PDA

View Full Version : Bought a cheapo random orbital

Pages : [1] 2

srt4tocobra
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
OKay so yesterday I was bored and went to Wal-Mart and bought an el-cheapo random orbital buffer. I thought what the heck it is $20 I will give it a try. I have never used any type of buffing machine so I tried it out on my 1994 Dakota after washed-clayed-washed. I just did one side of the hood to see how big of a difference it made. I used Megs Ultimate compound on the wool pad. I was going to try it on my 2004 Mystic Cobra but I wanted to make sure that I was going everything correctly. I have some water spots that I could not get out with hand polishing on my cobra`s trunk and roof. I used Meg`s Ultimate, Megs swirl remover, and then waxed it with Meg`s cleaner wax, I clay barred the whole car before doing any of that. I know I would get better results with a PC but I cannot afford one right now. My questions are this:

After applying the polish on with the wool bonnet do I need to use anything on the polishing bonnet or do I use it dry?

What brand of bonnets should I use?

Is Meg`s Ultimate okay to use on a machine or should I look into getting a different product?

Thanks for the help guys.

srt4tocobra
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Anyone? I want to buy my products today so I can finish the car by the weekend.

craigdt
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Before you think about removing swirls with that machine at Walmart, let me squelch that right now. Those do not generate enough speed and heat to effectively remove significant defects. If they did, no one would have a PC or rotary.

Dont buy any additional bonnets for it.

If you really want to polish you vehicle (and not just apply some shiny product) its going to take much more than that machine. Safe yourself the frustration and save for a PC. Once you take the buffer back, you will have $20 for the PC fund. They come very cheaply these days.

Yes, UC is fine to use with a machine.

imported_Jakerooni
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Put it on CL for sale and go buy something that can actually do more than just put wax on a car.

corrswitch
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I`m in a similar boat not having the money to buy a PC.

Not sure what machine it is but based on how you described it, I don`t think it would work that well and you might get similar or even better results by hand.

Save the money until you can get a PC and stick to using products by hand until then.

If you`re like me and have no garage, however, I got a cordless polisher knowing full well the limitations and setting my expectations very low at what it can do. I use it for applying wax.

I looked into using a generator or power inverters but decided it was too risk and balky...however for you, it is something to consider.

I know its not Autopian, but I would use a glaze until I have the money.

=============

After applying the polish on with the wool bonnet do I need to use anything on the polishing bonnet or do I use it dry?

For my polisher, I use detailer spray to mist the pad slightly.

Nothing to recommend except to use the exact bonnets from the manufacturer.

Is Meg`s Ultimate okay to use on a machine or should I look into getting a different product?

Don`t have access to Ultimate but as mentioned above, I`ll just use a glaze or a cleaner wax until a get the right machine. I did use Poli-seal and it worked Ok.

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
..After applying the polish on with the wool bonnet do I need to use anything on the polishing bonnet or do I use it dry?

Ford clear isn`t all that hard. I wouldn`t use the wool bonnets on it, but rather some *foam* pads.

You never use *anything* dry. Use the pads/etc. to apply the product and polishes/compounds are buffed off while still wet anyhow. Generally speaking, the product does the work, the pad/bonnet is merely a mechanism to apply the product.

Beats me, dunno what size it takes or how they mount :confused: Maybe Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) has something.

But I`d quit thinking in terms of "bonnets" and start thinking in terms of "pads".

Yeah, it oughta work by hand *or* machine. Hey, it worked on the Dakota, right? Just remember about the Ford paint being soft(er) and don`t skip the follow up with a milder product.

BigAl3
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
if you can, return it and get a PC. it`s well worth the investment...

Legacy
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Search CL, you can probably find one for $80 or less.

ride92
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I have one of those too and never expected to get paint correction from it. I use it just for puting wax on and off my daily driver. It`s way easyier and faster then by hand

white ghost
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
where are you located original poster? any where near cartersville,ga? i have a terrible soft spot in my heart for mystics. if you are close enough, i will fix those problems for free so you dont butcher your paint with that devil device!

srt4tocobra
08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
where are you located original poster? any where near cartersville,ga? i have a terrible soft spot in my heart for mystics. if you are close enough, i will fix those problems for free so you dont butcher your paint with that devil device!

No man I am located in Northeastern Indiana, so no where near close to you. I have used it so far for just apply some Meg Ultimate, didn`t push hard or anything the water spots are still there but less noticeable. I just going to use it to apply wax from now on to my daily i don`t want to screw it up. Can someone recommend me a good PC or random that comes complete as a kit, as in with pads that I can use on the softer Ford paint? I had some extra money hidden away for some performance parts but I think I might just buy a PC or Random Orbital that will do the job. I am just really worried about burning through the paint with a PC, I am new to this and I have read some stuff but just getting the hang of all of the different products for each different use is kind of confusing. So, if anyone wants to be kind and give me a link to a good starter kit that I can use with the Megs Ultimate, Scratch X, and cleaner wax I would really appreciate it.

srt4tocobra
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
No I am located in Northeastern Indiana. I will not use it on my Cobra but I am going to keep it to apply wax on my daily. Can someone give me a recommendation for a PC or a random orbital that I can use with good results that will come with everything (pads or bonnets) to use with my Megs ultimate, scratch x, and cleaner wax? Drop a link for it on here if you would. I have some money saved up for some performance parts but I will use it for this instead. I am just somewhat worried about burning through the paint on my Mystic. Thanks for all of the replies.

RTexasF
08-05-2009, 04:27 PM
In short you bought a machine that is capable of spreading or removing wax......and that`s it (and it doesn`t even do that very well). You will need to search the forums, including this one, and read, read, read, to find what you need. Plan on spending more than you thought you would. You will find that the correct machine, accessories, chemicals, microfiber towels, and odds & ends are not cheap. Educate yourself, then decide if you want to take the plunge.

white ghost
08-05-2009, 07:57 PM
No I am located in Northeastern Indiana. I will not use it on my Cobra but I am going to keep it to apply wax on my daily. Can someone give me a recommendation for a PC or a random orbital that I can use with good results that will come with everything (pads or bonnets) to use with my Megs ultimate, scratch x, and cleaner wax? Drop a link for it on here if you would. I have some money saved up for some performance parts but I will use it for this instead. I am just somewhat worried about burning through the paint on my Mystic. Thanks for all of the replies.

IMO i would just post up on here and find a reputable member that im sure if you drove to them. and if you are just wanting the top panels cleaned/polished that you could probably get it done without any guess work for 100$ or less including gas. that would be the most financially sound i would think. then you could have your cake and and eat it too, figuratively speaking

srt4tocobra
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Well I want to learn how to clean the vehicle myself I just want to be as careful as possible. Mystic paint is not cheap lol. I guess I will do some research then. I just didn`t know if there was a complete setup for a PC or random.