PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!

jmelong
08-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I think I screwed up. I recently used a Zymol product on my beautiful black street rod. While I thought the surface was cool enough when I applied the Zymol, when I tried to wipe it off, I found it VERY difficult to get the dried wax off. After working for hours, using several other waxes that I thought would soften the Zymol, I still have many small "white dots" of dried wax that won`t wipe off.

I have thought about using a clay bar, but I am not sure this is the best method. I ned some advice from you Super Detailers. What should I do to get this unsightly stuff off.

Chops
08-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Try spraying the residue with quick detailer to soften it up

Kean
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
....I typically just use a solution of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water (distilled or deionized) in a spray bottle and wipe down the panels.

jmelong
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks guys. I have tried using Meguirs quik detailer and that didn`t seem to help. Perhaps I didn`t leave it on long enoug to soften the hardened wax, so I will give that another try. I will also try the alcohol & water idea and see what that does.

Kean
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
...the IPA wipedown I suggested is a tried an true method many will use prior to applying an LSP (wax/sealant) to help remove product residue, polishing oils, etc. I hope it helps in your situation.

jmelong
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Kean,

Thanks for the followup. I plan to try it tomorrow morning, and will let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

Apollo_Auto
08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
I`ve had this happen a few times also with different waxes and no matter what I used, IPA, APC, etc. it didn`t come off... so I spit on the MF and rubbed it off with that and it worked like a charm. I know it sounds primitive, but the enzymes in your saliva will remove more than you could imagine :). Just don`t go around spitting on peoples` cars though.

jmelong
08-20-2009, 08:44 AM
OK guys, thanks for all the help. I tried the alcohol/water trick and it took a bit of rubbing, but all that dried crap seems to have come off. I am rewaxing with my tried and true Meguires NXT and the surface sure looks better.

Kean
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
....glad you found something that worked out for you. Hopefully you didn`t create any new scratches in the finish with all the rubbing.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
so I spit on the MF and rubbed it off with that and it worked like a charm.

Cool trick

You should bottle that and sell it, at least no one can say it`s rebottled Chemical Guys:rofl

How did you stumble on this? Were you so pissed that you spit on the car..lol