I`ve noticed that no matter what MF towels I use, when it comes time for an IPA wipedown, every MF I`ve tried has scratched the paint again. This is beyond frustrating. I`ve used freshly laundered towels, brand new towels, Vroom towels, Cobra towels, etc. I really don`t know what to do with it at this point. The only thing that has come close was doing a final pass with Poli-seal and letting the PS pretty much disappear. There still is the spot where I lift the PC off the paint that needs wiped down and this always gets scratched too. Not to mention, I`m not sure if the Poli-seal is cleaning up any fillers left by the previous polish or not. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. It`s kind of disheartening doing all the work and putting back scratches at the last minute. Thanks in advance for the advice.

AeroCleanse
08-19-2009, 07:59 PM
In answer to your first question, an all purpose cleaner like Meguar`s APC and a detailing brush or even a toothbrush.

imported_Jakerooni
08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
the first question... I use glass cleaner and a power washer after compounding and polishing to get everything out of all the cracks and crevices. Works great.

The 2nd question... Sounds like a bad clear job that didn`t get the right amount of hardner put into it. Might want to have the body shop look at it again and tell them the issue. They may have a solution.

LQ9SS
08-19-2009, 08:24 PM
All of my experience`s with aftermarket paint are not good. If I would have to get a large panel on my truck repainted, I would sell the truck. It would drive me nuts.

mikenap
08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
the first question... I use glass cleaner and a power washer after compounding and polishing to get everything out of all the cracks and crevices. Works great.

The 2nd question... Sounds like a bad clear job that didn`t get the right amount of hardner put into it. Might want to have the body shop look at it again and tell them the issue. They may have a solution.

All of my experience`s with aftermarket paint are not good. If I would have to get a large panel on my truck repainted, I would sell the truck. It would drive me nuts.

Jakerooni, the body work was done over 5 years ago. I probably don`t have any grounds at this point in asking them to fix it. LQ, I know what you mean. This is making me crazy. Thanks for the replies guys. I may just have to live with it.

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
I think you are saying that when you do your IPA wipedown after polishing, that is when you are "scratching" the paint again. Are you sure that the IPA isn`t just removing polishing oils which are concealing your original swirls that weren`t removed by polishing?

mikenap
08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
I think you are saying that when you do your IPA wipedown after polishing, that is when you are "scratching" the paint again. Are you sure that the IPA isn`t just removing polishing oils which are concealing your original swirls that weren`t removed by polishing?

No, the swirls are gone. When I`m doing my wipedown I`m getting long, very shallow and ruler straight scratches in the direction of my wipe. There are no swirls at all on these panels, just my newly-inflicted towel scratches. Loads of fun. :bawling:

mikenap
08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I just had a thought regarding my problem, which would of course involve me spending more money but whatever. These shallow scratches are occurring during a final IPA wipedown regardless of which MF towels I use. Instead of an IPA wipedown, would some KAIO on a black LC pad do the trick of removing oils and polish residue?

Since this paint is so ridiculously soft on the resprayed panels I was thinking the KAIO on black might take the place of an IPA wipe. Then an LC red would apply my sealant or wax and a MF bonnet on my PC would buff the wax or sealant off. This way I never have to touch the paint w/ a towel and I don`t go crazy chasing these scratches all the way to sheetmetal. Does this sound like a good idea?