PDA

View Full Version : Porter-cable question

Cbeach92
08-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Is there a certain kind of wax you are supposed to use or will any work fine? I prefer to wax my truck with Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax, but I am not sure if PC require a specific wax.

Also, I am looking into purchasing the "Ultimate Detailing Machine Dual Action Polisher by Porter Cable" if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

dheath
08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
A PC can spread on any wax pretty much the same as by doing it by hand. However you only need the PC or rotary or flex or whatever to apply polishes.

I would look into the PC 7424XP instead of the UDM...

GoCubsGo
08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
A PC can spread on any wax pretty much the same as by doing it by hand. However you only need the PC or rotary or flex or whatever to apply polishes.

I would look into the PC 7424XP instead of the UDM...

+1. Go for the PC 7424XP and apply a higher end wax by hand (that`s what I do for my DD-Pete`s 53 or Dodo Super Natural).

For friends and family I apply 1Z Glanz Wax via my PC (speed 3.0-3.5) on an Uber black pad, but I only do so because it is slightly quicker than applying by hand.

Cbeach92
08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
alright thank you Ill look into the 7424XP instead!

BigAl3
08-19-2009, 01:25 PM
using the PC to apply products (still have to apply by hand in tight areas) will save you product as you will use less, and will be more uniformed/evenly applied...

Mike_Phillips
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Pretty hard to beat machine application of a wax or paint sealant and especially a cleaner/wax if you`re working on a neglected finish.

Unlike the human unit, the machine never gets tired and applies even pressure over the face of a buffing pad whereas the human unit gets tired and you`ll tend to apply more pressure to your finger tips instead of the entire face of an applicator pad. Kind of depends upon your technique and the type of applicator pad you`re using too.

Correct Technique - Hand flat to the panel, helps to spread pressure over the entire face of your fingers.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/723/detail-90.jpg

Wrong Technique - Hand to high, places too much pressure on your fingertips, this can lead to fingermarks.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/723/detail-92.jpg

:)

Accumulator
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Too bad Meguiar`s #16 is so hard to find these days, that stuff is *great* by machine. It`s "the paste wax that turns liquid", simply perfect for machine application and a tiny bit goes a long, long way.

Dalton Blevins
08-20-2009, 07:19 AM
using the PC to apply products (still have to apply by hand in tight areas) will save you product as you will use less, and will be more uniformed/evenly applied...

That`s my thoughts on the matter. I never understand why people are so insistent on ONLY applying by hand.

I understand that some products are better applied by hand, but for a lot of them, a DA will just do it better (IMO).

DLB