PDA

View Full Version : What polish/pad for soft clear on black F150?

mydogbitme
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi there,

I`m a newbie to this forum, and the world of detailing a black vehicle. I have an 07 F150, and from previous posts I understand I`m working with fairly soft clearcoat. So far I have used Poorboys SSR2.0 then SSR1.0, both with LC white pads on a PC, speed 5. I have heard many on this forum say that you can`t get any marring from a white pad and SSR1, but I`ve got it. When the truck is in the shade I get compliments, in the sun I don`t see any buffer marks, but I see an obvious hazy dullness due to the fine micro scratches left by the SSR1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more fine polish/pad combo that will give me my shine back on my soft clearcoat? I believe I`m working the Poorboys long enough and at the right pressure. Any other owners of newer black F-150`s have similar problems/solutions? Thanks!

imported_etml12
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
It may be that all you need to do is finish off with SSR1 on a pad with zero cut. The most gentle approach though would likely be a no cut pad with one of the Menzerna finishing polishes (PO85RD, PO87MC, etc.). If you are still getting haze, you`ll need to revisit your polishing technique.

scary bill
08-11-2009, 01:55 AM
^^^+1

I would repolish with a LC gray/black (or equivalent from other brands).

On my `04 F150 Lightning I get some very noticeable micro-marring (haze) from a white pad if the finish is already perfect beforehand.

I haven`t used SSR polishes, but the following should still hold true.

Make sure the polish is breaking down and going "clear". If it isn`t clearing out that will cause hazing as well. Use very little polish, it is easy to use too much. Work small areas 18"X18" or so.

Use moderate pressure after the polish is spread to start breaking the abrasives.

Use slow (1"/second) passes and overlap 50% back and forth/then upand down until polish is almost clear.

Then lift some of the pressure slow down to speed 4 on PC and make even slower arm movements(1/2" sec).

Make sure that pad/paint stay wet (or filmed with polish oils) while polishing.

You`ll get there. Try some of this and report back. ;)

ninobrn99
08-11-2009, 02:03 AM
i did an 05 stang and didnt find the clear to be soft at all. I had to hit it with M105 and wool to get all the marring out, then followed it with PO85RD to get the holograms out and burnish. That combo worked pretty well.

evolutionwc3
08-11-2009, 04:23 AM
I 3-stepped an 07 F150 (which was in pretty bad shape) a while back using SIP/orange, 106FF/white and UF/blue. This truck wasn`t it great shape , but I didn`t find the clear on this truck to be real soft (more average).

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/109720-black-f-150-carmax.html

Hope this helps.

carlsson
08-11-2009, 06:37 AM
I have an 07 F150 in Oxford white that I purchased used, and I would say the clear is fairly hard. I had to step up to M95 to get the tunnel swirl-o-matic wash damage erased. If I had to start again, I`d go M105–M205 and be done. I can`t speak to all these PB polishes, but will say that the M105/M205 combo is a big winner for a two step, especially for a DD.

DM101
08-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I would go with PO85RD on a finishing pad if the surface is in good shape. It will look awesome after you apply your LSP.

ReLoaDeD BuLLiT
08-13-2009, 02:49 AM
I found the m205/white pad to be the perfect combo on this f150 today:

before:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55/snapoffracing/Details/Dereks%20Harley%20F150/Before/DSC_3492.jpg

after:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a55/snapoffracing/Details/Dereks%20Harley%20F150/After/DSC_3500.jpg

done on a rotary with m205/white, followed by optimum poli-seal on a black pad. :)

mydogbitme
08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Ok, I decided to order some PO85RD. Tried the SSR2.0 and 1.0 on my dad`s F350in the mean time to see if I could get better results. I though he was going to kiss me. He never thought his paint was going to look so good ever again. Got rid of all his bush rash and washing swirls with no left over micro hazing/marring like on my F150. Finally had the opportunity to use the PO85RD on mine tonight - great results! Thanks for the recomendations. The best part - my buddy also has a black F150 (a year newer than mine) and he`s asked me to recomend some product. I`m going to convince him to use the M105/205 so I can see those results. Thanks all!!!