PDA

View Full Version : Ford Leather

spencer785
08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi there i have an 08 explorer and was wondering my leather is like really dry and hard not soft in a few parts. i tryed chemical guys liquid leather and that didn`t do much. I have meguiars rich leather would be good to try or what thanks.

spencer785
08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
anybody help

Bunky
08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you have real leather or protected (top coat) leather?

The test is to put some water on it. If it seems absorb, it is real. If not, it is coated.

Protected leather is usually on present in the seating areas on most vehicles. It is mostly a waste of time apply conditioners to soften top coated leathers unless the coating is gone (not likely, since it would not look that good).

steelwind101
08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
THe leather is most likely to be protected unless its Audi style suede.

Protected leather can loose moisture. I would start by cleaning the seats with a dedicated leather cleaner. One that foams is likely to have best results, i would suggest Wolfgang Leather Cleaner.

Dirty on the leather can inhibit moisture getting to the leather or obsorb the moisture itself.

Get yourself a quality leather protecter, this will help the leather get the moisture it needs but keep the dirt at bay as much as possible.

Geoff

JohnKleven
08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Does Ford use real leather??

89gt-stanger
08-15-2009, 06:29 AM

All lot of Ford leather is actually synthetic. THe only ones that I am sure are real leather are the cars we have in our family. We have a 2009 F150 Lariat, and the fronts of the seats are real leather. The front seats in the GT500 are leather and Alcantara(sp) on the seats and steering wheel. We had a 2004 Expedition, and the leather was synthetic coated vinyl feeling crap. Most Fords are used daily, and uncoated leather would be a major problem.

Lenny
08-15-2009, 06:45 AM

The seating areas are real leather, although it is, as other noted, coated. The sides and the back are synthetic.

I`ve had decent luck with Meguiar`s Gold Class leather protection products on Ford leather, but I have had much better results with Zaino Z-9 leather cleaner and Z-10 leather protectant.

spencer785
08-23-2009, 01:14 AM
anybody else

spencer785
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
bumpy bumpy

ThrillHo
08-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Don`t know if this is relevant, but I used to detail my mom`s `98 Explorer (and my dad`s `89 XJS) when I was a teenager. By comparison, I`m pretty sure the leather in the Ford either wasn`t real or was synthetic, OR coated like some people have said here. Since your car is only 1 year old, and the leather feels like that, its probably not real. Donno what you can do about it, sorry :/

Oh yea, back in the late 90`s before internet forums were all the rage and I knew even less about detailing, I would use Eagle 1 leather cleaner and conditioner. I can`t even find it OTC anymore (pretty sure its on the internet) and it did a pretty great job, as long as you give it sufficient time to dry. However, on my dad`s XJS I`d either use Hide Food (or Feed, whatever it`s called now) or the Eagle 1. I never liked the Hide Food, application always felt awkward and I was worried that I was not applying it evenly.

Apollo_Auto
08-24-2009, 01:50 AM
The seating areas are real leather, although it is, as other noted, coated. The sides and the back are synthetic.

I`ve had decent luck with Meguiar`s Gold Class leather protection products on Ford leather, but I have had much better results with Zaino Z-9 leather cleaner and Z-10 leather protectant.

Yep, only 65% of the leather in a car has to be real leather in order to say it`s got "leather interior"... the other is pleather (from plastic cows :))

http://www.magicnook.com/merchandise/cow1247.jpg

Not a whole lot you can do with it once it`s dried out IME. Also, there`s really not a whole hell of a lot you can do to prevent it either. Sure you can dress it and you`ll get some UV protection until it rubs off, but you`re not actually "conditioning" the non-leather parts, as they don`t really absorb the essential oils like real leather does, which is what keeps it supple and baby-butt soft.