PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Advice

regal
08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
New white Toyota, first two months just caranuba. I just recieved my porter cable kit.

Here is my plan:

1. Power wash

2. Clay bar

3. Klass AIO with white pad with porter

4. Klass High Gloss SealantGlaze by hand microfiber cloth

5 wait 10 hours and put o another coat of Glaze

4. Caranuba was by hand

5. Finish detail Spray.

Sound about right for a 2 month old car? I don`t see any scratches are need to polish yet., mainly want to get the glaze down as bugs stick to the surface like glue (I drive a lot at night.)

craigdt
08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
A lot of guys prefer to go 3+ coats of KHGSG. But overall your process seems good.

regal
08-10-2009, 10:24 PM
OK I`ll do 3 coats, 10 hours in between each right?

scary bill
08-11-2009, 01:10 AM
1.) PW can get the grit off of the car well, but you still need to follow up with a conventional wash (or ONR) you completely clean the car. Any grit or grime stuck to the paint will do tremendous damage if not removed before the other steps.

2.) Claying is a great idea, just use lots of lube and very little pressure. Slower is faster, as you can create a lot of marring fast with clay. Some soft paints have to be polishes if anything other than light duty clay is used. I would use a halogen work light to make sure you are not marring the car up, don`t do the whole car then check either.

3.) I would not use a LC white pad on the car with AIO, white pads can leave some very light micro-marring that takes a great deal away from the gloss of a new car. White pads a OK if the paint is rather hard like some GM cars/trucks or cerami-clear. I would use a no-cut pad like a LC gray or blue/red. Save the white pad for a real polish when/if you need to correct marring on the car.

4.) SG *needs* to be applied very thin. I have heard that is easier to accomplish with a foam applicator by hand. Moisten with water (just slightly damp) first to help spread. If the residue is hard to buff off spray some water or QD on the towel to assist, that way you don`t end up scrubbing it off and marring the paint.

5.) SG is recommended to cure 24 hours, but 10-12 should be fine.

6.) Once you top with wax you will have to strip and start completely over to add more SG.

regal
08-11-2009, 07:11 AM
My package came with orange, white,, and black pads, which do you recommend for the AIO ?

craigdt
08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
My package came with orange, white,, and black pads, which do you recommend for the AIO ?

1.) I would use a no-cut pad like a LC gray or blue/red.

:2thumbs: .

Accumulator
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Either white or black. If the paint is soft I`d go with the black.

I`d *NOT* top it with wax, especially on white. Rather, I`d add more KSG after each of the next few washes until you get 5-6 layers on there, which IME is the best way to really take advantage of that product`s characteristics.