PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for clearcoat on bead blasted wheels?

VertigoGTI
08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Just got my G35 wheels stripped and bead blasted I didn`t like the silver/clear over black base, looked kind of plasticy to me and the silver/clear finish is weak. The top coat had some major scratches and etching due to some super concentrated wheel cleaner from the PO. Needless to say, I gladly picked them up for $100 and sunk $120 into the stripping/bead blasting.

They look perfect now and the texture on them is great. However, I`ve been trying to think of ways to clearcoat them. Duplicolor probably won`t stick to this too well since the grit work of the wheels may be too fine. Couple that with a lack of primer and I`m sure that stones will easily chip/crack a rattle can clearcoat.

Powdercoating isn`t an option either as these will be my track wheels. The shot peening on the spokes relieved the tensile stress, which is what I want. Anyone who knows anything about metallurgy will know that the heat of powedrcoat curing will remove all the benefits of of the peening and I want to avoid that.

I`ve heard about this product from POR-15 called Glisten PC and it sounds promising. It`s a two part clearcoat that can be sprayed on, but the wheels need a total of 4 days to cure. Not too bad, but I don`t have a paint pooth readily available.

Anyone know any other options? Pics for views...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/EnvisionVertigo/Parts/0807091051-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/EnvisionVertigo/Parts/0807091052-02.jpg

Accumulator
08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
There was a recent thread where somebody mentioned a (true) two-part epoxy paint that comes in rattlecans. I can`t remember the details but it`s supposedly a whole lot better than the usual clearcoat-for-wheels stuff. Maybe your search-fu can find it.

VertigoGTI
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Here`s a couple that I`ve seen, lemme know if any of these ring a bell...

SprayMax 2K Urethane Aerosol. (http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm)

Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer Two Part Spray (http://www.autogeek.net/wulasp.html)

Accumulator
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I *think* the SprayMax stuff is it. If it`s *not* it, you`re at least on the right track. That "process to activate" is the key that it`s the kind of stuff you`re after.

The Wurth paint is *NOT* what I was referring to (much as I generally like Wurth stuff, that`s not what I`d use).

VertigoGTI
08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Just sent US Chem an email about SprayMax to see if they`d recommend it on a bare bead-blasted surface. Hope it is; the price is well within my budget.

Accumulator
08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Just sent US Chem an email about SprayMax to see if they`d recommend it on a bare bead-blasted surface. Hope it is; the price is well within my budget.

Ah, so you`re gonna shoot it over *bare* metal huh? I missed that earlier..it`ll be interesting to hear what they say. I was thinking of using it over a basecoat.

VertigoGTI
08-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah, that`s the trick. Otherwise, I`d just prime and paint them at work because the cure time isn`t too bad. We don`t have a `true` paint booth because most of our what we paint are outdoor structural beams and they`re never glossy. So the owner never ponied up the cash for a real booth and curing area.

The cure time for Glisten PC is LONG. Wheels cannot be touched for 4 days and IR and heat do not speed up curing time. Too much dust would get on them at work.

US Chem didn`t think that it`d work well on a bead-blasted surface, so I think I`m just gonna give Glisten a shot.

Accumulator
08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
US Chem didn`t think that it`d work well on a bead-blasted surface, so I think I`m just gonna give Glisten a shot.

Better figure out a way to keep `em covered...stock up on plastic sheeting :D

VertigoGTI
08-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Hehehe, they`re in trash bags for the moment until I get the Glisten PC. I built a rack for my old GTi and S4 wheels when I painted them; really easy to hit the faces and inner barrels with it. Looks like I`ll be taking the rack to the painter to have him use it on these.

VertigoGTI
08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Glisten PC has been ordered and will be here in a few days. I`ll post pics when I`m done spraying them.

Accumulator
08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
..Looks like I`ll be taking the rack to the painter to have him use it on these.

Eh...riddle me this: if you`re taking them to a painter, why not have *him* get some conventional paint and put the responsibility all on him?

Heh heh, not that I think the Glisten PC is bad or anything, I`m just, uhm...stirring the pot ;)

VertigoGTI
08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Because he`s used it before and said that it`s actually some pretty good stuff. I`ve cleared machined wheels with automotive clearcoat and it`s just destined to split, chip or just flat out let go.

Accumulator
08-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Because he`s used it before and said that it`s actually some pretty good stuff...

OK, good answer :D

I`ve cleared machined wheels with automotive clearcoat and it`s just destined to split, chip or just flat out let go.

I`ve done OK on some bare metals with a product called Nylac (?sp?) but I wouldn`t use it on wheels. I bet you`re gonna be happy with the Glisten.