PDA

View Full Version : Color sanding enamel paint on a saab 9000

DREWZAIRFLOWSE
08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I have done many color sand jobs on clear coat cars but never any on a enamel car. I would think its the same idea behind it just taking color down right? I am looking to color sand my red enamel saab 9000 aero. I want it to shine like my clear coat cars do. Any tips for me for color sanding? Is this even the best idea for obtaining my goal of a show car shine? I used to detail cars and have a full detail inventory in my garage. I was going to color sand, buff and then wax.

TIA

Drew

jDizzle
08-04-2009, 09:17 AM
i would try just buffing before i went in to sanding anything unless u have a ton of orange peel or something.. just buffing with something like 3m ultrafina doesnt do much correction, but it does bring out that shine that i havnt found anything else can achive. whats the paints condition like?

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
DREWZAIRFLOWSE- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d think twice about this. Some ss enamels do *NOT* respond well to wetsanding; once you cut the upper build-film they just never come back. I don`t know if it`s still archived, but a long time ago a member named guitarman posted some good info about this.

I`ve ruined ss enamels by being too aggressive with abrasives and I`d hate for you to mess up your Saab. Note that many ss paints simply look different from basecoat/clearcoat paints anyhow and there`s nothing you can do about that.