PDA

View Full Version : Leather Seat Help

JSFM35X
08-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I have seem some write ups here where a leather product is spread over the seat, left for a while and the dirt rises to the top. The it is wiped off and another product conditioned the sufrace.

What is the product and the exact process. I have a 2001 QX4 that I decided to keep after my wife got her new truck. The trade in was not worth it to me. I may sell it privatly eventually, but though since it is in such good shape, i would mint it out, drive it through the winter and then decide what to do with it.

I have the exrterior and interior under sontrol, but I have never done more than clean and condition the seats with OTC stuff. Ready to make the jump.

Thanks,

Jeff

imported_steveo3002
08-15-2009, 01:09 PM
leatherique

you apply a generous coating of rejuv oil and park in the sun all day

then use the pristine clean to clean off the mess

JSFM35X
08-15-2009, 02:03 PM
leatherique

you apply a generous coating of rejuv oil and park in the sun all day

then use the pristine clean to clean off the mess

Thanks, is leatherique the make of the product or the line?

imported_steveo3002
08-15-2009, 02:16 PM
leatherique is the brand name...a quick google should find them , not sure if im allowed to post a link

i think autogeek carrys it too

you need thier rejuv oil and pristine clean products

steelwind101
08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
IMO a product like leatherique is not a good choice for modern coated which i suspect is in your car.

It has been discussed alot on here recently, the cleaner half might be good but oils will be of no benefit wasting money and time. Not to mention, they can remain in the creases of the leather, attracting dirt and causing damage.

I would recommend something like Leather Masters Leather Protector aftering giving the leather a really good clean with Leather Masters leather cleaner or Wolfgang Leather cleaner for example.

Geoff

GS4_Fiend
08-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Leather Masters...

DetailnByDustn
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Have you guys tried both products? I love leathernique, but haven`t tried Leather Masters, so I have a bias opinion.

steelwind101
08-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Have you guys tried both products? I love leathernique, but haven`t tried Leather Masters, so I have a bias opinion.

Hi!

The point is the science, not a preference. Quite a few people have been over it on posts so do a quick search, some by me too.

But here is the general idea:

Leather in cars has a clear plastic coat on, unless its Alcantra or the suede type or youi have very old leather.

The clear plastic layer on the leather stops any absorbtion of oils etc. So when you apply a product like leatherique you often end up drying them out of wiping them off.

In the case where such oils may remain, you may find them caught in the creases in the leather. The oils attract dirt, the dirt denies the protection of moisture and the leather becomes damaged.

Modern coat leather, found in most cars does not need any sort of oils or magic juices from grapes or wrapping carnuba wax etc.

Leather Masters is one of a number of brands which offers a protector. This protector is designed for protected leather and you can imagine it as applying a sealant to clearcoated paintwork.

It keeps dirt off of the clear protective layer, thus preserving it for longer.

Further more, cleaner leather tends to show less little cracks etc as they are not highlighted by the dirt. A protector aids in keeping this dirt from entering the cracks and becoming as dirty as quickly. Its easier to maintain too!

Geoff

Jesstzn
08-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Here is an excerpt from a good posting on leather

Leatherique

Quote - Leatherique Prestine Clean is part of a two-step leather maintenance system. Step one is Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is a protein collagen complex that is absorbed into the hide to nourish it, and while it will expel dirt to the surface, it does not harm the dye in any way. This oil nourishes the leather and forces contaminants out of the pores. Step two Prestine Clean then removes these contaminants from the surface of the leather and leaves it with a clean, matte sheen. This is the only leather care system that calls for the conditioner to be used first, and it makes perfect sense! The leather absorbs as much of the oil as it can and expels the rest to the surface, along with all the contamination.”

Comment

According to Leatherequi you apply the (conditioning) oil first and then the cleaner, so it must first dissolve its own oils, limiting its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather.They state that their cleaner will only remove dirt (oils) not the Leatherequi oils. I would question how does the cleaner distinguish between oils (i.e. the most common dirt in leather are body oils followed by suntan oils and then oily residue brought in via the a/c) that should be removed and Leatherequi`s conditioning oils?

Avoid using these types of conditioners for coated leathers, as it contains lanolin, waxy cream and white spirit that can react with the coating used on today’s leather. It`s a great product for the renovation or restoration of old English leathers or other uncoated natural leather.

the rest is here

Basic Automotive Leather Care - DetailingWiki (http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?title=Basic_Automotive_Leather_Care)

B6JoeA4
08-18-2009, 10:46 AM
so how old does the leather have to be for it to benefit from leatherique. will a 2002 Lexus LS430 have sealed leather or unsealed leather.

The seats in that ls430 would not come clean at all with the Lexol i was using. is leather masters what i need or should i use leatherique?

Dan
08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Start with a 10-1 Water-Woolite mix. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well it works. If that doesn`t cut it, a 10-1 of Megs APC mix should get the rest off. I have used leatherique and while I can`t say that it will help soften treated leather much, APC+ seems to be a much better cleaner.

steelwind101
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
so how old does the leather have to be for it to benefit from leatherique. will a 2002 Lexus LS430 have sealed leather or unsealed leather.

The seats in that ls430 would not come clean at all with the Lexol i was using. is leather masters what i need or should i use leatherique?

I would have thought it was protected as long as its not suede etc.

The thing you need to watch with Woolite is that its suppose to be rinsed from the fabric. Not rinising it can cause problems with the protector, it also attracting dirt.

APC+ also needs care to ensure it doesnt stain or tarnish lighter leathers.

easyrider7467
08-19-2009, 03:16 AM
I have to chime in here....

You will need one product.....LEATHERIQUE.....

I use it my Lexus and my other vehicles...

I have used other Leather products and yes, there good.. LEATHERIQUE however is GREAT !!

My technique is I allow the seats to warm up in the Sun, then brush on Leatherique Rejuv Oil with a sponge painters brush, don rubber gloves and massage the rejuv oil into the leather.. I really work it in....

Allow to sit longer, sometimes hours, then use the Pristine Clean, applied with a spray bottle and a terry cloth towel.

Oh, sometimes I use a boars hair brush gently in addition to massaging the R.O.