PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green?

Aekon
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
so before i got into detailing, i used to use Simple Green Max to clean my engine and it worked well enough.

after joining and reading more on this site, it seems alota people like Meguiars APC. well, in addition to the Simple Green Max, id also picked up a bottle of THIER all purpose cleaner.

iv not realy had occasion to use it yet, so im wondering if anyone here can tell me if its any good or i should just save it for my wife`s car, lol. i know all APCs are not created equal, so im just wondering where this one stacks up.

i figured id ask now cause i decided i wanted to try and clean some dirt on my carpets this weekend and figured maybe this stuff is worth a shot.

any thoughts?

Aekon
08-15-2009, 05:41 PM
no one`s ever heard of it?

WaxManRonnie
08-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I`ve used Meguiars. Not bad stuff.

I also tried Amazing Roll Off which is

great stuff. Just expensive as heck. I`m always

buying Simple Green though. Not the max either.

Been using it for nearly 15 years. It does

the job very well with no issues.

Aekon
08-16-2009, 07:59 AM
great! i assume your cutting it down? i think the website says 30:1 for general light cleaning... carpets, "detailing", etc. how are you using it and how are you cutting it?

WaxManRonnie
08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
great! i assume your cutting it down? i think the website says 30:1 for general light cleaning... carpets, "detailing", etc. how are you using it and how are you cutting it?

I don`t dilute it. I use other stuff for carpet.

I mainly use it for engines and wheels.

Lonnie
08-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Simple Green makes a Heavy-Duty version (HD) that`s can be purchased at Home Depot for about $16.00. it is designed for used in the aircraft industry because it`s not suppose to be so caustic to aluminum. If you search this forum, you`ll find a lot of responses (including mine) which finds that OTC Simple Green can etch/corrode aluminum. If you want to use it for interior cleaning, it`s probably fine. Look at the Simple Green web site under Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and do a search with "aluminum". It will make you think twice about using the OTC Simple Green on engines.

Aekon
08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
interesting. when i would use it on my engine i wouldnt scrub it with anything. again, this was back before i was realy into detailing. id just mist it on, let it sit a few, then hose it off. it worked well enough, so i had no reason to look for another product.

im having a hard time finding Megs APC localy, so im just tryin to find alternatives that are easily accessible.

the simple green web site DOES say its safe for interior detailing if you dilute it down

Aekon
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
i was looking at the site where i get my supplies and came across the PoorBoys APC. anyone tried this stuff? says its good for just about every part of the car. engine, exterior, interior, carpets, leather, etc. Theres also the ChemGuys APC... though it said nothing about leather... so i guess its not as all purpose as the poorboys stuff.

how does it compare to Megs APC?

imported_mobenzowner
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
i was looking at the site where i get my supplies and came across the PoorBoys APC. anyone tried this stuff? says its good for just about every part of the car. engine, exterior, interior, carpets, leather, etc. Theres also the ChemGuys APC... though it said nothing about leather... so i guess its not as all purpose as the poorboys stuff.

how does it compare to Megs APC?

I have used PB`s apc and it is very good stuff. A great all around cleaner. However, I have had equally good luck with Meg`s apc and the last time I looked it was quite a bit cheaper than the PB`s version.

Dan
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I used to use simple green a lot more until I noticed it was causing mild oxidation on my wheels. I really like Megs APC+, it cleans as well and doesn`t smell like a freshly cleaned bathroom.

Aekon
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
no ones tried the ChemGuys APC?

i would def. get Megs APC if i could.... but i cant find a place local that carries it. and to avoid paying much more than i should to get it from the US, im looking at alternatives.

my main concern though is if it says its safe for fabric and leather. to have 1 cleaner that does everything would obviously be ideal. im pretty sure this is the case with the Megs and PBs. ChemGuys doesnt say leather. SG doesnt say leather either.