PDA

View Full Version : Dealer messed up my paint, I need advice guys!

89gt-stanger
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Well I bought a 2009 Ford F150 Lariat in June. Its black/black leather, and has about $11k in aftermarket parts.

Anyways, I bring the truck in to the dealer to get the brakes checked out. They are making very loud squeaks right before the vehicle stops, when the brakes are cold, and when they are wet. The dealer verified the problem and had to have it for a couple of days to fix it.

Problem: I come to pick the truck up, and they half way washed it. When I mean half way, I mean half the tonneau cover was washed, the roof wasn`t washed, they missed a few spots on the body, and the wheels were half done also. Why would they try to wash it if it went in for brake service?

Damage: They put two chips in the front fenders, and the vehicle is now covered in swirls. It is really bad on the A-pillars. There are so many rids on the front fenders it is unbelievable. They really made it look terrible. This is just a week after I had fully polished the paint to Autopian standards. I spent around 11 hours on it. Now, it is worse than it looked before.

How do I go about confronting the dealer? Is there any way I can get reimbursement? What do I do here guys? I am so upset over this right now. I dont have a really good camera, but I will try and get pics up tonight.

EDIT: There hourly rate for non-warranty repairs is 109.95. Should I charge them this for the damage? :p

Thanks for the advice,

Dylan

Dan
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
To make a good case against them, you need to act fast otherwise they are going to blame you. Did you already pick it up?

I would try to get them to admit their guilt somehow on paper, IE offering to have them "detail" it for you. Obviously you don`t want their hack touching it again, but the offer, if written gives you some great ammo.

sittinsideways
08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
unless you have some way to prove that it can in perfect such as pictures then your most likley going to be s*** outta luck. the chips they would just put touch up paint on.

Kean
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
....this is why I do all of my own service/repair work on my vehicles. In the rare case that I have to take my car to the dealer, I always have the service writer state on the paperwork "NO WASH". I make a big enough deal about it so they will pay attention.

You`re likely better off chalking this one up as a learning experience and taking care of the problem yourself. If they try to fix the scratches for you, I`ll wager they will just give it to the same Neanderthals that messed it up in the first place. .....it wouldn`t hurt to voice your opinion and complain to them though.

sejodiren
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I drive a black `99 SVT Lightning. It`s paint looks as good as most new vehicles. I made 3 signs on my printer and laminated them. They read....."If you want my business, you will NOT wash this vehicle. Don`t even ask me why!!!" I tape one to the inside of each window and one to the steering wheel. So whoever happens to get behind the wheel will get the idea. Works like a charm!

Bigpoppa3346
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I drive a black `99 SVT Lightning. It`s paint looks as good as most new vehicles. I made 3 signs on my printer and laminated them. They read....."If you want my business, you will NOT wash this vehicle. Don`t even ask me why!!!" I tape one to the inside of each window and one to the steering wheel. So whoever happens to get behind the wheel will get the idea. Works like a charm!

LOL.

On our cars, we tell the service manager not to wash it, and put a big "DO NOT WASH/NO LAVE ESTE COCHE" sign on the dash.

Has worked well so far.

Accumulator
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
89gt-stanger- At this point I`d call the service manager and tell him a) what happened, and b) that you need to set up a meeting with him and the owner of the dealership to resolve the issue.

Taking them to court would probably be fuitless, but getting an attorney involved might still be helpful if they try to blow you off.