PDA

View Full Version : Removing odor if you can`t determine the source?

Pages : [1] 2

06bmw3
08-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi all-

I have a BMW 325i sedan with leather that I picked up used last summer which has had some odd odors inside all along. I`ve had the A/C system flushed out a couple of times which has helped, but the interior itself also has a certain smell to it which I`d really like to cure. Problem is, though it seems to be more noticeable in the back of the car, I really can`t identify what the heck it is, or find any specific source to go after. The car was bought from a BMW dealership and was very clean inside. The only thing that doesn`t seem to have ever been done is conditioning (and first cleaning?) the leather.

I`m sure I should clean and condition the leather this summer anyway, and if the problem was in the leather, I half wonder if doing that alone might solve the problem. If that`s not the problem, though, the conditioner will no doubt partially mask the odor making it harder to isolate later. I`ve thought about getting one of those interior foggers or having the dealer go at it with the ozone machine but I`m concerned about those possibly having other negative effects on the interior materials.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be appreciated.

Street5927
08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I am not quite sure about what could be causing an odor in leather, however, whenever I detail vehicle`s for clients who have animals, who have vomited in their vehicle`s or bled, I use Detail King`s Bio Enzyme Cleaner first to remove all odors and then I proceed with Folex and ZEP Cleaner.

Detail King`s Online Super Mall (http://www.goestores.com/storename/detailking/dept/72688/ItemDetail-9687401.aspx)

Strummer
08-09-2009, 07:12 PM
You might want to change the cabin air microfilter, the one in my 325is was pretty dirty and the smell was kind of a dusty odor, which went away with the filter change.

Mr.Concours
08-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Have you cleaned the headlining?under/bottom of the seats?

Aircon can sometimes smell horrible might be wise to put some kind of cleaner like Würth UK Ltd. - Additives - Air Conditioning Disinfectant Spray (http://www.wurth.co.uk/product-089376410.php) if its never been done.

jfelbab
08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Arm & Hammer baking soda is a great odor extractor. Sprinkle some on the carpeting, brush it in and vacuum it out. Leave an open box in the car under your rear seat for a couple days and see if it doesn`t absorb most odors.

Meghan P
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Arm & Hammer baking soda is a great odor extractor. Sprinkle some on the carpeting, brush it in and vacuum it out. Leave an open box in the car under your rear seat for a couple days and see if it doesn`t absorb most odors.

Thats might work, maybe something got spilled on the carpet, or you can try something like an order bomb. You say the smell comes from the back seat only, did you check in the trunk, mabye something to the back of the trunk spilled and the smell is leaking to the back seat area?!?

CocheseUGA
08-10-2009, 08:36 AM
You could always try an offshoot of a mechanic`s friend - the stethoscope.

Make yourself a DIY olfactometer. Perhaps with a surgical mask, no-scent tubing. Be dilligent and cover all of the car.

06bmw3
08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I may start with the baking soda since it`s pretty low-risk and low effort, then get more aggressive from there.

The cabin air filter was changed last year and it didn`t help, and it`s been sprayed with disinfectant by the dealer this year. The A/C system in general is another thorn in my side with this car. It smells fine when running but stinks when shut off for a few days until things really dry out in there. I had the dealer clean the system last summer when I got the car and again this summer, and it just continues to have the problem. :grrr That`s a distinctly different odor from the one that I smell in the interior otherwise, though, and I`m not sure quite what to do about that one either short of trading the car for one someone else hasn`t had a chance to screw up. [/venting]

Anyway, as for the source, my best guess is possibly the leather, but it`s definitely nothing more than a guess.

The fogger came up again. Which is less likely to have negative consequences on the interior of the car? The fogger or ozone machine? I`ve read plenty about the ozone machines being rough on some of the materials in the car, but I`ve found little info about the foggers to draw a comparison. Can anyone speak to that, or if one is a better starting point than the other for any reason?

Thanks!

noob86
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
FREE solution, they use this to remove dead body smell (not joking) it is super concentrated, it kills bacteria etc., it is meant for professionals and the best part, here is a link for a free sample that is extremely concentrated to where it makes 8 gallons out of 4oz

It is safe even on wool sweater (gentle, no discoloration etc.)

all that is on the label

FREE Sample of ODORCIDE (http://www.odorcide.com/index.php?p=form&form_id=3)

I dont work for them or anything, but used it and very satisfied

imported_Jakerooni
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
You have to find the source before you bother doing anything.. Take the back seat out and see if someone shoved something nice under there. If nothing then check under the carpeting. All odor has a source. The only way to eleminate that smell is to get rid of the source... It`s there. Just gotta find it.

H.E.D
08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
thanks noob86 just placed an order. as far as your problem remove the source then hit it with your choice of odor eliminator on all the fibers ie carpet and upholstery. sometimes the lingering smell gets trap in the fibers of carpet and such. keep us posted on the outcome.

David Fermani
08-12-2009, 12:52 AM
You have to find the source before you bother doing anything.. Take the back seat out and see if someone shoved something nice under there. If nothing then check under the carpeting. All odor has a source. The only way to eleminate that smell is to get rid of the source... It`s there. Just gotta find it.

That`s some pretty good advice right here from Jake. Odor bombs, baking soda, dryer sheets are just cleaning the air, not the source of the problem and will most likely just mask the smell temporarily. Remove as much trim like the rear seat bottom (which just snap in on these vehicles)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/dfermani/2000BMW-Red027.jpg

and all the horizontal trunk trim and look for anything that looks out of line. You might even need to get a spray bottle of water and lightly spray each section of the fabric to see if it reactivates a foul smell. Most likely an enzyme based product will be your best bet for killing the source of this odor. Once this is taken care of, I suggest deodorizing the ventilation system with a product like this:

1Z einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner (http://www.properautocare.com/1zklaircocl.html)

Make sure that after cleaning your car, that you extensively dry it out before sealing it back up. Good luck.

Quality Leather
08-12-2009, 05:22 AM
you might try ohogwash. I have used it and it seems to work pretty good.

Coming soon new site (http://www.ohogwash.com/)

jimmie jam
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
That`s some pretty good advice right here from Jake. Odor bombs, baking soda, dryer sheets are just cleaning the air, not the source of the problem and will most likely just mask the smell temporarily. Remove as much trim like the rear seat bottom (which just snap in on these vehicles)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/dfermani/2000BMW-Red027.jpg

and all the horizontal trunk trim and look for anything that looks out of line. You might even need to get a spray bottle of water and lightly spray each section of the fabric to see if it reactivates a foul smell. Most likely an enzyme based product will be your best bet for killing the source of this odor. Once this is taken care of, I suggest deodorizing the ventilation system with a product like this:

1Z einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner (http://www.properautocare.com/1zklaircocl.html)

Make sure that after cleaning your car, that you extensively dry it out before sealing it back up. Good luck.

i agree with David. make sure to clean ALL the hard surfaces of the interior, i have used an ozone machine in the past with marginal results.

noob86
08-12-2009, 07:27 AM
thanks noob86 just placed an order. as far as your problem remove the source then hit it with your choice of odor eliminator on all the fibers ie carpet and upholstery. sometimes the lingering smell gets trap in the fibers of carpet and such. keep us posted on the outcome.

you are welcome, just make sure that you dilute it properly, I did not, and it took a week to remove the strong smell from the garage (doesnt stink just concentrated):LOLOL