PDA

View Full Version : Need Engine Cleaner Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

dschribs
08-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I`m looking for something to clean and maintain my engine. This is basically a cruise night/show car so the engine never gets very dirty but inevitably, some oil and grease and fluids always seem to find their way to the engine block, power steering pump, intake manifold, fender wells etc etc. I`m looking for something to clean the metal (painted) parts of the engine. On the chrome I`ve been using VM and the hoses always 303 and those products work fine.

I was thinking of using diluted Purple Power. Will that work? If so, at what ratio. Is that too strong even diluted? How about Meg`s APC? Is that effective on light grease and engine fluids? Again, at what ratio? I`d basically be spraying whatever is recommended on a MF and wiping the engine parts down. It wouldn`t at all be a full fledged spray the engine and hose it off clean up job that`s for sure...

Any other suggestions of products would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/dschribs/September%202005/Engine.jpg

AeroCleanse
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Meguairs Super Degreaser

imported_Blake
08-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Unless the engine is really bad I like Surf City Grime Destroyer. It sticks to the areas being cleaned and does need minor agitation but most crud comes off easily. It is safer than many "degreasers".

unclejud49348
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I used Purple Power at full strength last weekend when I detailed my engine and it worked great.

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
For little cleanups in a not-too-crowded engine compartment like that I`d probably just wipe the [mess] up with a solventy rag.

I dunno...I hardly *ever* do a big cleanup with degreasers/etc. after the first time on a used vehicle. A few minutes during each wash always keeps things OK once they`re really nice to begin with.

KnuckleBuckett
08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
P21S Total Auto Wash

Maknmony
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
This has always worked well for me. First you will need a BIG BLOCK!! next any cleaner degreaser works well. I usually dilute it 50/50. Now if you would please show us the rest of the car.

Thanks,

Sellncars

dschribs
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I guess most any diluted degreaser/APC would work.

Sellncars:

That same engine (well, the block anyway) has been with the car since April 1968...it aint comin` out now!

gofastman
08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
PPC Belly Wash 10:1 to 4:1 depending on how dirty it gets. Belly Wash (http://www.ppcbest.com/belly_wash.htm)

Its the same thing as Engine Wash just in a diffrent bottle.

One of the best hand cleaners I have used too.

wfedwar
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I`d use something mild, like 303 cleaner (~5:1) along with a good brush like the EZ detail. I`ve also used laundry detergent on engines with good luck (use something not scented though...).

imported_Jakerooni
08-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I honestly would only use a mild citrus based natural cleaner on that. There`s no need for purple power, Megs, 303 or any other solvent based harsh cleaners. Those are meant for real grime and crud. Something that engine most obviously does not have. You need something mild and natural as to not spot the chrome or the paint in there. I would think a damp MF towel with some Citrus based dawn on it would be more than enough to do the job on that one. In this case more is definatly NOT better. you don`t need the harshness all those chemicals will cause.

imported_RZJZA80
08-04-2009, 07:46 PM
For those of you that clean engines, what do you do about an engine that you would rather not spray down with a hose? Same exact method as mentioned already?

Maknmony
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I guess most any diluted degreaser/APC would work.

Sellncars:

That same engine (well, the block anyway) has been with the car since April 1968...it aint comin` out now!

I`m with you on that one. Have any pictures of the rest of the car, looks real nice and clean

DM101
08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Purple power will work. Dilute it down to 1 to 1 ... Make sure none gets on waxed surfaces. If it does, you wax is gone you`ll have to re-wax

Accumulator
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
For those of you that clean engines, what do you do about an engine that you would rather not spray down with a hose? Same exact method as mentioned already?

I usually use a solvent that flashes off cleanly, not requiring rinsing. Wurth CleanSolve, ValuGard`s New Car Prep, something like that. I just wipe with the solvent and nothing gets really wet.

You can also often use a steamer without getting nearly as much moisture as you`d think.