PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a porter cable...I still have the receipt...

PBNJ
08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
do I take the car ride back?....

Is there anything better than porter cable? Ive been reading about the flex and other machines that are supposedly way better at removing swirls and scratches in less time. Short answer, give the PC back? or is it great. I got some serious scratches and swirls going on with my car.

RustyBumper
08-05-2009, 09:54 PM
If you`re just going to work on your car or maybe a few of your family and friends, then keep it. Many suggest that if you`re going to be running your own business, that you should get a Flex or rotary because the larger pads will help you finish cars quicker. However, I do know of several pro-detailers that use their PC exclusively.

In the end, it`s up to you and what your preferences are.

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
PorterCable is a great tool, and the PC 7424 is a great machine.

Don`t worry, you made a wise investment. I`ve had mine over 6 years now and it works like the day I bought it, and probably will for another 15 years.

I use it for many things, polishing paint, headlights, taillights, plastic peices, glass, everything... its safe and efficient polishing.

If you want to buy ANOTHER great tool, get a Rotary polisher and practice on a beater... you`ll fall in love with that one too :)

Curious, what did you get WITH the PC?

PBNJ
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
nothing I could only find 2 of them....it wasnt even in my town. It was just a plain jane 7424. Guys I have really big issues with my car, is the PC gonna be enough or should I just go with the Flex or Makita...again im new but I can practice on other cars before mine.

RustyBumper
08-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Start out with the PC and if that`s not getting the job done for you then sell it and get a Flex. There`s no reason that it shouldn`t be able to accomplish whatever it is you`re trying to do. One thing to keep in mind is to always start off with the least aggresive products first. If those aren`t working then go up to your next most aggressive pad or polish or maybe even both.

I just worked on a friends truck and started out with a white pad and 105 combo. It turned out that that particular combo worked out perfectly for me. After I did my IPA wipedown, I discovered that the hood had finished out perfectly and was LSP ready. Of course having the luck that I do, I`ll never be able to repeat that again. lol

BigAl3
08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
keep it, you can have it as a backup (you can buy carpet brush attachments too) as well. you can also share and teach someone who has never had any experience machine polishing...

ReplayMan
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
PC`s are great for beginners too. It`s hard very hard to do much damage. A great first device to learn on.

Darkstar752
08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
1. What kind of car is it?

2. Are you just gonna do a couple cars, or want to do this on the side as a buisness?

Ok, as long as you don`t have a Mercedes with the CCC, Corvette, or some other ridiculously hard paint, you`ll be fine. Buy some Meguiar`s 105 and 205 polishes if you are keeping it, you should be able to get your paint to 100%

Kean
08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
....if you don`t mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 7424? There is a more stout version now available that has been selling for a consistently cheaper price (since its release) than the vanilla 7424 it replaced. The newer machine was renamed the 7424XP and includes ergonomic changes, a more powerful motor, etc. My point is, if you spent anywhere near the price that you can get for one of these newer XP`s then I would consider returning the "plain jane" version and ordering the new one. ....btw, the XP can be had for $119 or less. With the right pad and product choices, its a capable machine.

Dan
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Keep the PC. It will do wonders with minimal chances for damage. In reality, I think a rotary is 2-3 times faster in most cases (you still spend the same amount of time wiping, cleaning pads, etc). Once you get bored of that, keep an eye out for the $20 HF rotary, its not bad for a weekend warrior.

Atlantic Euro
08-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Keep the PC - can`t beat it for the combo of ease of use and results. I have the Flex and the PC, and they are very different machines.

I really think rotaries are best left to pros or really meticulous and experienced weekenders (and I own a company that makes a detail system)