PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pad recommendation for a newb..

g33tar
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey guys. Im new to the detailing stuff and recently picked up Meguiars 105 and have been using the pads that came with my Harbor Freight rotary. It came with a wool one and a foam one thats reasonably coarse. Pretty large pores for foam...Anyway....I tried the wool followed by the foam on my black car with the 105 and it took away a lot, if not all, of the defects...BUT...it left me with some lovely buffer holograms.

Im planning on picking up a sampler size of Meguiars 205 to finish the car up with, but I feel like the foam pad im using from Harbor Freight is the real problem.

I was hoping you guys could recommend a good pad for me to use with 205 to remove medium/light holograms and leave me with a good enough finish that I can throw some wax over.

The meguiars forum recommended I pick up one if their black finishing pads, but I wanted to ask a forum that doesnt have a bias toward one company or another. Im guessing the black is the least abrasive pad they make...just want to triple make sure that the pad will do what im trying to do before i spend the money.

Im only looking to spend around 10 bucks on a pad. Thanks guys.

-Alex

Accumulator
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
g33tar- I dunno if you`ll be able to finish out hologram-free via rotary no matter what pad you use with the M205.

You may very well at least need to multi-step it, using M205 with a polishing pad first and then again with a finishing pad.

But hey...you have to be mighty good with a rotary to finish out hologram-free and a lot of good rotary-Meisters don`t think M205 is the best/easiest product for that.

g33tar
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Dangit. This `dipping my toe into detailing` thing ive decided to do is going to get expensive, I feel.

So youre saying that im going to need a random orbital to finish without buffer holograms?

Accumulator
08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
..So youre saying that im going to need a random orbital to finish without buffer holograms?

Well, *I* need to finish out with an orbital, and I`m sure not a total klutz with my rotaries. Others finish out fine via rotaries, but that`s them and not me (and maybe not you either).

mikemurphy234
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Where are you located g33tar? I might be able to help you out.

g33tar
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Alrite i guess ill just try to perfect the rotary :) Im located in Rhode Island.

Thanks for the help guys. Its appreciated.

MarioMaserati
08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Even with years of experience with a rotary some paints lend themselves to holograms/trailers.

I hate reaching for my DA but sometimes it`s just easier to finish with it.

I`m still trying to learn not to leave holograms/trailers, it`s just hard sometimes and then other times it works fine.