PDA

View Full Version : spit shine clarification

roadmaster_Tx
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey guys,

I have been reading up on the spit shining method we have here on autopia and it seems that there are multiple ways of doing it, but there is one "true way". So I wanted to ask the veterans to see which way is the best

1) mist chilled water on panel, apply wax, wait until it hazes, remove with Mf. Repeat the process again to add another coat

or

2)mist chilled water on panel, apply wax, wait till it hazes, mist more chilled water, apply wax, wait till it hazes, remove with mf towel(thus giving it 2 coats)

Which way is the right way guys

Thanks

Accumulator
08-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Hey guys,

I have been reading up on the spit shining method we have here on autopia and it seems that there are multiple ways of doing it, but there is one "true way". So I wanted to ask the veterans to see which way is the best

I`d search on user-name Nick T and see if his old thread on the subject is still archived.

1) mist chilled water on panel, apply wax, wait until it hazes, remove with Mf. Repeat the process again to add another coat

That`s one version that will work.

or

2)mist chilled water on panel, apply wax, wait till it hazes, mist more chilled water, apply wax, wait till it hazes, remove with mf towel(thus giving it 2 coats)

No, that` will just make a thicker residue to buff off with no additional wax actually being deposited on the paint. The excess wax that`s the "haze" all gets buffed off and anything on top of it gets buffed off too.

roadmaster_Tx
08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks,

Is there a certain amount of time I should wait before adding more coats, or can I add say 3 coats in a session?

Accumulator
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks,

Is there a certain amount of time I should wait before adding more coats, or can I add say 3 coats in a session?

Opinions vary and *IMO* it depends on the wax. You`ll just have to try it and see, but watch that you don`t end up "seeing what you want to see" in the sense that you mistake a lot of oils/carrier agents for a true increase in the actual wax.

If it still looks better after a few days, then it worked. Otherwise you just had a lot of oils.