PDA

View Full Version : They do detailing now? Yikes.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

langod
08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I saw this today at my local Best Buy. I didn`t know whether to laugh or cry....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/forum%20pic%20links/geekdetail.jpg

Frankie T
08-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Wasn`t there someone on here posting the other day that he was an installer at a Best Buy and his managers were talking about starting to detail as well?

kirkofalltrades
08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
That`s just weird.

imported_Detailing Technology
08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/justindoria/fifty.gif

Furd
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
They wanted to charge me $100 to come out to my place to "install" my LCD TV.

I wonder how much they want to "detail" your car.

Kalon
08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
As an employee...I will say this..our geek squad when it comes to TV/computer/and car installs (to a degree) are good...but detailing?

NO SIR....that`s a fine line...

SoCalB6
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
WHAT????? No way...:shocked

I guess it was only a matter of time. So is Geek Squad doing the detailing? Next up is land scaping, lol.

JDORIA: :bow for that animation. hahaha

Flashtime
08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Maybe a "geek" can be good. They`re about "details" and procedures too.

It takes a geek to make all these fine products we use...

jessicah
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
From what I`ve heard, Best Buy`s Geek Squad is more about selling fancy cables and computer upgrades than actual expertise. This can go nowhere good.

Kean
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
I found this through a quick search (NO THANKS):

Our packages and prices are as follows:

Basic Interior: Car - $44.99, Suv/Truck - $54.99

Premium Interior: Car - $79.99, Suv/Truck - $89.99

Basic Exterior: Car - $34.99, Suv/Truck - $44.99

Premium Exterior: Car - $69.99, Suv/Truck - $79.99

Basic Complete: Car - $79.99, Suv/Truck - $99.99

Premium Complete: Car - $149.99, Suv/Truck - $169.99

Winter Mini-Detail: $19.99

Please stop in and inquire about our packages and additional services for the interior or exterior.

http://stores.bestbuy.com/278/files/2009/04/gs-detail-flyer-revised-for-site.jpg

http://stores.bestbuy.com/278/files/2009/04/gs-detail-flyer-2-revised.jpg

Less
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes - there was a thread on here a while back started by a stereo installer whose store is about to offer detailing as part of their services. In that particular thread, the store manager wanted to start the offering by investing only $600 in tools and supplies. So you can imagine that their service offering was not very extensive.

I doubt very much that what Best Buy does would be considered "detailing". All they are looking to do is squeeze an extra $65 out of every stereo installation they do. I`m not going to repeat everything from the older thread, but basically it seems that Best Buy`s target market here are the folks who get their car stereo installed and then say "Hey, I haven`t washed my car in a long time, and what`s another $65 on my Best Buy Card"

I`m guessing that 50% or more of what detailers do is pretty simple stuff and you could train anyone off of the street to do it within 2 hours or less. Now I`m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who details for a living. I do realize that there is another 50% of your work that does take some skill and training. However, I have to believe that Best Buy`s "core" of detailing services is made up of basic stuff that almost anyone could do.

Wash

Dry

Wax

Clean Wheels

Interior Vac

Interior Protectant

Wash Windows

There MIGHT be some stores that will do machine polishing. IF there are any such stores, I would guess that their offering is limited to a one step, filler heavy DA polishing that just makes the car look good until the next wash. Again, this is something that is pretty easy to learn, and pretty hard to screw up.

Kalon
08-06-2009, 02:17 PM
It seems well thought out. I will look into this and see how it goes over from a company and customer standpoint...that $150 for the premium detail...how is the price compared to how you pros do it?

Less
08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Wow, thanks for posting that Kean. Looks like what I expected. Everything they offer is basic service that almost anyone could do at a satisfactory level with about four seconds of training.

Everyone here needs to get out of the "Autopian" mode of thinking and realize that NOT everyone meticulously polishes every miniscule imperfection from their car`s paint. And not everyone lovingly caresses their car in a way that eliminates marring. The fact is that there is a HUGE market of people who just want a clean, shiny car.

I`m actually surprised that we haven`t seen this sooner. Now I know it`s a cliche, but it`s true. Successful business is all about location, LOCATION, LOCATION. I believe I know the store that langod (the OP) posted about. If I`m not mistaken it`s located in NH`s largest city at the junction of the two largest highways in NH; Interstate 93, and the F.E. Everette Turnpike. The store itself is in a very prominent shopping mall, the next closest of which is about 20 miles and at least 30 minutes away.

Needless to say, the place is full of people, all day, everyday. So you have a convenient location with a parking lot full of thousands of dirty cars. Who WOULDN`T start a car wash business there.

Kean
....personally, I would expect the same quality & experience from these geeks as I would any common car wash or dealer lot. In other words, I wouldn`t let them touch my car if they paid me. I doubt this will put the squeeze on any local professionals. ....if anything, it might bring them more business. ;)

jessicah
You couldn`t pay me $150 to let them detail my car.