PDA

View Full Version : KSG not beading well on hood & roof

xxplosive
08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey all! I finally mastered applying KSG and put on about 4 layers over the course of a couple of days last month. Its been working pretty well except for the hood and roof. Water seems to bead great on the sides of the car, but when it comes to the roof, hood and tailgate the beading is not nearly as effective. I`ve tried applying an extra layer but still no improvement. Also, it seems like the sealant`s slickness has diminished to the point where the paint sqeaks when I run my finger across it after washes. Needless to say its made drying more of an ordeal. I can tell the sealant is on there though since water still beads.

I`m planning on topping it off with some FK1000p when it comes in on Friday, but I`m just curious as to why this is happening. I`ve been applying it very thin and buffing it off after 15 or 20 min (any longer than that residue becomes extremely difficult to remove on black paint).

PS. What is your technique for applying? I`ve been using a yellow foam applicator pad that I hit with a couple of sprays of diluted ONR. Once it`s moist I hold the applicator against the bottle opening and shake it a couple of times. Once the SG is on there I rub it in to the applicator to even it out and then start applying. It`s time consuming when you are trying to do the whole car in a hot Florida garage, but its the only effective way I`ve found to apply it thin. Anyway, if there is a way to make the process easier I`m all ears.

tl;dr KSG isnt beading well on my hood, roof and tailgate but beads perfectly on the sides. What gives?

:help:

Cleaning Fool
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
When is the last time u washed the car?

AuAltima3.5
08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Pics of beading? How did you prep the surface for KSG?

KSG makes very large beads on my horz surfaces. It really isn`t impressive, but it is still there. The sides have some awesome beading action - tight little beads.

xxplosive
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
When is the last time u washed the car?

Yesterday. I usually wash it about once a week.

Pics of beading? How did you prep the surface for KSG?

I dont have any pics, but the difference in beading is fairly significant. Water is just not in as much of a hurry to sheet off the paint. The beading was great after the first wash post-application but its become steadily worse since then. It seems to correspond with the decrease in slickness.

I prepped the car with KAIO before applying KSG.

imported_gusbubba
08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Did you clay and level the surface?

The finish is only as good as the prep.

xxplosive
08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Did you clay and level the surface?

The finish is only as good as the prep.

The car had been clayed and polished about a month earlier.

GS4_Fiend
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Interesting. I preped the car after polishing. Applied 4 layers. Still beading well everywhere. Just the roof is not beading that tight.

imported_RZJZA80
08-03-2009, 11:27 PM
3 months on only 1 layer of KSG and still beads like crazy, and dirt doesn`t stick to the paint either.

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey all! I finally mastered applying KSG and put on about 4 layers over the course of a couple of days last month. Its been working pretty well except for the hood and roof...

In some situations the horizontal surfaces and the tailgate take such a beating from the environmental factors that the LSP on those panels fails first....just a "YMMV" sort of thing. Since it`s OK on the rest of the car, that might be the case here.

My experience is different, the roof is usually the last panel to need redone. But I`m not in FLA either and I bet the heat makes a difference.

I`ve tried applying an extra layer but still no improvement

Huh, it oughta be "just LSPed". I recently refreshed my *VERY* old KSG with a spritz of Sonus Acrylic Glanz and you`d swear I`d just done a full re-do.

I *do* find that six layers works a lot better for me than four, wonder if it`d be the same way for you.

I can tell the sealant is on there though since water still beads.

Hm...I can still feel the KSG on there after it quits beading and starts to sheet.

I`ve been applying it very thin and buffing it off after 15 or 20 min (any longer than that residue becomes extremely difficult to remove on black paint).

That`s different from my experiences too! I usually let it set up overnight as it gets *easier* to buff off with time (I`ve waited as long as several days). Sounds like maybe you`re putting it on too thick, but even goofy-thick applications come off easily for me after enough time has passed.

PS. What is your technique for applying? I`ve been using a yellow foam applicator pad that I hit with a couple of sprays of diluted ONR.

I don`t use anything on the applicator except the KSG, which I put on the applicator about the same way you do it. I can`t help but think that the ONR isn`t helping. But hey, things are OK on the sides.

I think you just need more KSG on the surfaces that take a greater beating.

Poordude
08-04-2009, 02:32 PM
KSG is an acrylic. They flash cure instantly. There is no curing time needed as it does what it does virtually instantly.

We use acrylic formulations in all our newer floor care products(last 10 years) They cure instantly & offer superior durability.

xxplosive
08-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I don`t use anything on the applicator except the KSG, which I put on the applicator about the same way you do it. I can`t help but think that the ONR isn`t helping. But hey, things are OK on the sides.

I think you just need more KSG on the surfaces that take a greater beating.

The ONR could be affecting it, but how else can I get the applicator to glide across the paint? Even if I compensated for it with more KSG the pad isn`t going to glide very well considering the paint hardly has any slickness right now. I`ll try putting on another coat tonight without the ONR and see what happens.

That`s different from my experiences too! I usually let it set up overnight as it gets *easier* to buff off with time (I`ve waited as long as several days). Sounds like maybe you`re putting it on too thick, but even goofy-thick applications come off easily for me after enough time has passed.

When I initially experimented with KSG application I tried leaving it on overnight per the advice of some Autopians. However when I went to buff it off the next day it left a really thin residue that would not come off no matter what I threw at it. In the sun it made a freshly polished car look like it was covered in holograms. Eventually I had to KAIO and start over.

Perhaps my paint just doesn`t like sealant (this is the third sealant I`ve gone through in the past couple of months). I`m hoping fk1000p will do the trick.

GS4_Fiend
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Why didn`t you put QD on it? It should do the trick with wonders. Works for me everytime.

Unless you put like a bunch of KSG then that`s a whole different story.

Accumulator
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
The ONR could be affecting it, but how else can I get the applicator to glide across the paint? Even if I compensated for it with more KSG the pad isn`t going to glide very well considering the paint hardly has any slickness right now. I`ll try putting on another coat tonight without the ONR and see what happens...

Hm..I never have any problem with the applicator not wanting to glide. I use just enough KSG to lube the applicator and it slides right across the paint and that`s hardly any (can`t see it on the paint).

I`m assuming that the paint is clean/polished and has KAIO on it, which leaves things pretty slick.

When I initially experimented with KSG application I tried leaving it on overnight per the advice of some Autopians. However when I went to buff it off the next day it left a really thin residue that would not come off no matter what I threw at it. In the sun it made a freshly polished car look like it was covered in holograms. Eventually I had to KAIO and start over.

Huh, I don`t have a good explanation as that`s just never happened to me :nixweiss

Perhaps my paint just doesn`t like sealant (this is the third sealant I`ve gone through in the past couple of months). I`m hoping fk1000p will do the trick.

See how the FK1000P goes. DIfferent sealants are, well....different.

mongo
08-05-2009, 10:14 AM
KSG is a really good product for sure.

Scottwax
08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
What year is your car? I find that older cars tend to not bead as well regardless of what LSP you use.

When my Accord got hit in the front and repainted, the new paint beaded a lot better/tighter than the rest of the car even though I always used the same LSP on the whole car.