PDA

View Full Version : Left raw beef in the trunk

Pages : [1] 2

jostan
08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I went grocery shopping Sunday night, I didn`t see this one item in the trunk and left it there. It started to smell in the car around Monday, nothing too strong though. Didn`t think anything of it.

After work today (tuesday) the smell got very strong. When I got home I checked the trunk and there it was, an unopened package of meat.

I sprayed the trunk with APC and used a shop vac. The smell has gotten a little bit better but it`s still there. I can also smell it in the car also.

Is there any products that I could buy OTC for this? I want to try to knock it out tonight. Thanks in advance.

salty
08-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Did the package leak?

jostan
08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
yeah it leaked thru the package and plastic bag.

Setec Astronomy
08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I hope this doesn`t turn out like the dead pig episode on MythBusters.

nosbusa1700
08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Someone elsewhere said they used coffee grounds to get the smell of meat out of their trunk.

Other suggestions. Baking Soda, Wadded up sheets of newspapers along with Charcoal briquettes.

If all this fails try an ozone generator.

jostan
08-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Someone elsewhere said they used coffee grounds to get the smell of meat out of their trunk.

Other suggestions. Baking Soda, Wadded up sheets of newspapers along with Charcoal briquettes.

If all this fails try an ozone generator.

are the above methods of covering the smell with different smell? Was wondering if there were any special cleaner for the carpet for this type of stain. Want to get rid of it completely.

noob86
08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Free shipped to you, used myself on cat pee etc. wont destroy fabric, not even wool and will get rid off all the bacteria. 4oz make 8 gallons

Odorcide 210 - The One That Works (http://www.odorcide.com/index.php?p=form&form_id=3)

RustyBumper
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
The baking soda and charcoal briquettes will help to absorb the odor, not mask it. Also, whenever possible, leave the trunk open so that it can air out a bit.

salty
08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Depending on the car, the trunk material can be removed quite easily. Take it out, spray and scrub stain with APC and rinse out with garden hose a few times and let dry in the sun. Clean the metal under the stain. Spray with a deodorizer, as stated Odorcide works well.

wfedwar
08-19-2009, 01:33 AM
My wife spilled a fair amount of milk in the back of her 4runner. Smell got pretty bad. I cleaned the area with Tuff Stuff and Febreezed the whole car. Never had any more problems.

JSFM35X
08-19-2009, 04:14 AM
First you need to remove as much of the residue as pissible. If you can remove the carpet and clean underneith to do ASAP. If Not Flood rinse and extract with clear water until the rxtracted water is clear. Then spray the area witH ANY ENZYME soloution you can find. I guess the easiest place to look is a pet store. Mix the enzyme with warm (not hot) water and spray liberally on hte area. leave car in a cool place and allow enzymes to "digest" the microscopic debris. When ther is no more "food` the enzymes starve to death and die. Rinse with water (via extractor) and air dry.

POPPAJ
08-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Maybe someone from New Jersey could chime in? ;)

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Maybe someone from New Jersey could chime in? ;)

Hey, I already did! Maybe if you can find who cleaned up this car they can help you: Body Found in Car Is Said to Be Mob Figure`s - New York Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07EFDC1531F932A35751C1A9639C8B 63)

bfhammer
08-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Oddly enough vinegar is a great deodorizer, kills 98% of bacteria as well. I use it for most of my household cleaning in a 50/50 mix. I`m readying my older truck to resell and sent it out for detailing, but the smoke scent was still really strong. I sprayed with febreeze and left a tupperware with straight vinegar in it for a day and the smell is gone.

Honda Tool
08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I have used the vinegar technique as well and it works great.