PDA

View Full Version : Black car and new PC... gonna need some help

DeanMachine
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I was practicing on my wife`s car yesterday and this is what I ended up with. It`s a 2003 New Beetle. I washed with ONR and clayed with ONR QD as lube. I used Uber (all 5.5" pads) orange pad with M105 for the first step. Uber green with M205 on the second step and Uber blue with Klasse AIO as the last step. I went 2 passes on the 105 and 205 and IPA wiped between steps. No need to wax just yet as I need to figure out how to get those halograms out. Not sure what I`m doing wrong.

BEFORE:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z51/BithellWagon/ErinDanielWedding579.jpg

AFTER:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z51/BithellWagon/ErinDanielWedding583.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z51/BithellWagon/ErinDanielWedding588.jpg

Also, I think my Viking MF are giving me trouble putting new swirls in the paint. I machine wash in non scented detergent in warm water by them selves and air dry. They have never hit the ground and they are fairly new. :grrr

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
DeanMachine- In some cases the M105 can leave some really severe micromarring, requiring a follow up with the M205 on a fairly aggressive pad (even an orange light-cut), followed by M205 again on a milder pad.

Also, the M205 can leave lots of oils on/in the paint and one or two IPA wipes won`t always remove them, nor will the cleaners in AIO.

So...figure out whether the problem is from the M105 or the M205 first. IF they`re from the M205 you should be able to disrupt them by rubbing fairly hard with your finger, enough that you can see a visible change (watch you don`t mar the paint if you try this).

SuperBee364 uses a glaze to pull the M205 oils out. He applies RMG, it apparently soaks up the oils, and he then wipes the oil-laden RMG off using the IPA.

Scottwax finds that the heat of the sun helps dissipate the oils.

I just do multiple IPA wipes.

I`d CD-test those MFs (and anything else that touches the paint).

DeanMachine
08-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Accumulator! I will try multiple IPA passes and will do some CD tests on my MF towels.

Also will try the multiple 205 pass with stepped pads.

Thanks for the tips!!!

:2thumbs:

So just to clarify, those "streaks" in the AFTERs light are halograms , right?

Accumulator
08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
So just to clarify, those "streaks" in the AFTERs light are halograms , right?

Well, probably not really, though I can`t say for *certain* based on the pics.

Real holograms are caused by rotary polishers. There are what I call "pseudo-holograms" that you can get from other types of polishing; these can be either micromarring (fine scratches, pretty much the same thing as *real* holograms) or residue from polishing oils that`s stuck in/on the paint.

When it`s just the oils, the problem can still be a huge PIA as sometimes it seems almost impossible to get the paint free of such stuff. This can drive me nuts, some paints are *REALLY* bad about it and so are some products (including, unfortunately, M205 in some cases).

DeanMachine
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Right on , thanks Accumulator!