PDA

View Full Version : removing smells

king nothing
08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
My wife left her sunroof open in a downpour. the carpets got soaked. they are in the process of drying out but the inside of the car is starting to smell bad. We cant open it up and let it air out because it has been raining for the last 3 days. What can I do to remove the smell? Any products (OTC) that i can use?

GS4_Fiend
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
I heard putting coffee beans or baking soda inside the car will eliminate the odor. Or get some air fresheners.

H.E.D
08-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Odorcide. Smell is annoying(especially at full strength), but does the job.

salty
08-20-2009, 12:59 AM
If it isn`t dry yet, start it and use full heat on the floor and open a window a little.

It depends on how much water flooded the interior. A lot of carpets have a rubber backing that will not let water soak through. Some don`t and if there is enough water it will soak through at the seat bolts.

If it was flooded, pull the carpet, as it will never be the same, next damp day it will smell.

The dirty/wet part of the carpet should be cleaned of, dirt, food etc. Water, APC and scrub, wet vac out a few times. The last scrub, introduce the enzyme deodorizer and suck out. When done, mist on the enzyme and let dry. Finish with a mist of Febreze.

Most OTC deodorizers are either a bacteria/enzyme (organic smells) product, that usually work if you can remove most of the cause of the smell first. And only work when the product is still damp. Might need a couple applications.

Or OTC deodorizers are an encapsulator type, Febreze, which is a good finishing product.

More involved deodorizers use chemical reaction, poison, oxidation or replacement.

Good luck.

AeroCleanse
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Get as much water out as you can, then after its dry track down someone with an ozone machine

Jokeman
08-20-2009, 10:21 AM
If you have a de-humidifier stuff it in the back seat and run the cord out the window. Done this for two cars that left the sun roofs open and it dried them up pretty good.

mini1
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Use a strong wet/dry van to suck up any remaing water. If you can pull up the carpets, do it. Then turn the car on with full heat in floor mode. Let it cook for 1-3 hours. The water should be gone. You will need to shampoo/extract the carpets and clean the seats (shampoo if fabric). Make sure to clean/shampoo and extract all fabric, even on door cards if present.

Krees D Qban
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Throw a Damp-Rid in there and take the floor mats out and hang them somewhere around the house. Use an air freshener until you can do a good enough job to extract the water and stench.