PDA

View Full Version : Translation please

AeroCleanse
08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I detailed a Porsche about two months ago. The owner called me today and said that because they moved, the car has been covered the whole time (I know this is not true, but regardless). The owner says that there are scratches on the hood, buffer scratches. I have never heard of such a term, and it seems Google hasn`t either.

Anyone have any idea what a buffer scratch is? My guess is either swirls or holograms.

The Enforcer
08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
sounds like hes talking about buffer trails, or holograms like you said.

Kean
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
....first thing I thought of was scratches caused by the car cover rubbing against the paint (which can happen during a wind).

The Enforcer
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
well he said buffer scratches....which means they would be circular. i tihnk he only mentioned the car cover....to show that he hasnt noticed them until now, because the car has indeed been covered for 2 months and maybe he hasnt really seen it too well.

ajnavo61490
08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
what did he say he wanted you to do about it

AeroCleanse
08-18-2009, 10:36 PM
what did he say he wanted you to do about it

I`m going to look at her Porsche tomorrow, but wanted to get an idea of what she might be talking about.

Car was garaged the whole time

Kean
08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
well he said buffer scratches....which means they would be circular. i tihnk he only mentioned the car cover....to show that he hasnt noticed them until now, because the car has indeed been covered for 2 months and maybe he hasnt really seen it too well. ....folks will commonly misuse terms to describe issues they have. The fact that he had the car covered and is now bringing this up leads me to believe that if the car was in fact covered the whole time (and the ar was blemish free from the recent detail), the scratches he is describing could have been caused by dirt between the car and the cover. ....just throwing out some possibilities.

efnfast
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
99% certain it`s the cover`s fault. Almost impossible to cover the car COMPLETELY clean, and with the cover on it it probably marred it something fierce.

I`d examine it to make certain it isn`t hollograms or something you put in, but explain to him that car covers are no-nos.

AeroCleanse
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I examined the Porsche today, and discovered two long J shaped scratches running from almost the top of the hood down about half way before going off to the right (as you look head on). The are more like lines of multiple scratches running together.

To me it looked like the car cover was rolled up from back to front, the rolled off to the right.

The client didn`t want to have it fixed yet as its not a daily driver and hasn`t seen much use.

Gig103
08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
So, did he call them "buffer scratches" to try and guilt you into fixing it for free? Did he even have the stones to try and demand it?

Reasonable people wouldn`t, but I was reading some of the threads about the sh*tty customers.

efnfast
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
So, did he call them "buffer scratches" to try and guilt you into fixing it for free? Did he even have the stones to try and demand it?

Reasonable people wouldn`t, but I was reading some of the threads about the sh*tty customers.

You do realize most people don`t know nothing about detailing - he probably has no clue how harmful a car cover is, and thinks he was doing his baby a favor. So if he thinks it`s perfectly safe, and the car isn`t driven, there`s only 1 "logical" choice - the detailer.

AeroCleanse
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM

She didn`t mention anything about fixing them, and I didn`t volunteer to :)

JpiRally
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah...I tell my clients both in my current profession and my other clients who have high end cars to never use covers.

good to see someone was logical and wanted some advice...my client not so much.:(

joe

AeroCleanse
08-19-2009, 06:58 PM
The only time to use a cover is if you have to park outside for a long period of time. Where the bird poop and other nasty stuff would be more harmful than the cover.