PDA

View Full Version : How old can SSR be to still be effective?

w0cyru01
08-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The SSR is a couple of years old, but still looked good.

I decided to try my hand at detailing after a couple of years of not doing it. I used the SSR2.5 with orange LC pad and SSR1 with green LC pad on my and my wife`s car.

It looked like nothing was done and I wasted a few hours of a few days working on this. I looked at the PC polishing videos about various stages of polish break down but mine didn`t behave like that. When I applied the SSR2.5 and spread it with the PC on 3, it seemed like it all disappeared. After just one pass with the PC on 5 I had to struggle to see if any polish was left on the car.

Is this how it is supposed to behave and I just didn`t work it enough? Or should I purchase new swirl remover? I tried following the technique outlined in the videos, but my results were definitely lacking.

imported_Blake
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I have PB SSR`s that are at least 3 years old and still work. Must be as you suspect that your work time was too short????

Hope you went to the Street Rod Nats in your town this weekend. I just got back after a 10 hour drive and they were fantastic.

Big Leegr
08-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I`ve got some older stuff. Maybe it needed to be shaken more?

w0cyru01
08-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I`ll try it again maybe next time I wash. Maybe put some more pressure on the PC/work on technique.

Just hard in the sun on a silver car to see if what I`m doing is working or not. Maybe I`ll practice on the wife`s car since it`s blue.

nailzer
08-10-2009, 04:19 AM
If you have waxed the car you`re working on the slickness of the wax should be gone before trying to polish. The slick surface prevents the polish from working effectively.

cheapshot
08-10-2009, 05:26 AM
I have had great results with 2.5 orange pad with PC.

Make sure there is always product between the pad and the surface, before applying more pressure. Try working on a cool surface if you could, or at least out of the sun, This should give you a little longer work time. Use enough product to cover your polishing area. Work small sections.

I have had my last bottle about 4 years now. I used it the other day to clean under some door handles. There is not enough to do a whole car so I use it for small areas till it`s gone. :)

Hope this helps.

w0cyru01
08-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Did my wife`s jeep again...not the whole thing just a small 1x1 bit on the hood.

Results were much different, I worked in the garage this time (not great lighting though) used SSR 2.5 with orange pad followed with SSR1 with green pad. Could tell a difference when I pulled the tape between the part I did and the parts I didn`t do. Wasn`t perfect (still had blemishes) but I was pressed for time. I would probably do another pass with the SSR2.5 when I do the whole car, but at least this time I felt like I didn`t waste my time.

golfdude
08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Don`t be afraid of speed 6 on the pc as well, especially with the more aggressive step. Silvers on most cars, even non-ceramic clearcoated ones, are curiously resistant to correction with less-abrasive methods.