PDA

View Full Version : What to get along with my 7424XP?

CocheseUGA
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I`ll be getting one pretty soon to eliminate the swirls and paint chips on my NBP Acura TL.

But I`m not sure what pads to get. I know I want to stick with pads made by the same company so I don`t get totally confused. And I think I want flat.

Thoughts? Also, any other combo I should get than M105/205?

Kean
08-06-2009, 09:45 AM
....do a search on pad choices and you will typically find recommendations that you should stick with =<5.5" dia. Personally, I like the Lake Country pads. ....CCS or flat is a personal choice. Some believe the CCS is just a gimmick. I`m currently using them myself but you can`t go wrong with their generic flat pads. As for polish choices, I think you`ve got it. While I still haven`t tried them myself (still using Optimum currently), many agree that they are good, versatile products. I would just make sure to read up on the application of these two so you can pick up on some tips/tricks that will help make your experience a successful one.

CocheseUGA
08-06-2009, 11:04 AM
How do you like the Optimum products? I was rethinking my choice of 105, as it seems a bit severe for my needs.

Thanks.

Kean
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
How do you like the Optimum products? I was rethinking my choice of 105, as it seems a bit severe for my needs.

Thanks. ....I have used the original Opt Polish and recently the newer Opt Polish 2 (OP2) and I really like it. I also purchased Opt Finish but didn`t get a chance to try it out. OP2 has the right amount of abrasiveness for my needs and finishes well by itself. I especially like the fact that it doesn`t dust like many other polishes, has a long working time and is easy to use. However, I wouldn`t compare it to something like M105 (OP2 is more similar to M205). The closest offering from Optimum to M105 I believe would be their Compound 2 or harsher yet, their Hyper Compound. While both are not as aggressive as M105 (as I understand), they still share the same traits as the Polish 2 and Finish (low dust, long working time).

I`m a DIY`er myself so my experience with polishes is limited. ....after initial correction, I simply don’t have to deal with heavy blemishes. With simple changes in pad choice, my Opt Polish 2 provides enough corrective ability to take care of my own vehicles as well as the occasional side job for family/friends (who usually maintain their cars fairly well). .....if I ever find myself in need of a harsher alternative (for problem spots/jobs), I will usually just grab one of my bottles of 3M products from my cabinet (i.e. Perfect-It II Compound, etc.).

GoCubsGo
08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I`ve found that a range of 5.5" pads and 4" pads work great to cover 95% of my needs (I prefer flat pads over CCS, but use both).

As for which polishes, "search" is your best friend on that one.

Additonal "good to know" note:

Grab an extension cord that is at least the same gauge as the power cable from the PC. If you use an extension cord of a lesser gauge you`ll prematurely wear out the PC motor, not overnight, but in time.

CocheseUGA
09-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Revisiting this, because I jumped on the UDM deal here at Autopia.

I think I`ve settled on a 5.5" LC CCS assortment, but I`m still taking recommendations on which pads. I had thought about getting two orange, two white, one black and one red, or thereabouts. As a beginner, I don`t need a wool pad, do I?

And I`m still looking at polishes. I just don`t want to get something and feel like I wasted money. Buying the sample sizes of 105/205 don`t seem very cost effective to me, expecially looking at $10 to ship 24oz.

I was looking at a chart listed by craigdt (Abrasives Chart (http://craigdt.web.officelive.com/abrasives.aspx)), and right now I have DG105 and PoliSeal. Could I get some Hyper Compound or Compound II and finish with PS? Step up to something like 105 if I find it`s not correcting enough?

If someone could answer that question, I think I can finally place an order and go to town next weekend.

JLui83
09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound with the 7424XP on an Orange pad... should do wonders!

This is what I`m going to use!

CocheseUGA
09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Well, I bit on some Compound II to try out at first. Figure I can always step up to something more aggressive if it`s dictated.

So I`ve now got:

7424XP

2 Orange, 2 white, 1 grey, 1 red LC CCS 5.5" pads

OPT Compound II and Poliseal

I`m going to try that combo first, and see where it gets me. My in-laws might let me test on their vehicle first, although I do have some scratches that I could try on the CR-V.